3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   How do you get a job with no work experience? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/220393-how-do-you-get-job-no-work-experience.html)

Linsy 01-01-2011 08:30 PM

Okay, I guess I'll check in tomorrow since it's better now than waiting longer and I've already passed the 5-7 day window. Hopefully they don't think I'm being a slacker by waiting 11 days.

Thank you for the helpful advice.

Faux 01-02-2011 12:40 AM

I recently graduate and started interning in the summer and will continue to until my move so i will have experience in my field even though it isn't paid.

Faux 01-02-2011 12:40 AM

and joining associations around your field helps too. good luck!!!

Lady Stardust 01-02-2011 08:57 PM

I have a lot of experience in this area.

You always have to have a professional appearance whenever you go into the store/restaurant to talk to the manager. I've heard managers of mine make comments if someone drops their application and they're wearing jeans, etc, that they're not going to bother calling them bc they can't be dammed to dress to impress, and its a first impression, which are the most important.

Grocery stores are great places to start a job. It was my first job. And my coworkers were my age, 16-18. You start out as a courtesy clerk (aka you bag groceries, clean up spills, help customers to their car, collect shopping carts) and from there you can work your way up. Safeway is a great company.

You can list skills you learned at school like working in teams, prioritizing, organization, time management, etc. Everyone has to get a first job and employers know that.

LadyKnight1 01-03-2011 03:25 PM

Try a locally owned bookstore or coffee shop. You may have to start by sweeping floors or cleaning tables, but as long as you show a good work ethic, you will be remembered when something else opens up.
A good work ethic involves the following:
1. Be on time. Every day. After your breaks too. It is a good practice to arrive 10-15 minutes early and stay in the parking lot until time to come in.
2. Be clean. Wear clean clothing, try to wear conservative jewelry and shoes, this is not the time for the sexy sandals or large hoop earrings.
3. Be polite. Answer the phone properly, keep your personal cell phone off or on silent at work. Don't check your phone or messages unless you are on break.

I started my educational career as a temporary receptionist. I am now a permanent employee on my third position and fourth pay rate. I also have excellent benefits and retirement to look forward to. It didn't happen overnight.

You are in my thoughts.

CrystalZ10 01-29-2011 01:42 AM

Try a company like Regis. They do inventory for a majority of retail stores. Its kind of cool to count stuff and not sure what they pay.

As far as work goes, it doesn't matter if you worked before. Dress up, smile, firm handshake and eye contact go a long way. Also having open avalibility will help A LOT!! As a manager, those are the things I look for in a possible future employee.
Good luck with your search.