What (Baby) Names Do You Like?

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • I thought this might be a fun and interesting topic because so many of us come from different cultures and upbringings. There's only one request and that's to keep this thread positive! That means if there's a name posted that you'd never ever pick for whatever reason — please keep it to yourself :]

So what (baby) names do you like? Do you prefer long names? Or hyphenated names? How about initialed names like A.J? What about nicknames like Jen or Ben? Are ethnic and exotic names more appealing to you? Or are traditional names more your style? How do you feel about naming a child ____ Jr. after their father or grandfather? What about a theme where every child has the same first letter in their name like Erica, Edison and Eli? How about a rhyming theme like Jimmy and Johnny? What was it like growing up with YOUR name?

To answer one of my own questions, my name is an old traditional Irish name, which is typically a boy's name but in other countries it's more common as a girl's name. And, here's my current list of girl names (and it does change here and there).. These are in no particular order :] Oh and no I'm not pregnant haha. Seriously I've had a WIP baby name list since I was about fifteen years old.. And not one of my original names are on my current list! xD

- Grier
    - Ella
    - Ceri
    - Jasmen
    - Kadi
    - Samone
    - Gwen
    - Myra
    - Sura
    - Suri
    - Abba
  • For some reason, I've always liked:

boy names:
    Mason
    Xander
    Dexter

girl names:
    Sophie
    Zoe
    Chloe
    Nina
  • No one had my name when I was growing up. You couldn't find it on mugs, bracelets, magnets. You couldn't find it at all except in a 1944 romance novel and 1947 movie by the same name. Oh, yeah, and in "America the Beautiful." It was so unusual it used to trip my father's secretary up when she would relay a message from me.

Now it is much more popular, but I have never met anyone my age or older, or even in my age decade, with my name. I wish it was still unique. *big sigh*

I've never given a lot of thought to baby names, but there are certain names I really like.

Girls:

Regan (pronounced REE-gun, as per one of the daughters in King Lear, not Reagan, like the ex-president)

Aeryn (pronounced like Erin)
    Morgan
    Viola (not pronounced like the instrument, but rather with a hard "i" and soft "o" and the emphasis on the first syllable: VY-uh-luh [Shakespeare again])
    Bronwyn
    Gwyneth

Boys:

Aidan
    Connor
    Jack
    Jackson

Ultimately, though, I'd love a child of mine to have a name as rare (but not to my mind weird) as mine was when I was growing up.
  • I like the names:

Farah
    Leyla
    Marwa
    Noor
    Rayan
    Hana

And for guys I like

Ramzi
    Remy
    Alim
    Amaar
    Khalid
    Eli

I can't ever make my mind up, either, though. Luckily (or maybe not luckily) when I get married and get pregnant, I'll at least have someone else to talk it over with.
  • I was named after my mother and grandmother so I grew up being called by my initials....which I love. I really think your name shapes your personality...I think my name made me more laid back. But I will never give my daughter my name

Girl Names
    Winter
    Summer
    Emma
    Heaven
    Rosetta

Boy Names
    Dimitri
    Benjamin
    Dexter
    Jack

I tend to like frilly unusual girl names...The name 'Emma' has been the only real exception
  • Hubs & I have been thinking up baby names since we got together our senior year of HS, lol

Girls-
    Daliah
    Jocelyn
    Zoey
    Phoebe
    Rosalie

Boys-
    Jacob
    Gabriel
    Dominic
    Jackson
    Jonathan

The names we'll end up going with were already pre-approved by my mom before she passed away. They are Iris & Alfonso (he'll go by AJ though..because hub's is Alfonso).
  • I like names that go wel lwith the last name and that are not too trendy and I do not like Junior, everyone should have their own name,

Girls
    Stefanie
    Linda

boys
    Aaron
    Jacob
  • I really like my little girls name- Ella Michael. (Michael is her daddys name)
  • I love naming things

Female:
    Layla/Laila/Leyla
    Elea/Elaia
    Sasha
    Chloe
    Hallie
    Alanna

Male:
    Deshaun
    Amir
    Ricardo
    Wesley
    Clark
    Felix
  • My first GRANDchild will be born in March....her name will be KIA..(ki-ah)...

to be honest I am not "feeling" it.....but would never EVER tell my son and dil so....

she will be beautiful!
  • I like

boys- Kieran, (my son) Declin, Conner

girls- Keely, Kaitlyn
  • Quote: My first GRANDchild will be born in March....her name will be KIA..(ki-ah)...

to be honest I am not "feeling" it.....but would never EVER tell my son and dil so....

she will be beautiful!
    You might gently remind them that is the name of a car, my friend drives one. Maybe Chevrolet or Lexus would be better
  • Girl:
    Miranda
    Emma
    Sophia
    Ellie/Ella

Boy:
    Wyatt
    Noah
    Ian
    Samuel
  • Quote: You might gently remind them that is the name of a car, my friend drives one. Maybe Chevrolet or Lexus would be better
    So THIS is your payback of me baggin' on your giants?

You can do better than that girl!!
  • That is a long I on and short A on Kia...