General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 02-03-2011, 11:19 AM   #1  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Default Stupid question, but here goes:

So, with this leg of the weight loss journey, I decided to take measurements as the scale has a tendency to stay still, but I know what' I'm doing for exercise and eating right is still working. So, measurements will help, but, how do you take measurements of your waist?

When I stand up straight, I ALWAYS hold my stomach in a bit. I don't let it all hang out there. But for taking an accurate waist measurement, what's best?

I realize that when I took my waist measurement a week ago, I was probably sucking it in a bit - as per normal stance in such a situation and I measured today... with it sucked in (not painfully, but more naturally) and when it's all hanging out and there are two different measurements... which got me thinking! With legs and chest and hips, that's a non issue, but that waist!

Last edited by berryblondeboys; 02-03-2011 at 11:20 AM.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 11:46 AM   #2  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Just be consistent with how you do it; if you sucked in a little the first time, continue to do so. Don't paunch it out and then suck it in after a month to see results, etc. Consistency - always measure in the same spot and then there's no questioning yourself. Or do it both ways
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:03 PM   #3  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nationalparker View Post
Just be consistent with how you do it; if you sucked in a little the first time, continue to do so. Don't paunch it out and then suck it in after a month to see results, etc. Consistency - always measure in the same spot and then there's no questioning yourself. Or do it both ways
Doing it both ways could be interesting, as I'm sure my stomach will get less paunchy as I get more fit! There is an inch difference!
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:07 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

When I start I always do it both ways-sucked in and all hanging out, after awhile I just do it sort of half way. I always measure at my belly button too, that way I can make sure I'm measuring exactly the same spot each time.
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:24 PM   #5  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

I always measure at my belly button and I push my stomach out as far as it will go and then I relax, I take the measurement in that relaxed state.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:50 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 209/ticker/137

Height: 5'4.5"

I take two measurement. One at my belly button (sort of lower abdomen) and the other at my waist (the narrowest part under the rib cage).

My waist has always been smaller due to my tendency to accumulate fat (and/or water) a little lower down. I like seeing both measurements because the closer the numbers get to each other, the smaller I KNOW my pseudo pregant belly is getting (I've never been pregnant)

I used to hold my stomach in but because I'm now out of shape, it's an effort.
Silverdrmr is offline   Reply With Quote