3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   Job Interview on Monday as a Teaching assistant! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/224036-job-interview-monday-teaching-assistant.html)

BellaLucia 01-28-2011 10:12 PM

Job Interview on Monday as a Teaching assistant!

Any advice for me besides the obvious ones of shaking the employer's hand firmly?

Ciao 01-29-2011 12:37 AM

EZMONEY 01-29-2011 08:44 AM

I have no advice other than be yourself...prayers are with you.

BellaLucia 01-29-2011 09:30 PM

Thanks so much!

XLMuffnTop 01-29-2011 10:13 PM

I would say if the topic of salary comes up, be a little vague and flexible such as "the going rate" or "open for discussion". My boss immediately threw out several candidates after their interview because they asked for salaries beyond what they could allow.

Good luck!

Ookpik 01-29-2011 11:32 PM

Dress appropriately, research the company/job, show up early for interview...can't think of any others at the moment, but Good Luck!

Shmead 01-30-2011 10:23 AM

For a teaching assistant? I assume this is for little kids. Expect hypothetical questions: "What would you do if you were supervising five kids on the playground and one fell an broke her nose?" The secret to all of these is to 1) be aware of all the kids (i.e. if you say "I'd rush her inside" they will say "what about the other 4 kids?") and 2) say you would follow policy. Say things like "Well, I hope I would know what the center policy is on these things, but if it wasn't clear, I would . . ."

Don't rush your answers. Stop and think a minute, then restate the question and answer it. Better to pause 30 seconds and give a great answer than to jump straight in and have to back out of a bad answer.

somethingnew912 01-30-2011 10:39 PM

I am a teacher, so here are a couple of my suggestions for this type of interview.

1. Kids are the 1st priority. Let them know that this is what you believe. Their education and safety is key. Sometimes people in education careers get so caught up with deciding what's "fair" for them (hours, pay, bonuses, paperwork) that they forget the focus is on the kids, not the adults. Sure, you will care about these things as well, but for the interview really drive home the idea that you are committed to the kids.
2. Educate yourself on the philosophies that drive that particular school/grade (is it Montessori? what grade are you hoping to work with? What are the particular needs for that grade?)
3. As far as discipline goes, the 3 key words that I have heard repeated (and try to practice) are firm, fair, and consistent. If you practice this, your classroom management skills will be off to a great start. If they do hypothetical questions about behavior, I would use these as guiding points.

Good luck! Feel free to ask any questions.