I just had to file another complaint about a mean dog

• Our letter carrier came running into our office because the guy upstairs WON'T keep his aggressive dog on a leash. Sure enough, the dog came up to our door and was barking at the guy. Granted, letter carriers all over the place complain that dogs bark at them. Many people who wear uniforms have that complaint. However, this man should be able to work in safety.

I asked the landlord what we have to do to get this guy to obey the leash law in this state.

This is the same dog that threatened me three times over the past year.
  • I'm sorry to hear that. I live in the country, so I will not go into detail about what happens when a neighbor refuses to keep their dogs on their own property ... let's just say the people here (Not me) don't tolerate that. I remember once when I was about 16 or 17 I was going out of the house to walk up the driveway and check the mail, but there was a HUGE pitbull in my front yard, and it snarled at me ... I was the only one home at the time, so there was nothing I could do but go back inside.
  • I am from the same country school as Serval...but, YOU should call either the sheriff (not 911) or animal control and file a complaint. And file a new one, every single time you see this dog unleashed (if there is a leash law). Some people assume there is a leash law where you live, and sometimes, there is not. So just be certain that there is before you start filing complaints.
  • ^ Agreed!
  • Give the dog some chocolate!
  • Obviously it isn't the dog that is the problem, it is an irresponsible owner.
  • I think they're BOTH problems.

I agree. Do some research, and file some complaints.

If there's not a leash law, surely you could file for something else like a noise complaint?
  • Quote: I'm sorry to hear that. I live in the country, so I will not go into detail about what happens when a neighbor refuses to keep their dogs on their own property ... let's just say the people here (Not me) don't tolerate that. I remember once when I was about 16 or 17 I was going out of the house to walk up the driveway and check the mail, but there was a HUGE pitbull in my front yard, and it snarled at me ... I was the only one home at the time, so there was nothing I could do but go back inside.
    We own 18+ acres in the country. Our ex neighbor is on trial in a dog mauling case. I posted about it before. People were shooting her dogs because they threatened people, children, pets and livestock. Don't blame them.

When I get an update on the case, I'll post.
  • Quote: I am from the same country school as Serval...but, YOU should call either the sheriff (not 911) or animal control and file a complaint. And file a new one, every single time you see this dog unleashed (if there is a leash law). Some people assume there is a leash law where you live, and sometimes, there is not. So just be certain that there is before you start filing complaints.
    Yes. There is a leash law. I live in Calif. There are laws for everything except sneezing. The landlord is now aware that I'm ready to get the authorities involved. This guy is going to be surprised when they see the Oregon plates on his car and fine him for not having Calif plates. That's a hefty fine now days.
  • Quote: We own 18+ acres in the country. Our ex neighbor is on trial in a dog mauling case. I posted about it before. People were shooting her dogs because they threatened people, children, pets and livestock. Don't blame them.

When I get an update on the case, I'll post.
    Well, I live in Tennessee, so nearly everyone around me owns a gun and uses it, especially my one neighbor (and my dad). My one neighbor (an older lady) will shoot a dog even if it goes on her property.