General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 02-21-2011, 04:38 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/10

Height: 5'2

Default Free housing on Craigslist: Too good to be true?

While browsing Craigslist today, I found an ad from a guy willing to rent out a room for free in exchange for housework and yard work. I'd basically have to clean his house and mow his lawn etc. It would give me a chance to look for a job in that city without having to worry about living expenses.

I figured, "why not?" and sent him an e-mail asking about the room. He responded asking about my story (was I a student, etc etc). I told him I'm 19 and female and he told me that he's male and twice my age. Not really my ideal roommate. After learning about me being 19, he suggested that instead of the room he could pay me to do his housework and yard work. He probably thought it would be uncomfortable to be roommates considering the age difference. I'm kind of iffy about meeting a roommate on Craigslist, especially one giving away a free room but he seems nice enough and it would be a great opportunity.

I'm going to be visiting that city next week, and I was thinking I could run by with my friend and meet the guy to see if he seems "off". However, I know looks can be deceiving. Does this seem like such an awful idea? My situation at home is bad so I might be blinded by desperation.

Edit: Wow this is the second time today that I've posted a topic in the wrong forum! I must be having an off day. Please move this to general chatter.

Last edited by Linsy; 02-21-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Linsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:59 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

That sounds like a horribly dangerous idea.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:18 AM   #3  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

Remember the "Craigslist Killer"??? Nuff said...run farrr farrrrrrrr A-W-A-Y!

Rule of thumb: If it sounds toooo good to be true...it is!
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:27 AM   #4  
Le geek, c'est chic

S/C/G: 232/see ticker/150ish

Height: 5'2" and change

Measure your risks and rewards. Chances are good that the guy isn't dangerous or even a creeper--but the negative consequences if he IS a creeper or worse are so dire that you don't want any part of that scene.

If I were in your shoes, I would politely decline. It's a shame that the world is the way it is, but...well, it is. The overwhelming majority of people are harmless and decent, but the consequences of running into one of the very few truly bad people are just too scary to overlook.

Keep looking; there will be other opportunities for you.
Nola Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:21 PM   #5  

Yeah, after thinking about it I decided that it's a bad idea. I had pretty much already decided that it was a bad idea before I even posted it, I was just curious about other opinions.

I agree that it sucks the way the world is. Wouldn't it be nice if we could trust everyone we meet?
Old 02-21-2011, 03:32 PM   #6  
Started over 4/29/12

Not long ago I heard about a similar story. A guy was offering free rent as long as the woman was willing to sleep with him!!
Inside edition investigated the case.
I'd say he probably wants more than yard work
time2loseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:37 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 189/186.8/160 (restart)

Height: 5'5"

The fact that HE thought it was probably not a good idea is a HUGE sign that it's probably not a good idea.

This guy seems decent, because he told you that it would be uncomfortable and he would be happy to hire you to do his housecleaning and yard work. You at least have the option of having a temp job there if you find a place to live elsewhere.

While crazy living situations like those exist all over the place, it's probably better to do your due diligence first and have plan B and plan C available if you need it.

Keep looking. You can find a job over the internet/phone. Once you have a job, you can figure out what's the best living situation for you in the new place.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:49 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/199

Height: 5'7"

There might be some alternative solutions that might not be so creepy.

When my step father's mother went into a nursing home, her husband was pretty much helpless. He'd never done his own laundry, cooked for himself (beyond a microwave) or such.

My mother and step father looked for a dependent college student to live in rent free to just prep meals, do a few loads of laundry and make sure there was no spoiled food in the fridge (he'd eat it anyway and end up sick... depression era mindset).

Unfortunately they couldn't find anyone reliable but it wouldn't have been a bad deal for the right person. Personally, I wouldn't have worried too much because it doesn't seem that hard to overpower a man who was pushing 90 at the time. But, this was posted locally and not on craigslist. You'd be better searching sites where the poster has to pay - it tends to cut down on some of the creepy people.

Good luck.
XLMuffnTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:57 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 186.6/181.8/150

Height: 5'9"

I found my roommate off of craigslist (her apt, I moved in). Obviously this sounds like a shady situation, but don't completely write off craigslist.
Be smart. When you meet them, don't go alone. And don't meet them in their home initially. Find a very public, busy place. If they are sincere about finding a roommate, they'll be willing to meet you in public first. I also recommend that you don't post your ad. I'd only respond to ads.
I know, a lot of people are going to disagree with me, but you really have to just be smart about it.
ade903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:24 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

My friend is living with someone in exchange for housework, but she knew him ahead of time. I found my current place and roommate on craigslist. I've had no problems and none of the other homes i viewed were sketchy either. I've also seen craigslist ads for free housing in exchange for helping the owner who has a physical disablity with things like getting from the wheelchairs to his bed, etc

Last edited by Aclai4067; 02-21-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:47 PM   #11  

Oh, I'm not writing off Craigslist at all. The place where I want to move is a college town with a university so Craigslist is FULL of college students looking for roommates. I'm definitely going to be using it to find a roommate if I end up moving there.

I'd love a situation where I could help elderly people in exchange for free or cheap rent. Unfortunately those are hard to come by (and if they do pop up, they want people with either caregiver or nursing experience).
Old 02-21-2011, 08:03 PM   #12  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

I think he should get props for honesty after hearing your situation and saying it's probably not a good fit.

He could be a totally legit honest and good hearted man who just needs housework, but is worried about you being a partier because of your age, or feeling too much like your "dad".

Or, he could be a creeper - but at least not a super sleazy scary creeper or else instead of saying "Maybe this isn't the best fit" he'd say "C'mon over, alone, without a cell phone, and leave your mace in your car.." y'anno?
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote