General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-29-2010, 06:15 PM   #1  
emaline29

S/C/G: 226/202/154

Height: 4'11"

Default Favourite Toy

Do you remember a favourite toy that you had when you were little?

I remember a beautiful doll that was sent to me by my aunt as I had been very ill with rheumatic fever. It was made out of soft velveteen fabric which made it feel very much like babies skin. The face was of a hardened material with painted on eyes etc. The clothes were wonderful too - a lovely lacy trimmed dress and pantaloons. I so adored it but when, at the age of about 17 we were evicted from our home due to my father leaving and not keeping up with the mortgage it was taken amongst everything else when they cleared the house. I often wonder whether anyone ended up with my beautiful doll and for many a year would shed a tear at the thought of it. In fact having had counselling a few years back for my depression, I had brought this up and finally got to deal with my "loss".
emaline29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 140/122/105

Height: 5'1''

On my birthday, I got a stuffed bear with a ducky robe and ducky slippers. It's a bear from one of those Build-A-Bear places and has my name written on a star inside of it. I also got a ducky that quacks. Both are still on my bed and I love them. They come with me everywhere. Their names are Quackster and Quacky. Soooo original .

I also remember my worst toy. I had just gotten out from the dentist (with a ton of my teeth pulled out), and my parents bought me a parrot that talks back to you when you talk to it. It was supposed to cheer me up but it wouldn't talk back to me because my mouth was so swollen. It worked for my mom though and I remember being so upset. Such a sad day in my little life back then.
KatVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:46 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 156/150/130

Height: 5'4

I got a stuffed dog from my aunt when I was 13. I was in the hospital w/ a broken arm, and she brought me this "pound puppy" and I named him Ralph. I still have him. He's been through the war! 3 dogs, 3 kids, and many moves later he's a mess but I still love him )
winning the war is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:02 PM   #4  
I was born this way hey!

S/C/G: Not telling/Shh/150

Height: 5'3

The Christmas I was 7 was probably the best one ever!! I got so many awesome Barbie toys. I got the van, a ton clothes, a house, a Ken doll, and Hollywood Hair Barbie. She had the super long blond hair, which you could turn pink by spraying it (you could also spray on stars with the stencil). I loved her so much. I'd spend hours just playing with her hair. I still love that doll. Even after I stopped playing with Barbies..she always sat on my bookshelf. I'm very sorry I don't have her anymore. I sometimes think about ordering a new one from Amazon..but it's not really the same. I don't think I'd take her out of the box to play with...my husband might look at me weird, lol!! If I have a daughter, I'll buy it for her. It doesn't even matter that the outfit is dated. I'll just tell her that she was my favorite Barbie when I was little.

My other favorite toy is a teddy bear my Nana gave me when I was born. It's sort of a security bear for me, lol!! After I moved out, I made sure to sneak it into my suitcase, lol!! My hubby found it later on and laughed at me. I did sleep with it alot when my husband was deployed though (it slept on his pillow until the day he came home). It doesn't have any stuffing in it's neck, and I've had to replace the eyes a couple of times too. Every now & then, it'll take a trip through the washing machine and get a hole, so it's been stitched up a few times as well. It's so cute..it's wearing an Annie shirt that says "Tomorrow". And it's also wearing my favorite dress from when I was 5. It's a Minnie & Mickey with hearts all over it. My mom tossed the dress in a Goodwill bag once, and I saved it. I don't have anything from my childhood anymore..so I'm glad I saved the dress..and I'm glad I still have my bear.

Last edited by Shopaholic1204; 11-29-2010 at 08:05 PM.
Shopaholic1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:07 PM   #5  
Berry and Me

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

A white tiger named Benny. I still have him.
Lauren201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:00 PM   #6  
Bella Signora ♥

Height: 5'4.5''

When I was 7 or 8 I use to love porcelain
dolls. That's all I asked for in my easter basket.

I never found them creepy. I had them
sat up nicely on shelves in my room.

I loved the curly hair, the beautiful
dresses, and the pale glass faces.
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:04 PM   #7  
Knowing I'm worth it!

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'7"

For one Christmas I got a beautiful doll with brown eyes with brownish-red hair, and her name was Teresa. I loved her very much!
Teresa66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:08 AM   #8  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

my little white teddy bear- who sits on my bookshelf. my doll Lola who had curly brown hair and a pink polka-dot dress I had her from the time I was about 3. She was my baby- I remember on mothers day my grandma got me a present from my doll, because I was her little mommy. boy was i spoiled!

in other forms of toys I looooved my math & speak and my barbies and microscope- nerdy kid! haha.
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:38 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 205/160s/128

Height: 5'0"

Shopaholic1204 I had that Hollywood Hair Barbie as well!

~My sister once got sent this rabbit soft toy from my mum's friends in America. It was a rabbit but it wore a pink dress with floral apron. I can't remember what I got sent, but I remember basically claiming that rabbit for my own even though it was meant for my sister. I called it "Bunny" (yeah, real original) and slept with it every single night, probably until I was 19. Even now, it's still on a shelf by my bed in my room, and if I'm feeling upset or depressed, I'll take it to bed with me still. The weird thing is, that even though it wore a dress, I always thought of it as kind of being male. Or gender neutral - kind of a weird thing for a kid to think.

Last edited by rainbowstripe; 11-30-2010 at 04:39 AM.
rainbowstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:43 PM   #10  
emaline29

Really interesting to read all these experiences and to see that I'm not alone hankering after my doll from way back.
I got soo upset when talking to my counsellor at the time about my doll that she suggested buying another one but as has been said, it wouldn't be the same and anyway I have never, ever seen a doll like that again since.
I have , however, bought quite a few soft toys and have a shelf in my bedroom full of them. So at 76 I still enjoy my cuddly toys!!
Old 11-30-2010, 06:26 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 198/180/150ish

Height: 5'5"

My Misha bear. My Uncle picked it up for me on a trip to the USSR when I was 2. I never knew who exactly named him but he was named after the 1980 Soviet Union Olympics mascot even though he looks nothing like him. My Misha has a beautiful crescent moon on his chest. I love that bear. I still have him. In fact my cats found him a couple months ago and they love him as much as I do, I found them all snuggling. Which is a good thing because if they attacked him like they do my stuffed dog I would have killed them (not really but you know what I mean).
KayNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:36 PM   #12  
Sea

S/C/G: 213/161.2/115

A little teapot. It had a dent in the aluminum and a black handle. I threw an absolute fit when my mother made me give it up when we moved. I was 5.
Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:42 PM   #13  
Sea

S/C/G: 213/161.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowstripe View Post
Shopaholic1204~My sister once got sent this rabbit soft toy from my mum's friends in America. It was a rabbit but it wore a pink dress with floral apron. I can't remember what I got sent, but I remember basically claiming that rabbit for my own even though it was meant for my sister.
My baby sister claimed a stuffed Snoopy dog I got for my 16th birthday. At bedtime she simply came back into the dining room, picked him up, turned calmly as could be and took him to bed with her. I didn't have the heart to tell her no. She knew I'd feel that way. I still smile remembering. It's one of my favorite memories from my youth.

Thanks for helping me smile remembering that today.
Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 07:02 PM   #14  
emaline29

Seems I have stirred up a few nice memmories which is good to know. Thanks for all the posts.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:18 PM   #15  
Lifes a Journey

S/C/G: 195/Ticker/170

Height: 5'5

I had a Michael Angelo TMNT and a TMNT pizza thrower thing. It was the most amazing thing ever...oh how I love TMNT too this day <3
MiZTaCCen is offline   Reply With Quote