General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 12-04-2010, 07:24 AM   #16  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdander24 View Post
I am not joking, here or making light of it. It was the BEST NAP, I have had in years! The best part is that it was really nothing.
HAHAHA see, that is exactly what I told my friend. It is totally true! Uninterrupted sleep!
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:57 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 290/290/147

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
The last time the nurse came in and gave me the relaxing stuff, then the anethesia guy came in to put in the IV and well, he was a guy a couple of years older than me that I went to high school with and had a crush on in high school, well, he told me to relax my hand on his, to see how relaxed I was, and yup! I told him all about the crush and how I'd always wanted to hold his hand. And how cute I thought he was back in the day and on and on. *rolls eyes*
This is a nightmare of mine. For some reason, my particular graduating class turned out an unusually high number of people in the medical field. I am so afraid I'm going to go to the ER or some walk in clinic and find myself facing someone I used to know. EEK. You can't be my doctor if we ever did Jello shots together!

OP, my cousin is in her mid 20s and she just had her tonsils out. She says the relief from not being sick all the time is worth anything. She said she had forgotten what it was like not to be sick, just getting over something, or just coming down with something. Good luck!
NiteNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:58 AM   #18  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

Let the doctor know your big concern is the anesthesia. Before the surgery you'll also meet with someone from the anesthesia group. Let that person know your concerns also. Let them know what it is about the anesthesia that concerns you. They can help you with this. They can explain what they're going to do. They can make some adjustments based on your concerns. Best wishes!
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:09 AM   #19  
Tiff

S/C/G: 322/ticker/175

Height: 5' 7"

thank you for all the well wishes, i know it is silly to be afraid of a tonsillectomy, but that isnt what the fear is really, it makes me feel better to hear it is a wonderful nap.

my friends mom is an anesthesiologist. think i will give her a call this weekend, see if she can help me through some of my fears, although maybe i should wait and talk to doctor's staff as she is a little eccentric and may make me more nervous lol, but she is very nice.

either way definitely want to voice my concerns to the doctor and his staff.
pipernoswiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:10 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 230.8/see ticker/160

Height: 5'8

I just had my gallbladder out almost 2 weeks ago and cried for weeks before because I was scared of the anesthesia. I wasn't scared of the surgery, wasn't scared of the surgery, I was scared of not waking up.

I had another surgery last year and the anesthesiologist gave me all the medicine all at once, so I remember getting really dizzy all of the sudden and then I was out. It was a really scary experience.

BUT BUT BUT, I explained this to the anesthesiologist when I was in the OR prepping for my gallbladder surgery and she gave me the anesthetic slowly so she said "your going to get sleepy" and I felt great. I was really really tired and really relaxed. The nursed were rubbing my arms and whispering in my ear that everything is going to be ok and it'll be over soon, and then the anesthesiologist gave me the rest of my medicine and I was out. I woke up with zero nausea and really it was a good experience.

I would ask the anesthesiologist for something to help you relax before. I've had my tonsils out and despite some pain afterwards you'll feel great within a week!
babygrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:21 PM   #21  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I've been put under twice, for two knee surgeries. Both times I was nervous, and both times, it ended up being just fine. Being nervous is normal - you can ask your doctor, perhaps, to give you a mild sedative to help you relax the night before the surgery.

Talk to your doctors about your concerns, and then just try to relax. The odds of a serious anesthesia complication are very low in the US, and the lowest of those already low rates is in the 18-45 age range.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote