3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   LOL! The FBI is INSISTING I answer questions. (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/232568-lol-fbi-insisting-i-answer-questions.html)

cbmare 05-05-2011 01:12 PM

LOL! The FBI is INSISTING I answer questions.

I got no less than 8 emails from the FBI in my inbox at work. Everyone of them stated that I'd visited illegal websites and it is VERY IMPORTANT THAT I ANSWER THEIR QUESTIONS.

Do people actually fall for this crap? Don't they know that the real FBI would be at the door?

mj5 05-05-2011 01:14 PM

You too!??? Wow, I thought it was just me that visited all those illegal websites, at work, no less.......I am SO sick of this email!!!!

And sadly, there probably is someone who has fallen for it.........

4star 05-05-2011 01:15 PM

Yep they do fall for that. I guess people don't consider that if the FBI wanted to talk to you, they'd probably drop by your house for a chat. :dizzy:

beerab 05-05-2011 01:25 PM

Let me guess it asks for your credit card and stuff also?

My dad got an email like that asking for his credit cards and I was like dad it's a SCAM hello!

I've gotten a bunch for paypal and stuff saying they lost my info and they need it again. I usually fill it in with things like "go to ****" and other stuff and then send it off lol.

cbmare 05-05-2011 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beerab (Post 3837422)
I've gotten a bunch for paypal and stuff saying they lost my info and they need it again. I usually fill it in with things like "go to ****" and other stuff and then send it off lol.

Never thought of doing that. I love it! I don't open the mail or attachments. I figure there is a virus in there waiting to eat my puter.

mandalinn82 05-05-2011 01:50 PM

Most companies (PayPal included) have an email address to forward such messages to. That way, they can work on actually shutting down the scammer. I'd be careful about clicking the links for the reason Cbmare stated...never know what's lurking on a link you're fraudulently enticed to click.

The email addresses to forward to are usually in the format "Spoof@<organization>.com" For example, [email protected] or [email protected].

nelie 05-05-2011 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beerab (Post 3837422)

Actually I'd avoid doing anything. Best to delete and forget about it.
(edited: or do what Amanda said but For the most part I'd recommend avoid even opening the email)

Many of the websites are full of malware that you may be vulnerable to even with the best antivirus. Many of these phishing attempts are for the express purpose of getting you to click on the link so that they can attack your system. Also, you may be verifying that your email address is valid thus putting you on further lists.

cbmare 05-05-2011 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nelie (Post 3837468)
Actually I'd avoid doing anything. Best to delete and forget about it.
(edited: or do what Amanda said but For the most part I'd recommend avoid even opening the email)

Many of the websites are full of malware that you may be vulnerable to even with the best antivirus. Many of these phishing attempts are for the express purpose of getting you to click on the link so that they can attack your system. Also, you may be verifying that your email address is valid thus putting you on further lists.

That's why I have preview screen open so I can see what is in there without opening it.

cbmare 05-05-2011 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mandalinn82 (Post 3837467)
The email addresses to forward to are usually in the format "Spoof@<organization>.com" For example, [email protected] or [email protected].

Wonder if there is a "[email protected]". LOL.

beerab 05-05-2011 02:05 PM

Only reason I think you wouldn't get a virus is they don't want to make your computer crash while you are typing your info to them. But I haven't seen one in a while anyways- I think they are all going to my spam as it is lol.

I have a great spyware and anti-virus program too :)

But yes for the not so computer savvy I wouldn't recommend opening them if you think it might be dangerous :)

NiteOwlMommy 05-05-2011 02:36 PM

Oh! My favorite ones are when the prince of Nigeria desperately needs to contact me to give me some moneys that a relative has left me LOL! I read on a forum somewhere about a guy who actually answers these people back and asks THE stupidest questions till the scanners stop responding I'll try to look it up, it's just so funny!

beerab 05-05-2011 02:56 PM

OMG please find it that sounds HILARIOUS!

cbmare 05-05-2011 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiteOwlMommy (Post 3837540)
Oh! My favorite ones are when the prince of Nigeria desperately needs to contact me to give me some moneys that a relative has left me LOL! I read on a forum somewhere about a guy who actually answers these people back and asks THE stupidest questions till the scanners stop responding I'll try to look it up, it's just so funny!

Sadly, there are people who send them money. I was listening to Clark Howard and someone called in asking how to get his mother to stop sending money. She'd sent almost $10,000! Clark suggested seeing a lawyer to begin conservatorship. Oh, and a call to the police and feds. That money was gone forever but he had to find a way to stop her.

beerab 05-05-2011 03:29 PM

I have known people to personally send the money also cbmare. It's sad. I had a friend start out by sending a bit of money, like $100 to pay a bill to some girl he liked. Well at least he thought it was a girl. Then she kept asking for more and more money and we were like HELLO ALL you have is a picture and online chatting! You have never heard her voice or anything!

nelie 05-05-2011 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beerab (Post 3837501)
Only reason I think you wouldn't get a virus is they don't want to make your computer crash while you are typing your info to them. But I haven't seen one in a while anyways- I think they are all going to my spam as it is lol.

I have a great spyware and anti-virus program too :)

But yes for the not so computer savvy I wouldn't recommend opening them if you think it might be dangerous :)

I can't go into too many details but part of my job deals with computer security. You'd be surprised at the things I've seen on fully patched, up to date systems with all the latest and greatest security tools. Not all viruses crash or slow down your system. They may wait for you to visit your banking website or check for any financial documents on your system.

So for safety, I'd say never click on the links.