Massage Envy

• Does anyone have any reviews/info, either positive or negative about this place? I love massages, but my last two regular therapists, who I LOVED have both moved on to I don't know where. I've had a few average ones, and one bad one in my quest to find a new therapist. Massage Envy just opened a new location in my area so I figured I'd give them a try.

Of course as soon as I mention it to someone here at work, I start getting the horror stories. They have a "membership" program and a high pressure sales tactic. The girl on the phone had to have my credit card number to book the appointment, in case I was a no show. Now all this is starting to make me VERY uncomfortable, almost to the point of canceling.

Should I just risk it? I can say no to the membership! Any thoughts?
  • I went there once, and never again. You get what you pay for. They are too commericial for me, and it is weird that they take your CC number. I felt uncomfortable with that too. I massage isn't even as long as it's supposed to be. The timer starts the moment u set foot in the door.
  • I'd yelp a massage place honestly. I use yelp.com for EVERYTHING!
  • My experience with ME has been positive. I had an initial "trial" massage then signed up for a year membership. I paid the entire thing up front to avoid yet another monthly charge to balance in my account, and for doing that they gave me a free bathrobe (Turkish-style, very nice) and a boatload of points to upgrade massages. I've still not gotten through the points and it's been 18 months. Thanks to the points, I have a 90-min massage every month even though I've only paid for 60-min ones. (Note: after the first year contract it switches to month-to-month billing).
    Re masseuses: I tried four at that ME before I found one I REALLY liked, and that's super important. When she left after a year, I asked a friend who she liked at ME and now this new masseuse is my all-time favorite. I go in with IT band issues, calf cramp problems, neck pain from work, TMJ pain from being a stress bucket etc. and she fixes it all.
    I think if you go in knowing exactly what things cost ahead of time and determine to find YOUR masseuse, it can be great.
  • I've never gone to Massage Envy, but a couple of my friends have & they loved it. It may depend on location and therapist.

I don't know that it's so unusal to take a credit card at the time of appointment. A lot of the local spas/salons in my area do this (at least for a new client) because they have a 24 hr. cancellation notice policy. If you cancel with less than that or are a no-show, they've lost possible business.
  • I've been to Massage Envy a couple of times, but the ones here didn't request a credit card, nor did they pressure me into any kind of membership. They pointed out the brochures "in case I was interested" but that was it. I had two different massage therapists, one male and one female. I really liked the female; it was just kind of weird to me to have a male massage therapist, and he liked to talk when I just wanted to lay there and get rubbed.
    But the experiences overall were good, in my opinion.