3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   My 11 yr old DD and Friends/Boys (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/228878-my-11-yr-old-dd-friends-boys.html)

ddc 03-25-2011 09:57 AM

I have an 11 yr old daughter. I do not let her have a facebook account.
Therefore, I would close the account. No account, no cyberbullying.

KimZ 03-25-2011 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4star (Post 3774445)
You have more restraint than me. I probably would have sent an email back saying "my friends think your an arse." LOL!

Then I would have promptly notified fb of THAT underage user so they can cut off his account. :D

I wanted so bad to send something back... but then it makes me as bad as either Him/His Brother/His Friends or whoever sent the orig email right... personally i'm a Mama Lion.... but I'm learning to wait and see is better :D

KimZ 03-25-2011 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddc (Post 3774459)

Yeah I thought of that but..... you know 99% of her friends have one

4star 03-25-2011 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KimZ (Post 3774477)
I wanted so bad to send something back... but then it makes me as bad as either Him/His Brother/His Friends or whoever sent the orig email right... personally i'm a Mama Lion.... but I'm learning to wait and see is better :D

There is no fair in love or war dear. You call my baby fat and it's on.

That's abusive and meant to take aim at your child's self esteem. Girls with low self-esteem want to please guys. Please watch that situation, just b/c a boy is 11 doesn't mean he won't manipulate another person. Some boys are really good at running down impressionable girls to get them under their thumb. Their naivety about how horrible it is to do that to someone is just as strong as a young girl's naivety that the boy has only the best intentions.

midwife 03-25-2011 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddc (Post 3774459)

Agree 100%.

I have an 11 year old daughter too. She doesn't have a facebook either. Or a cell phone.

Thighs Be Gone 03-25-2011 10:24 AM

Just a question from me here. Are you friends with any families at the new school yet? If not, maybe it would be a good time to start making some calls and inviting folks over.

I am totally pissed to hear your daughter is being bullied. Have you gone to the school? Called any parents? Gone door knocking?

I also have a daughter near the same age. We won't be doing FB until at least HS for reasons just like this one. Although my children and your children know what to do and what not to do, other parents aren't teaching their kids the same internet manners. Kids do stupid things in real life and most especially on the net.

Why do think your daughter feels the need for a BF at such a young age? Does she have plenty of other male presence in her life?

Please don't be offended. These are just questions that popped in my head.

4star 03-25-2011 10:40 AM

You know, maybe you want to show her that. This could be a learning experience about guys, peer pressure, and manipulation. You could just turn this into a way to teach her how to spot a not-worth-my-time guy. ;)

'Cause truth is, no one who truly liked you would care what his friends say and if his friends has something negative to say about you, he'd bring it up with them, not you.

KimZ 03-25-2011 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone (Post 3774509)
Just a question from me here. Are you friends with any families at the new school yet? If not, maybe it would be a good time to start making some calls and inviting folks over.

I am totally pissed to hear your daughter is being bullied. Have you gone to the school? Called any parents? Gone door knocking?

I also have a daughter near the same age. We won't be doing FB until at least HS for reasons just like this one. Although my children and your children know what to do and what not to do, other parents aren't teaching their kids the same internet manners. Kids do stupid things in real life and most especially on the net.

Why do think your daughter feels the need for a BF at such a young age? Does she have plenty of other male presence in her life?

Please don't be offended. These are just questions that popped in my head.

The bullying problem started last year when a girl in her class threatened to stab her with scissors and kill her whole family... it was reported and the child was removed and put at ALC (alternative Learning Center) this year she has had 1 girl try to turn everyone against her because this girl has always had the best grades in the class.... until my DD and another girl call her the B word.... because my DD won a gym award for the fastest runner... it has been a HECK of a year and I can't wait for the school year to be over! Nextyear she will be at a city run Charter School - which I have 4 friends that are teachers and most of my DD's Gymnastics Team goes to so she has a ton of friends there already. I asked her if she wanted me to switch her now...since there is a spot and she said no she doesn't want to leave her frineds... so I am just trying to hang on just 2 more months!

KimZ 03-25-2011 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4star (Post 3774538)
You know, maybe you want to show her that. This could be a learning experience about guys, peer pressure, and manipulation. You could just turn this into a way to teach her how to spot a not-worth-my-time guy. ;)

'Cause truth is, no one who truly liked you would care what his friends say and if his friends has something negative to say about you, he'd bring it up with them, not you.

I know which is why I haven't deleted it from my personal email box yet.... I just am not sure how to deal with it yet - sometimes I over-react and which is why I brought it here :D

Thighs Be Gone 03-25-2011 10:52 AM

I am glad you have another plan for her. I would definitely NOT show her the email or FB or whatver. I would just shut off the accounts and tell her you had decided she was too young. Then, I would make sure her self-esteem and self-respect was chalk full. The gymnastics thing sounds like a good place for her to be spending time and a good source of developing self-esteem too. Summer is just around the corner. Yahoo!

KimZ 03-25-2011 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone (Post 3774563)
I am glad you have another plan for her. I would definitely NOT show her the email or FB or whatver. I would just shut off the accounts and tell her you had decided she was too young. Then, I would make sure her self-esteem and self-respect was chalk full. The gymnastics thing sounds like a good place for her to be spending time and a good source of developing self-esteem too. Summer is just around the corner. Yahoo!

Which for her means..... 25 hrs of gymnastics a week + she helps run the camp there :D and we have Gymnastics Nationals :carrot: last year she ranked 5 in the country with her age and division :D

She LOVES Gymnastics and She LOVES school...now if I could just teach her mean people SUCK :devil:

KimZ 03-25-2011 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone (Post 3774563)

Hey I just noticed we have the exact same height! that made me smile that you are so great with your weight lose at your height.....

beerab 03-25-2011 10:59 AM

I guess I can only say what I'd do in my shoes if I were you.

I'd just explain to your daughter that as she gets older she'll learn that people are jealous and insecure and therefore they go out of their way to make people feel bad about themselves as well. Tell her she's smarter than to ever think she is fat or stupid or anything that these girls say.

THOUGH sounds like her "bf" is the kind of boy who likes to gossip- he shouldn't be passing the "my friends think you are fat" comments on. I would also explain to your daughter that some people ENJOY passing on the bad news and she might want to consider "breaking up" with him.

Though I would have kept the email and told her to respond with "oh well I don't care." A lot of time bullying is diffused when the person acts like they could care LESS what you think about them.

KimZ 03-25-2011 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beerab (Post 3774583)
I guess I can only say what I'd do in my shoes if I were you.

I'd just explain to your daughter that as she gets older she'll learn that people are jealous and insecure and therefore they go out of their way to make people feel bad about themselves as well. Tell her she's smarter than to ever think she is fat or stupid or anything that these girls say.

THOUGH sounds like her "bf" is the kind of boy who likes to gossip- he shouldn't be passing the "my friends think you are fat" comments on. I would also explain to your daughter that some people ENJOY passing on the bad news and she might want to consider "breaking up" with him.

Though I would have kept the email and told her to respond with "oh well I don't care." A lot of time bullying is diffused when the person acts like they could care LESS what you think about them.

I actually have a copy of the email still... I'm just not sure how to use it.... and now I am questioning if he really sent it since it was 11:30 last night!

KimZ 03-25-2011 11:02 AM

I absolutely LOVE all the advice I am getting here... keep it coming!