General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-06-2011, 11:27 AM   #1  

Default Chiropractic help

I've never been to a chiropractor, although I know people who swear by them. I have been thinking of going to one, though, because I ride horses and I noticed that my back and hips hurt after riding. And if I'm out of alignment, my horse is out of alignment.

Yesterday I got bucked off a horse and had a pretty hard fall. I'm very bruised on my left side and I'm pretty sure I tweaked something in my back.

Right now I can't imagine anyone touching me, and I think it's going to take a few days to feel better, but should I go to a chiro sooner rather than later?

Thanks for any advice!
Darby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:07 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I think ice and ibuprofen are your friend right now.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:15 PM   #3  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I would go. I had problems with a disk a few years ago and it was so bad I couldn't lay down, sit or stand. Just constant pain. I went to see a chiropractor and he fixed it in about 10 days, just before I started a new job. I am going ever since for routine checks and also when I have problems. I am totally convinced he is helping me with any joint, back or even headache problem.
I ask my family doctor once and he said he would have given me pain medication for my disk and probably suggested surgery. Yikes! According to my chiro about 85% of the surgeries are not necessary. It can be fixed especially when it is the first time and only after a few incidents a year he might suggest surgery.

My advice: Try it. See if you can find a good one and see how you feel after a few appointments. Look for one that looks at your whole body instead of only the problem area and somebody who wants to understand your life, activities and work. Mine knows more about me than a family doctor. He is not after a quick fix but fixing the whole body i.e. the cause (like a chair in the office or any habits that might affect your body).

PS: Sooner rather than later!

Last edited by josey; 05-06-2011 at 12:15 PM.
josey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:37 PM   #4  
Fat Chick on a Mission

S/C/G: 216/ticker/150

Height: 5ft 3in

If you're going, why not do it when you can get some relief? Everyone who goes to a chiro goes because they are having pain/discomfort, so they are accustomed to dealing with people in that state.

My chiro-before he works on me at all he uses heat, ice, ultrasound, massage, or electrostim to loosen me up first.
dragonlady1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:28 PM   #5  
ugggg.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonlady1978 View Post
If you're going, why not do it when you can get some relief? Everyone who goes to a chiro goes because they are having pain/discomfort, so they are accustomed to dealing with people in that state.

My chiro-before he works on me at all he uses heat, ice, ultrasound, massage, or electrostim to loosen me up first.
mine too, I love my chiro...
jules1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:43 PM   #6  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

my experience was not the same, i found him to be gentle in demeanor but then fairly brutal on my body. i went for several months then gave up, i think the treatments were making things worse for me, but i was desperate to try everything to fix my problem.

if you're hurting that much, i'd recommend giving it a couple days to calm down before going in.
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:38 PM   #7  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

I quit going! Don't like them anymore. It took me a while before getting rid of the pain because at first it hurts. I would rather do the ice and ibuprofen as someone suggested
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:33 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 256/251/145

Height: 5'6"

I'm sorry that this happened to you. With all due respect please do not listen to thb onse that say not to go. I worked for a chiropractor for 10 years until he retired. There a good and bad chiropractors out there like in any profession. If I was you I would call around and discuss your situation. Most should have a free consultation. It'a true you are too sore for a spinal adjustment but they should be able to offer therapies that will give you some relief and eventually you should be able to enjoy riding pain free.
scarletmeshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:48 AM   #9  

Thanks for all your replies! I'm starting to feel a lot better and I got a recommendation for a chiro. I think by next week I should be able to handle it. I use a chiropractor for my horses; it would make sense to try it for myself!

Thanks again!
Darby1 is offline   Reply With Quote