3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   Remember cassettes??? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/220272-remember-cassettes.html)

Shopaholic1204 12-23-2010 03:16 AM

Remember cassettes???

So I was just digging around in the closet looking for something, when I came across this..

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...703222_n-2.jpg

Who knew I even still had a CASSETTE!! Much less a New Kids on the Block cassette, haha!!!

I don't know why, but that moment made me think of the time I found my mom's 8 Track when I was 8. I'm totally saving this tape to show my children what was around before iPods (or whatever is "in" at the time).

RienQueNny 12-23-2010 03:26 AM

OMG it had to be the New Kids on the Block, too!
It's probably the best cassette tape you could've unknowingly kept for years.
:P

Rosinante 12-23-2010 03:56 AM

Remember cassettes? *I* remember when they were new technology!!!! (exit, aging.....)

BillBlueEyes 12-23-2010 07:17 AM

<sigh> . . . I've just listened to Handel's Messiah on two cassettes - it's the only copy we own; we love the recording taped off the air some years ago. Had to listen on a small boom box that is the only working cassette player left in the house. Did I ever feel out of it finding side one of four, figuring out if it had been properly rewound, etc., etc.

Goal is to ditch all cassettes and VHS tapes and replace, all at once, every component of my TV and sound system. Scheduled when we repaint/re-plaster the living room this Spring. I can't wait for all the old stuff to be gone, but suffer at the thought of all the recordings I love that will be lost.

Ruthxxx 12-23-2010 07:48 AM

I even remember 78s and got rid of the last of them a year ago to a collector. I have a chest in my livingroom full of cassettes and I do have a player that plays them as well as CDs. I'm quaint and archaic, I guess.

MiZTaCCen 12-23-2010 09:01 AM

yea! My first cassette tape ever was Ace of Bace - haha awsome...

EZMONEY 12-23-2010 09:20 AM

Yes this old guy remembers....and records.....33 and 45.....and 4 and 8 track...

the coolest was using the cassette recorder microphone next to the radio to record the top 100 songs of the year...shutting down at the commercials so as not to waste tape.....good times

think I'll grab my i-pod shuffle and go for a walk, then come home and throw my i-pod on the dock and choose from over 5,000 songs.....good times

4xcharm 12-23-2010 09:28 AM

The cassette player in the car works. Thank God. Otherwise no more Dean Martin!

Jonesie 12-23-2010 09:45 AM

I searched for the past 3 Christmasses for a Fisher Price Cassette player with a Microphone for my daughter cause I just KNEW she would love to sing, record herself, and make people listen to it. (Its just the best most obnoxious thing you can do, right?!) THen someone told me they dont make them anymore.......................

Oh.

Shopaholic1204 12-23-2010 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EZMONEY (Post 3617810)

think I'll grab my i-pod shuffle and go for a walk, then come home and throw my i-pod on the dock and choose from over 5,000 songs.....good times

While I was writing this, I was listening to my ipod. I believe I changed the song every couple of seconds until I got to a song I really wanted to listen to.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonesie (Post 3617847)
I searched for the past 3 Christmasses for a Fisher Price Cassette player with a Microphone for my daughter cause I just KNEW she would love to sing, record herself, and make people listen to it. (Its just the best most obnoxious thing you can do, right?!) THen someone told me they dont make them anymore.......................

Oh.

This one?
http://cgi.ebay.com/FISHER-PRICE-CAS...item27b765a008

Shopaholic1204 12-23-2010 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiZTaCCen (Post 3617788)

I had that one too!! Haha!! I think I'm going to buy it on itunes. I miss those songs! "I saw the sign, and it opened up my eyes, I saw the sign"

beerab 12-23-2010 10:53 AM

OMG yes I had a ton of them- funny Ace of Base was also one of my first! :)

Clydegirl 12-23-2010 12:50 PM

I still have all my cassettes. I'm not getting rid of them. There's some good stuff in my collection. I still listen to them in the car.

I don't have an I-Pod, I'm the only one in my family who doesn't own one.

The first cassette I had was "Guitar Man" by Bread, I loved that song.

Gary I used to record off the radio as well, especially the top 100 of the year.

GreenTeaYum 12-23-2010 06:48 PM

Oh that's classic! I remember having New Kids On the Block posters, they were so cool back in the day.

Man... I feel old.

Shopaholic1204 12-23-2010 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenTeaYum (Post 3618318)
Oh that's classic! I remember having New Kids On the Block posters, they were so cool back in the day.

Man... I feel old.

I still love them. A friend & I are going to see them (and BSB) twice next year.:carrot:

drake3272004 12-23-2010 09:23 PM

I cried when I lost all my 45s in a flood :( Lost those and a couple yearbooks from junior high, had them stashed away and forgot to grab them when we got evacuated. :(

Pretty sure my kids woulda gotten a kick out of them, they were pretty excited when we found books on record at a garage sale. The whole Gremlins series on record, too bad we don't have a record player!

GreenTeaYum 12-24-2010 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shopaholic1204 (Post 3618373)
I still love them. A friend & I are going to see them (and BSB) twice next year.:carrot:

Oh my gosh- are they still doing concerts?? that would be a blast to go see them!

Shopaholic1204 12-24-2010 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenTeaYum (Post 3618559)
Oh my gosh- are they still doing concerts?? that would be a blast to go see them!

Yes, they are going on tour with The Backstreet Boys. The tour starts next summer. :carrot: My friend & I are going to the NJ & Philly shows, lol!

MiZTaCCen 12-24-2010 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shopaholic1204 (Post 3617909)
"I saw the sign, and it opened up my eyes, I saw the sign"

"Life is demanding, without understanding"

haha omg I loved that song!!!

katkitten 12-24-2010 04:18 PM

haha! i was obsessed with Donnie. I was in an antique store the other day and they were selling 8 tracks...i said..."i remember having those!" and got a wierd look from my younger friend.

Eruanna 12-25-2010 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shopaholic1204 (Post 3618373)

I'd love to see them both in concert together :) I remember being so excited when a friend and I managed to convince BSB security to let us into a sound check lol

I've started using tapes again - my car cd player broke so I was left with only the tape player. I hunted out some old mixed tapes from the early 90's. I still remember all the words :)

Shopaholic1204 12-25-2010 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eruanna (Post 3619116)
I'd love to see them both in concert together :) I remember being so excited when a friend and I managed to convince BSB security to let us into a sound check lol

I've started using tapes again - my car cd player broke so I was left with only the tape player. I hunted out some old mixed tapes from the early 90's. I still remember all the words :)

Haha..that's funny!! I still have all my burned cds. I got all the songs off of Napster, back when it was free. Ahh..the good days.

Our car doesn't even have a tape player. It has a cd/dvd player..and a connector for the ipod.

Shopaholic1204 12-25-2010 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katkitten (Post 3618929)
haha! i was obsessed with Donnie. I was in an antique store the other day and they were selling 8 tracks...i said..."i remember having those!" and got a wierd look from my younger friend.

Isn't it funny that 8 tracks, cassettes, & VHS tapes are at antique stores now? I still have a few VHS tapes. Titanic, Grease, & Dirty Dancing.

lizziep 12-26-2010 03:10 PM

i remember getting my first walkman - it was in my easter basket when i was about ten years old. and with it was new kids on the block!!! :D
i also really loved my Roxette tape. and Debbie Gibson.

my little brother had that fisher price tape recorder thing. man i hated that. haha.
oh! i also just remembered those books that came with tapes? so you could read along while someone told you the story. i went to sleep with those every night when i was a kid.

Sassy_Chick 12-30-2010 11:38 AM

My first Cassette Tape was Michael Jackson -- Thriller and I still have Records at my Moms from my childhood! Talk about Retro!! lol

Ookpik 12-31-2010 12:10 AM

My first cassette was "Meatloaf: Bat Out of ****", but I do remember the Christmas I got a Walkman and Michael Jackson's "Thriller". I listened to that Walkman non-stop (things haven't changed much twenty-eight years later -- I am listening to my iPod right now and listen to it all the time) and I had to change the batteries every couple of hours or so!

Lady Stardust 01-03-2011 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiZTaCCen (Post 3617788)

Mine was Mariah Carey when she rocked the curly hair! I also did dance recitals to Mariah Carey and Ace of Base (Dreamlover and I Saw the Sign, respectively).

lizziep 01-03-2011 08:08 PM

haha lady stardust- my campfire troupe was in a talent show and we did a dance routine to Hangin' Tough. ah the bad old days. hahaha.

BettyBooty 01-04-2011 04:02 PM

I remember listening to Huey Lewis & the News and Blondie tapes in the car when I was a kid, then Bon Jovi and Poison tapes on school trips when I was a tween. I still have a few tapes b/c my junk-car is a 1999 and has a tape deck!

GabrielleEmersyn 01-06-2011 02:29 AM

haha I had that too!

I also have a NKOTB CD in my car ;)

Meggie Girl 01-06-2011 05:10 AM

My first cassettes were ABBA and Elvis. I actually found them the other day in a box of stuff that I had left at my parents' place. Don't know if they still work. The humidity does awful things to tapes. It's good to go down memory lane sometimes.

A friend of mine had to explain LPS to her 7 year old. She said that they were like CDs. I don't think the child believed her.

Ookpik 01-06-2011 10:31 PM

I remember, years ago, my brothers and sisters and I were listening to records and showing our young nieces how a record player worked. They examined it like it was some relic unearthed from an archaeological dig (funny I thought of that because one of those nieces is working on her degree in archaeology).

energie 01-07-2011 12:04 AM

I remember when me and my sister use to record songs off the radio with a blank cassette tape. Now that was cool kid stuff :) haha. I can't believe that was only like 13 years ago. Wow times have really changed. My first cassette was Monica's single "Don't take it personal" . Oh man I miss the 90s. :(

BreathingSpace 01-07-2011 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by energie (Post 3638333)
I remember when me and my sister use to record songs off the radio with a blank cassette tape.

I used to record songs off the radio too. And you had to get the moment just right so that you got as much of the beginning of the song as possible without recording the DJ's voice. Good times.

I also remember physically marking with a black marker on the cassette where a certain song was so I wouldn't have to fast forward/rewind so much to find it.

I still have tons of cassettes, but no tape player to listen to them. I even still have the cassette where I recorded my 4 year old brother "singing" The Heat is On by Glenn Frey.

I love our technology and all, but sometimes just wish for the simple days of records, tapes and rotary telephones.

~BreathingSpace~

Shopaholic1204 01-07-2011 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by energie (Post 3638333)
I remember when me and my sister use to record songs off the radio with a blank cassette tape. Now that was cool kid stuff :) haha. I can't believe that was only like 13 years ago. Wow times have really changed. My first cassette was Monica's single "Don't take it personal" . Oh man I miss the 90s. :(

I used to do that all the time. I remember around the time Titanic came out, the DJ would play "My Heart Will Go On" around a certain time. But, it would have some of the dialog from the movie in the song. I remember flying out of bed to record that version on tape, lol!! I also taped a radio interview with Leo too, lol!! Of course, I rarely listen to the radio, unless it's in the car. And then, it's only Series XM.

ADelish 01-10-2011 12:43 AM

hehe i'm pretty sure i had The Backstreet Boys on cassette, it was cheaper than a cd, and it's all i could afford with my allowance!