3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   How Many Items in Your Wardrobe? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/228934-how-many-items-your-wardrobe.html)

neon_zephyr 03-26-2011 01:09 AM

How Many Items in Your Wardrobe?

So, I was just reading some things online about how to de-clutter your wardrobe when you're in between sizes and working actively to lose weight, and found a LOT of stuff about closet de-cluttering. I am not a fashion-savvy person, really, but over the years, I've ended up with an overflowing closet that has too many pieces. I can never really bring myself to throw things out, but, I'm working up to a serious purging of the wardrobe. Lots of people posted about minimizing their wardrobes and I was *shocked* to hear about how few items were in many people's closets. It seems I should manage a textile reduction of my own ASAP.

Anyway, out of curiosity, and if you feel like answering:

How many items do you have in your closet?

JessLess 03-26-2011 07:02 AM

I have a ton, more than I can count from here, certainly. For example, for pants, I have 2 pairs of dress pants, two pairs of cords, three pairs of jeans that fit, and one pair that are too big. And then I have about 3x as many skirts.

I went from a job where I wore suits to one that's business casual so I have full wardrobes in each. I have sizes 22-14 represented. I need to try on all my spring clothes and either tailor or move out the stuff that's too big.

As long as it's stuff I wear once in awhile, I'd just as soon keep it around.

Horo 03-26-2011 08:37 AM

Honestly, too many to count(my closet is stuffed to the brim) though they're all in my size and anything I do keep(I donate a decent amount of things I don't wear anymore twice yearly or so), I wear with at least some regularity.

niafabo 03-26-2011 09:44 AM

stuff that doesn't fit at all
------------------------------
8 XL t-shirts
3 dress shirts
3 pairs of size 16 pants
2 pairs of size 20 shorts
1 pair of XL pajamas
2 pair of XL stretchy pants,

stuff that comes close enough
------------------------------------
3 pairs of size 14 pants
1 size 14 skirt
2 dress shirts
2 large t-shirts

stuff that actually fit
--------------------
1 pair of exercise pants
1 pair of size 12s
2 large t-shirts (the "clingy" kind)

So yeah seems like I have a lot of stuff in my closet but I can't wear more than half of it. Really should clean it out. XD

bargoo 03-26-2011 10:24 AM

Too many to count, when I reached goal I went on the mother of all shopping sprees, my closet will not hold it all.

friendlykat4u 03-26-2011 11:03 AM

To be honest I never bother counting everything I have. I have been getting rid of clothes little by little, clothes that are either too big or too small.

I realized that with the smaller clothes by the time I do manage to fit into them they're no longer in style. I do keep some classic pieces that I just love.

I also wear business casual to work so that helps. I was never one to like getting dressed up.

I'm not a fashion guru, I just like comfortable clothes. I don't buy designer items, too much money for me.

It does feel good to get rid of things. I donate clothes all the time. It makes me feel good to help someone else out and gives me a feeling of accomplishment to declutter. :)

berryblondeboys 03-26-2011 11:41 AM

Don't throw out clothes. Consign them or donate them and if you donate, get a tax receipt and deduct from your taxes next year. Every year we get a deduction of about $300-$500 for all we donate year to year.

berryblondeboys 03-26-2011 11:45 AM

And yes, I have a lot, but I am weeding it all out. From my dressers as I go, but I still need to go through my closet. For what fits, I have 2 jeans, 2 slacks, about 5 shirts, 2 sweaters and several pajamas for winter to summer. All my shorts and t-shirts are too big, but I'll hold onto the shirts for workouts for now. I have several too small things waiting for me, but that's about it. I hope to wear those this summer.

caitlin0516 03-26-2011 12:04 PM

I'm not sure on an exact number, but I have enough to last two weeks without doing laundry in both everyday clothes and work clothes. So..10 pairs of work pants and 5 or 6 pairs of jeans? I don't mind wearing my clothes more than once as long as they're not dirty or stinky. As for shirts - 15 or so work shirts, and maybe 10 at most casual shirts.

As a general rule, if I buy something new because the old item doesn't fit, is stained, out of style or whatever, I donate it and replace it with the new item. I also freecycle my old clothes, and get tons of new stuff all the time from there. I'm not really changing sizes too much, but if you are, its a great way to get items in your size for cheap and then pass them on to the next person when you outgrow(undergrow?) them.

ShesLosingIt 03-26-2011 12:06 PM

I have a ton right now but nothing seems to fit (so not complaining!) but at the same time, I'm kind of hesitant to get rid of my old 36W pants & 56DD bras because my brain is like "OMG, what if you forget how fat you were? What if you get fat again? You know that bra cost $45, you can't throw it out even if it doesn't fit anymore..." etc... etc... I probably have at LEAST 15-20 items in my wardrobe that are size 3X/24W or bigger and I'm in size 16/18 (depends on the brand) bottoms and XL tops now.

In regard to things that actually fit? 4 (I have about 9 total but only 4 really fit properly) pairs of jeans (my job has a uber-casual dress code so I live in them), 2 pairs of cargos, 1 pair of khaki capris, 1 pair of black slacks, 3 bras (2 regular underwire, 1 sports), 3 cardigans, 2 button up 3/4 length sleeve tops, 2 sweaters, 5 cami tops, 2 dressy tops, 1 sweater coat, 3 hoodies, 1 insulated vest, 1 trench coat, 1 puffy North Face coat, about 10 tops including t-shirts and long-sleeve shirts.

I do hope to eventually move up the ranks at my job and I know that means I'll have to get a dressier wardrobe (the higher-ups don't have the same dress code that we peons do) so maybe once I reach goal or something, I'll look into it. Too bad I hate wearing heels and dressy clothes, huh?

berryblondeboys 03-26-2011 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShesLosingIt (Post 3776058)
... I'm kind of hesitant to get rid of my old 36W pants & 56DD bras because my brain is like "OMG, what if you forget how fat you were? What if you get fat again? You know that bra cost $45, you can't throw it out even if it doesn't fit anymore..." etc... etc...

Get rid of everything except your biggest pants and your biggest bra. You don't need a wardrobe of it to remind you. One or two pieces will do. I have kept one pair of jeans (the ones that were getting worn out any way and donated the nicer pair). If ever I feel huge in the future because of a 5 lbs weight gain or something, I will pull out those size 20Ws and remind myself of where I've been and will keep myself from ever being there again. My new motto is, once I get to my set goal, is to never buy up a size again. If pants get too tight, I have to lose the weight to fit into them again.

xty 03-26-2011 01:10 PM

I will admit to being a total fashionista - my handbags alone are insured, lol.

But regardless of whether you are or arent into caring about fashion...this is my suggested guideline for closet sanity: anything you havent worn in 6mo, separate and store. If you still havent worn it an additional 6mo later, donate or sell or ebay.

The reason for the additional 6 month rule is 1) people with seasons 2) weight fluctuations.

And regardless of when I last wore something, I discard anything damaged (dirty/holes/etc). Some people keep those for working out or whatever, but it makes me feel like a slob (personally) to wear stuff like that.

FrouFrou 03-27-2011 01:25 AM

Too much to count but...I did get rid of LOTS when I moved recently! And...I only have the size I wear now. I am seriously trying to declutter but hate getting rid of things. Finally coming to the realization that if I haven't worn it in over a year I'm not going to so what is the point in having it.

Laneyy 03-27-2011 07:58 AM

I seem to always be the one who ends up with clothes that other people don't want anymore. I must have at least 15 pairs of dress pants, 5 pairs of jeans, 1 pair of khakis for work, and at least 8 pairs of pajama/workout pants. I have at least 20 t-shirts, and 15 dressy-ish office appropriate shirts, 2 polos for work and 3 button ups for work. I also have 4 sweatshirts, 2 peacoats, 1 parka/anorak/poofy winter coat, 1 spring weather type jacket, and 7 sweaters.

I need textile reduction. And the thing is, I HATE getting rid of stuff. I just feel bad. I really need to go through everything and throw stuff out that isn't in good enough shape to give to Goodwill, and then donate everything else.