General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-15-2011, 03:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 224/200/140

Height: 5'4''

Wink prom! ah!

i didn't know if this should go here or weight loss support, so sorry in advance! well i'm a junior in high school, and i figured since most of you lovely ladies are older than me and have been there, that you could help me out with your wisdom! (:

prom is on may 21st, and i really want it just to be a fun night. but being 5'4'' and almost 200 lbs, i feel like i'm just going to be awkward and uncomfortable the whole night ):

my biggest problem is my arms. i hate them right now! i've been in the progress of toning them + losing weight for a long time and it just doesn't seem to happen (i've lost weight, just not there. i wish spot reducing existed sometimes, so much). i'm not sure there's much to try but does anybody have any advice? my goal is to still lose 10 lbs by then, so MAYBE that will help a little.

also, does anybody have any idea what kind of dress would look the least...bad on a chick my size? i don't want it to be really conservative at all, but i'm not really into fashion and don't know if there's a certain style that could slim me down a bit (; i'm already planning on wearing my bodyshaper so woohoo for that!

the last bit, the non weight related issue one: my date! the guy i want to go with is a senior, and today he was hinting at going with me.. he asked if i had a date, and said i could always take a senior, and that he wasn't doing anything that night.. i really want to go with him but i know i have to be the one to do the asking, since it's MY proms since i'm a junior and he's a senior, but i'm nervous! help?!

thank you everybody, you're all always so helpful
partiovascular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:57 PM   #2  

Height: 5'9"

First of all, the guy couldn't have made it ANY more obvious that he would say yes. So, there is nothing to be afraid of! But, do you have his number? It is easier to ask over the phone if you do.

As far as the dress, I was stick thin in high school, buuuuut, I hated my arms, too, because they were so pasty white! I wore a strappy dress, but had a matching scarf that I draped around my arms all night. I know almost every bridesmaid dress at David's Bridals comes with those because some churches require that your arms are covered. Maybe go prom dress shopping there?

Finally, GO TO PROM. You will have so much fun!!!!
Amberelise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

I agree with the poster above. He gave you everything but a written invitation to ask him.

As for a prom dress, I was self conscious of my arms too so I had a dress that came with a shawl. However, if you find a dress you love that doesn't have one, just go look for matching fabric and have one made. It should be pretty inexpensive.

My problem areas are my tummy/hips so if I had to choose something youthful and formal it would be something like this:

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/produc...xx.esn_results

I'm partial to long dresses though.

Good luck and have fun!
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 336/280/218/150

OK, styles....A-line is usually most slimming on us bigger women. An empire or high waisted dress helps to hide the tummy bulge, but be careful - some of these dressses make you look prego.
Accentuate the stuff you like - hate your arms? Show some cleavage and no one will be looking at your arms! Don't get lacy or puffy anything - they just add pounds. Get a jewel tone gown (not shiny material) - a bright colour looks better than pastels on us, black is always an option (boring...)
My wedding dress was an A-line and I used a little bolero jacket to cover my wings - it hit me just under the bust line so it made my bewbies look great!
Anyways, take along a trusted advisor - someone who will give you an honest opinion. If they let you, take pictures in each dress you try on before you buy. Get every angle possible, and really look at them when you get home. Pictures will be a big part of your night, and you don't want to regret how you look. That being said, be comfortable in whatever you wear, and your inner beauty will come thru! (corny, but true)
Laura G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:16 PM   #5  

thanks everybody! next time i talk to him i'll bring it up again and see if i can work up the courage to ask (; fingers crossed!

i'm going to definitely look into some dresses with shawls and see what i can do to pull attention awaaay from those arms. i'm taking along my best friend who i know will be completely honest with what looks best.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:30 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

Thumbs up on the friend. Since we can't see you, we can't say what will look good, although I do like the scarf or shawl suggestion.

Oh, and that guy is BEGGING you to take him. I know it's not easy to get up the nerve, but you'll be glad once you did!
zoodoo613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:14 PM   #7  

I think any dress that you feel good in will show you off. I agree with having a shawl or Bolero jacket to cover your arms. Please take a pic to share with us and have a wonderful night!
Idealperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:27 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 290/290/147

I have dress suggestions if you don't mind black. They're dressy enough but not super prommy.

http://www.kiyonna.com/plus-size-clo...ktail/12060902

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/js-colle...esultback=1018

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/js-colle...esultback=3341

I have seen these all in person and they all could look really young with the right hair and accessories. I LOVE the third one. It just looks...rich? If that's the right word, in person. It looks expensive and special, the picture doesn't do it justice. Since they're black, it leaves you plenty of room for (I hate this word) pops of color in the shoes or hair accessories or whatever but they don't look cheesy or cheap. Lots of cleavage so...ymmv on your comfort level with that.

Why do you have to ask the guy? I thought juniors host the prom for seniors, but since both years go anyone can ask anyone? I'm not saying you shouldn't ask him, just wondering how much things have changed!
NiteNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:38 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteNicole View Post
I have dress suggestions if you don't mind black. They're dressy enough but not super prommy.

I have seen these all in person and they all could look really young with the right hair and accessories. I LOVE the third one. It just looks...rich? If that's the right word, in person. It looks expensive and special, the picture doesn't do it justice. Since they're black, it leaves you plenty of room for (I hate this word) pops of color in the shoes or hair accessories or whatever but they don't look cheesy or cheap. Lots of cleavage so...ymmv on your comfort level with that.

Why do you have to ask the guy? I thought juniors host the prom for seniors, but since both years go anyone can ask anyone? I'm not saying you shouldn't ask him, just wondering how much things have changed!
thanks for the suggestions! they're cute, i like the third one most too! i'm gunna have to find a nordstrom around me!

and, well my prom is only for juniors... our school is weird. you can take anybody, but one of you has to be a junior and normally the junior does the asking. we don't have a senior prom, it's weird!
Old 04-15-2011, 06:01 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

We were really weird when I was in school. Elementary was k-6, Jr. High was 7-9 and High school was 10-12.

So I had a dance my freshman year before high school. I went to my boyfriend's senior prom when I was a sophomore, then my school hosted a junior/senior prom so I went to that my junior year.

I didn't have a senior prom because I graduated my junior year.

Since it's your prom and seniors can't go unless the date of another, you will definitely have to buck up and ask him. After all the hints he's dropped, the odds of him saying no are very very slim.

Those dresses are very nice. I always liked being prommy though. How often do you get to have your parents buy a big fancy dress and go all out? I think it would depend on the tone your friends take as to how fufu to go.
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:31 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 298/238...285.5/217/150

Height: 5'5"

Without knowing your coloring and shape, most have shawl available these are some of my favorites:

Everyone looks good in teal
http://www.sydneyscloset.com/asp/pro...catalogid=2715

classic black and white
http://www.sydneyscloset.com/prom_dr...yle_B70521.asp

this one strap caught my eye for the empire waist
http://www.sydneyscloset.com/asp/pro...catalogid=2638

tea length black with sparkles
http://www.sydneyscloset.com/prom_dr..._Style_332.asp

strapless and empire waist in jewel colors
http://www.sydneyscloset.com/asp/pro...catalogid=2676
DixC Chix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:32 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 290/290/147

I think I just have issues with the whole shawl situation. Having had to negotiate them as a bridesmaid a few times, they're just sort of a pain in the butt and they look so awkward in pictures and they're forever getting in the way or sliding off and you have to hold your arms funny all night. For a while in the 90s there was this thing with wearing them tied in the back which is adorable from the back but makes you look like the prow of a ship from the front. I never learned to work a pashmina either, so I'm glad that trend died.

Although I have half strangled myself with a scar before, so don't go by me.
NiteNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:35 PM   #13  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

I think you have already had some great suggestions. One thing to consider is that because you are on the shorter side there could be a benefit to choosing a longer style. If it is too long for you and you need it altered then there may be enough material to make a sash or bolero if it doesn't already come with one.

Here are some that would probably work well:
http://www.bellaboutique.com/store/p...cat=275&page=1

http://www.charliesbridal.com/plus-s...88-p-7726.html

http://www.charliesbridal.com/halter...26-p-8978.html

http://www.charliesbridal.com/halter...12-p-7532.html

http://www.sydneyscloset.com/asp/pro...catalogid=2678

The first one may show off more than you'd like at the top, I put it in there because the way the material is designed almost gives it a vertical stripe and we all know that helps. You can look for things like that to help too, not just the cut of the dress. A lot of dresses have silver or gold accents, if the one you choose does then you might want to consider matching a scarf or bolero to that instead of the main color, a good way to add sparkle without doing it in a way that is not figure flattering. Of course avoid any really loud patterns, giant bows, too much fluff, too much sparkle. If you would avoid it in regular clothes because it is not flattering then doubly avoid it in a prom dress. One trick that I use in deciding about any of my clothing is to ask myself if I had a friend who was shaped like me and had my coloring, would I advise her to wear it.

As for the guy, he has done everything but ask you himself. I know you will still be nervous, but you should go ahead and ask, I'm sure you won't regret it and you will almost certainly regret not asking if you choose not to.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 03:03 PM   #14  

thanks for the help everyone! i bought a dress today, i'm pretty happy with it! i'll post a picture. now i just need to talk to that boy... (:
Old 04-17-2011, 04:23 PM   #15  

here it is! notice me hiding my arms :/ haha

Last edited by partiovascular; 04-17-2011 at 04:30 PM.