General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-28-2008, 01:26 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/190/165

Height: 5'9

Default Would you rather be THIN/BEAUTIFUL or SMART?

Would you rather be THIN/BEAUTIFUL or SMART? I know I've read surveys in women's magazines and the majority polled say they'd rather be thin/beautiful? Is that so?

I've always felt that I was more on the smart side then the beautiful side although for the most part I like my tall figure (less the belly blob I'm working on) and my looks (despite a few quirky flaws).

Being smart and into business I've downplayed my looks, wanting to be respected for my mind. But now getting a bit older I'll admit that I'm having to "work" more at being attractive - in the old tall/thin days I could wear anything without much thought, now it's more about certain colors, clothes to hide flaws, blah, blah to feel confident.

Do few women have it all - smart and beautiful/thin? What does it seem it's one or the other?
horsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 01:58 AM   #2  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

ive been told many a time im the whole package....
that anyone wud want....
smart beautiful and clever....
though id never agree i was beautiful....
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 02:10 AM   #3  
loving my beautiful self

Height: 5'5"

Maybe everyone wants to feel beautiful in whatever way they define beauty. Perhaps it's a natural longing that emerges from within each of us in response to who we truly are at core - which I mean in a spiritual sense (according to my spiritual beliefs). Or maybe there are different longings for beauty - some that come from deep down inside, others that result from us wanting to be loved, desired, wanted, and even others in response to wanting something like the power that beauty represents, for example.

I want to be beautiful and smart (I am beautiful and smart?). Do I want to be thin? Sure, but that's more on a surface level. Deep down, I want to be beautiful, healthy, wise, loving, joyful, and loved

I'm not sure how much that answers your question I took a slightly different take on it I guess

Last edited by beautifulone; 07-28-2008 at 02:12 AM.
beautifulone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 03:26 AM   #4  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

i'd rather be smart. For the most part, there is a person out there who will like you regardless of your looks, but to get far in the world in terms of career (im quite career driven ^_^) you need a bit of intelligence
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 03:47 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

I value intellect way above looks. I also believe that thin doesn't always = attractive. Beauty is not just about what's on the outside but is the whole package.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 03:56 AM   #6  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

Thin/Beautiful.
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 05:31 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 325/ticker/175

Height: 5'3

I would much rather be intelligent than slim/beautiful. In the past, when dating, a man could be hot as all get out, but if he opened his mouth and had an IQ of 70, it was a real turn off.. looks fade with time. no matter how attractive you are, it will fade. Have you ever seen someone you thought was so hot as a teenager and you see them now and go 'oh my god'? lol...
Im going to opt for Healthy and intelligent for my choice
jimaterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 05:52 AM   #8  

If I were thin/beautiful RATHER than smart, I wouldn't worry about being valued just for a body because I'd be dumb and wouldn't be able to figure that out, right?

So, because I'm a smart lady over thin/beautiful, I elect to be dumb, ignorant-and-blissful, and get all the attention I want! Yeeha.
CousinRockingChair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 06:56 AM   #9  
Struggler

S/C/G: 233/218/150?

Height: 5'4"

I already have way above avg intelligence, so THAT'S a given.

And I've been told I'm quite "the looker," so I guess I'd settle for a HEALTHY weight (THIS bod don't do thin well !).
Mollikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 06:57 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 155/118/118

Height: 5'2

Well I've had plenty of time to enjoy being smart, so I think I'd take beautiful/thin. I agree with Cousin, ignorance is bliss.

BUT-- if there was a third choice, being smart, being beautiful/thin, or being RICH.... Gimme the money!
jellydisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:00 AM   #11  

If I were smart enough, I could figure out how to be thin and beautiful, too.
Elizabeth Isabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:18 AM   #12  

I love those 2 last answers. It's almost like a philosophical question, isn't it?

If you were rich and smart enough to find a great surgeon/hire a 24/7 personal trainer..lol
CousinRockingChair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:18 AM   #13  

I think it depends on when in my life you'd ask me. I used to turn heads in my 20's and early 30's, and I was always thought of as pretty. I'd have people approach me on the street to comment on my looks (now, I would think that's creepy). I'm glad I had those experiences, so I can't say that I would never have wanted to be gorgeous. However, now I'm 40, and I just do not look as good as I used to. My looks started fading in my late 30's (lost a good deal of hair, wrinkles started forming, gravity kicked in w/ my body, etc.). I'm still attractive, but I'm not pretty (at least in my opinion). I'll admit that the dearth of comments & looks has been a tough pill to swallow, but I've gotten used to it. So, since I've had the experience of being pretty already, I think I'd choose smart because smart lasts longer.
lynnm39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:27 AM   #14  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Isabelle View Post
If I were smart enough, I could figure out how to be thin and beautiful, too.
Ahh, this is just what I was thinking.

But for me, it's not necessarily thin/beautiful that I would be after. It would be thin/HEALTHY. That would be my aim. I should say that IS my aim.

And to me, being smart and healthy is pretty darn beautiful.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:34 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I have always been of above average intelligence-I skipped a grade in school and could have skipped more than that-but my parents did not want me to be too much younger than my classmates. I was 16 when I was a senior, and I have scores that qualify me for Mensa. I am not currently a member, although I receive their mailings. I have not yet found the time to go and get it all done officially. Someday I will.

I would definitely rather be smart. If you are smart, you have so many more opportunities. I am also aware that I can ALSO be thin/beautiful if I keep working at it.

I normally don't watch shows like this, but on one episode of Judge Judy, she told a young lady that "Beauty fades...DUMB IS FOREVER!" So, so true. There are many times when I want to say this to people.

I would rather be smart, because honestly, if you are beautiful and dumb...what happens when you turn 60, 70, 80, 90? You are not always going to have the face, hair, and body that you did when you were young, and if you get by on your looks...what do you have to offer when you are 80?
(I keep telling this to my younger brother who tends to date dumb, beautiful girls...)
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote