General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-03-2010, 08:14 PM   #1  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Default What is fun to do around Oceanside?

We are going to be there for a week. We plan to go deep sea fishing one of the first days. We will, of course, hit some of the wineries. Since we have a kitchen, we won't be eating out much.

Gary, you mention some fish restaurant you go to quite frequently. Is it near Oceanside? I want some seafood and not chain restaurants.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I was just going to say you need to talk to Gary! Sorry I'm not as familiar with that area. I haven't been down there for years, except to pass the offramp to the area on my way to San Diego. Have a fun trip Mare!
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:57 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I was going to suggest you talk to Gary, too. He also has a favorite Mexican restaurant that he often refers to.

Last edited by bargoo; 11-04-2010 at 01:58 PM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:08 PM   #4  
I wanna be a loser, too

Maybe I'm PM him since he is not responding here yet.
Old 11-04-2010, 02:19 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

In Oceanside, there are some really good mexican restaurants and even grab and go type of places. Downtown there is Colima's which is probably one of the best taco shops around.

For a sit down, one of my favorite places is in Encinitas and it is a restaurant that specializes in Mexican food from a region that I've rarely seen represented in US restaurants but it also has some of the standard fare you'd find as well. It is called La Especial Norte - http://www.yelp.com/biz/la-especial-norte-encinitas-5

I tend to branch out when I go but I like visiting the beach and walking around although there is a couple somewhat nicer beaches in Carlsbad. Some people also like to go to the outlet shops in Carlsbad as well.

And really it depends on what you like to do and how far you are willing to branch out. I love the San diego Zoo and the Wild Animal park is nice as well.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:32 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

San Diego Zoo is one of the best in the world.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 03:59 PM   #7  
I wanna be a loser, too

Thanks. The zoo is on the list. We will have a kitchen so we won't be eating out for dinner very often. However, lunch........
Old 11-04-2010, 06:09 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

It's not much to look at, but my favorite mexican place is right by the beach in Carlsbad. It's called Cessy's and it's on the corner of the 101 and Carlsbad Village Drive. There are some nice little stores around there and on the weekends they usually have little art shows and stuff. Right down the street from it (on Carlsbad Village) is a good pizza place called Pizza Port.

If you wanted to go shopping you could do the Outlets like nelie suggested or for a regular mall I would recommend the one in Escondido. It's called Westfield North County and is somewhat near the Zoo's Wild Animal Park (which they just renamed the Safari Park). The two together would make a fun day.
stacylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:26 PM   #9  
pleasantly plump from '82

S/C/G: 208/ticker/155

Height: 5'9

LEGOLAND!! I love that place. There are lots of shops right in Carlsbad too and if you have a rental and come down to SD there is a TON of stuff to do and eat.
sal27253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:45 PM   #10  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

HEY MARE

Where are you staying?

FISH ~ Casual.... Harbor Fish in Oceanside harbor and Harbor Fish on the beach in Carlsbad are great places for fish and chips...

for sit down casual...

Fish House Vera Cruz (Angie and I like this one) and King Fish House (my kids like this one) are great places in Carlsbad also Vigilucci's Seafood and Steakhouse.

For sushi...my kids and nephew know them all!...me...not so much....

Carlsbad and Oceanside connect....

As Stacy said Cesseys is great for eating a burrito outside across from the beach...across the street from a diner we go to with the dogs for breakfast after our Sat/Sun beach walks.

Anything else in the area? Breakfast ~ Sportsbar ~ Mexican food?

Carlsbad has a lot of places to eat near the outlet center...PF Changs, BJ Brewery, Claimjumper...etc

As the gals that live/d here mentioned there is a lot to do...we live in paradise...Seaworld/Zoo/Wild Animal Park/ Museums/ San Diego!!

Anything else?

Last edited by EZMONEY; 11-04-2010 at 09:10 PM.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:49 PM   #11  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I actually can no longer support/recommend Sea World after their many abuses of orca whales.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:14 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

You know, Gary, one of these days my husband and I will have to come and visit for the weekend and meet you and Angie.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:19 PM   #13  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

DEAL...you would find Angie quite charming and me quite boring!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:36 AM   #14  
I wanna be a loser, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinnell View Post
You know, Gary, one of these days my husband and I will have to come and visit for the weekend and meet you and Angie.
Good luck with that. I asked to meet them and he's shy.

boobalah & I would love to get together.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:37 AM   #15  
I wanna be a loser, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZMONEY View Post
HEY MARE

Where are you staying?

FISH ~ Casual.... Harbor Fish in Oceanside harbor and Harbor Fish on the beach in Carlsbad are great places for fish and chips...

for sit down casual...

Fish House Vera Cruz (Angie and I like this one) and King Fish House (my kids like this one) are great places in Carlsbad also Vigilucci's Seafood and Steakhouse.

For sushi...my kids and nephew know them all!...me...not so much....

Carlsbad and Oceanside connect....

As Stacy said Cesseys is great for eating a burrito outside across from the beach...across the street from a diner we go to with the dogs for breakfast after our Sat/Sun beach walks.

Anything else in the area? Breakfast ~ Sportsbar ~ Mexican food?

Carlsbad has a lot of places to eat near the outlet center...PF Changs, BJ Brewery, Claimjumper...etc

As the gals that live/d here mentioned there is a lot to do...we live in paradise...Seaworld/Zoo/Wild Animal Park/ Museums/ San Diego!!

Anything else?
Thanks for the recommendations. I'll have boobalah look them up when we are down there. We are staying at the Marina Inn.