General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-19-2011, 11:54 AM   #1  

Default I need fitness employment ideas

I got the dreaded call this morning. I did not get the full time teaching job. The person who got it already has certification to teach adapted phy ed, I do not. The person who got it is my boss.

I live in a small community and phy ed teaching jobs are few and far between. Plus, there is a government proposal that would mean fewer phy ed teachers are needed. My degree is about to be useless to me.

Options:
1. Apply for my boss's current position = not a lot of pay, required working hours that interfere with my children being at home, no benefits, not a lot of fun, but it's work so that's to be expected.

2. Drum up business for personal training and continue teaching fitness classes at the gym and sub teach when I can = not a lot of pay, no benefits, and not a steady, reliable income, but I make my own hours and it never intereferes with my kids.

3. A totally different job in fitness - but what???

4. A totally different career = hard to do because the closest 4 year college is 2.5 hours away.

5. Fill in the blank. Any ideas?

I'm pretty bummed. Had my boss not applied for the same teaching job, it was MINE. I was a shoe-in. But $ talks and they would've had to spend $ for me to get the adapted certification.
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:27 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Would your bosses job at least be steady income since your current income is not steady and you have no benefits as is?

If I were in your shoes I'd 1- apply for your bosses old job, as much as it's hard to spend less time with your kids more money would be beneficial regardless of whether you get benefits or not (since you have none already).

Can you get the adapted certification thing on your own in the meantime as well in case something else opens up? And who knows- what if she gets in the position then leaves again- if you then have that certification you will be even more qualified for the job.

As for switching industries and going back to school- with this economy I'd be hesitant to spend even MORE money on schooling.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:34 PM   #3  
Fit Jeff

S/C/G: 301/195

Height: 5'11"

Start a blog giving tips on weight loss or sharing your story. You can make ad revenue from links on your page. Sorry about the job problem. It always stinks when things don't work out the way you want them to.
shakespearestoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:17 AM   #4  

There are going to be changes with my boss's job when she leaves. Hopefully, as an employee, I can influence the changes to better fit my schedule. The pay still sux, tho.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:39 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 163/143/135ish

Height: 5'2

Have you thought about being going into a patient care coordinator for a nursing home or assisted living facility? Basically what these people do is plan out activities for the residents as well as aid in physical therapy, training, excercise, nutrition, couselingetc. This job can be part time or full time. It's typically pretty flexible and old people can be just as fun and interesting as those young whipper snapper kids.

Also you could go back to school and get a PT certification that way you can start your own buisness and tweak it how you like.
RachaelJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:05 PM   #6  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

As far as more education goes, online classes. Practically all colleges now have an online program. You could graduate from U of Hawaii and never set foot on the island!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:22 PM   #7  

Rachael, there is a new assisted living home here. Maybe I could work there if they have a program, or maybe I can set things up through where I work. Great idea!

As far as PT, I'd need a couple of additional undergrad courses and you need to go to PT school post grad. PT schools are fewer and farther away than regular colleges! I already checked into that.

Yes, I've thought of online college, but I have no direction as to what field. I haven't a clue what I wanna be when I grow up.