What is your favorite musical and how many have you seen (list please)

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • So you probably can't guess my favorite musical but here is my list

CATS
    A CHORUS LINE
    WICKED
    LION KING
    LES MIS
    BILL ELLIOT
    PROMISES PROMISES
    BLUE MAN GROUP
    MAMMA MIA
    FANTASTICKS
    DROWSEY CHAPERONE

and this time next year my list will have increased as I purchase season tickets to our broadway show theatre

So what have you seen and what was your favortie musical???
  • Favorite is TOUGH. It's a three-way tie between Rent, Wicked, and Spring Awakening.

Seen:
    Rent (twice...once an older tour, and most recently the tour with the original Mark and Roger cast, I almost died)
    Wicked (want to go see this again before it leaves SF)
    Spring Awakening
    Legally Blonde
    Les Miserables
    Ragtime
    Mamma Mia
    Lion King
    Producers

I'm such a Broadway freak that the curtain goes up and I immediately burst into tears. It's a little ridiculous. I did a lot of musicals in high school, too.
  • I prefer actual theatre to musicals, but I've seen:

A Christmas Carol
    Cats
    Mamma Mia

A couple Operas and a TON more non-musical theatre. I guess my favorite of the above was Mamma Mia
  • Mamma Mia - About 4 times
  • Mamma Mia
    Wicked
    The Colour Purple
    Jersey Boys
    Rock of Ages (well, haven't seen it yet, but I'm going to!)
  • I'm guessing high school productions don't count? lol

Professional/Semi Professional Ones I've seen are
    Forever Plaid
    Scappini (I think that's what it was called, was part of grade 8 field trip to Toronto)
    Jesus Christ Superstar (by University level Theater Students), was amazing, and the best I've seen.

I too am more one for dramatic theater.
  • I've seen a TON of shows on Broadway including all the shows listed so far (except never heard of The Fantasticks). All were excellent. In fact, I've never seen a musical I didn't enjoy. Plays on the other hand have been more hit or miss.

Probably for sentimental reasons, my all-time favorite musical experiences were Chicago with Bebe Neuwirth & Marilou Henner and Nine with Antonio Banderas, Mary Stuart Masterson (should have won Tony), & Jane Krakowski.

Since they haven't been mentioned yet, I'll also give a nod to Avenue Q, Putnam Spelling Bee, and La Cage aux Folles for a good laugh.
  • Rent
    Wicked
    Spring Awakening
    ...just my fav's.
  • Oh, I've seen Ave Q (LOVE) and Chicago as well. I'm sure I'm leaving out others, too.
  • My favorite is Rent. It was the first thing I actually got to see on Broadway (which was a BIG thing on my bucket list). I love all the music and the entire story. Seeing it on Broadway is a lot more emotional than seeing the movie...I cried almost the entire time. LOL!!! If you like Rent and have the movie, I encourage you to buy the Live version that's out there of the last show on Broadway. It's EXCELLENT!!! I saw it once on Broadway, but I've seen the movie and the Live DVD at least a dozen times.

Smokey Joe's Cafe. Great music!!! Seen it live twice (not on Broadway, though)...first time we both were recuperating from a NASTY case of food poisoning so I always said we'd go see it again when we weren't sick. I also bought the DVD for it Live on Broadway and have watched it once.

Phantom of the Opera...love all the music in here, too. Have yet to see it live but I want to. I've watched the movie, but only once.

Hair...love the music here, too. Seen the movie, but never seen it live...but it's hard to find places that it's performed live anymore.

Les Miserable. Never seen it live, but saw the movie back in middle school.

Spamalot. Saw it live on Broadway (and I don't even LIKE Monty Python) when Clay Aiken was starring in it. Very good and very funny!!!

Victor/Victoria. It was good, but not one of my favorites. Saw it live once (again, not on Broadway).

Cats. Love the music, never seen it live OR on video.

That's all I can think of right now. If I had my way I'd see Broadway plays all day long.

***EDIT*** Just remembered I've also seen the movie versions of Fame and Mamma Mia

***EDIT AGAIN*** And, although I doubt it counts, I really really LOVED the musical episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer!!!
  • Quote: Nine with Antonio Banderas, Mary Stuart Masterson (should have won Tony), & Jane Krakowski.
    My cousin was in Nine at an off-Broadway theater. We're waiting to see when she works her way up to Broadway.

And I *love* Mary Stuart Masterson and Jane Krakowski!!!
  • I've seen:
    Legally Blonde (love it!)
    Wizard of Oz
    Spamalot (love it!)
    Avenue Q (love it!)
    Grease
    Fiddler on the Roof
    Hairspray
    Cirque Nebbia--Eloize
    Cirque du Soleil "O" (love it!)

I can't remember what else. I buy yearly subscriptions to our local theatre.

This year I am going to see:
    Spamalot (again)
    Blue Man Group
    The Color Purple
    Les Miserables
    Beauty and the Beast
    Mamma Mia

I opted out of Spring Awakening but now I'm reconsidering. I want to see Wicked so bad! I can't believe it hasn't come my way. It was in Tulsa a couple of years ago which is only 2 hours from me. I should have gone then.
  • Have seen: Mamma Mia, Lennon, Spamalot and Jersey Boys (twice).
    My favorites are: Call Me Madam and Hair.

I don't go very often, but I do enjoy it. Plan to see Billy Elliott when it comes to town next season.
  • Oh, I forgot Grease!!! I haven't seen it live yet, but I really want to!!! I've seen the movie a billion times. LOL
  • I looked up The Fantasticks and do remember seeing the playbill cover with its funky script. It's off broadway at the Jerry Orbach theater. Worth a see?

Natasha - Jane was excellent but MSM seriously ripped out my heart with her voice. Good luck to your cousin! I wish I had that kind of talent.