General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-27-2010, 05:18 PM   #1  
trying to impress myself

S/C/G: 296/see ticker!/140

Height: 5'4"

Default when people do really nice things for you...

hey everyone...

some advice/input would be greatly appreciated!

my boyfriends' mom works for an electronics company, and occasionally gets deals or free stuff thats been used for display models and such, and will give them to me, her son (my bf) or keep them.

lately, it seems that she's been sending in brand new stuff. this week, she sent me a netbook, as well as one for my boyfriend, and she sent me a brand new laptop with an awesome gaming card, the whole nine. i think she paid for them. thats well over $2,000 worth of stuff. she makes good money, but i would feel terrible knowing that she paid for all this.
also, in the past, she has always been very good to me, she truly treats me like her own daughter, and has always been supportive and wonderful.

i'm very shy about receiving gifts, and i never feel like thank you is enough. she's coming to visit me and my boyfriend in seattle this weekend (for her birthday), so i'd like to do something really special...any suggestions? i'm not used to such generosity, and she's just such a special person...not because she hooks me up with electronics, but because she really has been there for me and has always made me feel special. my own mother doesn't always treat me as such.

any ideas/thoughts on doing something special to say thanks?
thank YOU all in advance

xoxo
fillupthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:34 PM   #2  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Take her up to Sequim/Port Angeles and drive up Hurricane Ridge...beautiful!
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:46 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I'd do a lot of little, inexpensive things to make her visit wonderful...if she's staying with you, put flowers in her room and even a chocolate on her pillow.

I'd cook her a really fabulous birthday breakfast or dinner, bake her a cake, and hand her a handwritten letter or card that says just what you said here - that she is so special to you, you cannot thank her enough for all of the wonderful things that she has done for you, both in gifts but emotionally, and that you are so happy and blessed to have her in your life.

If any/all of you drink, you might consider opening up a bottle of champagne to toast her birthday, and putting the card sentiments into an actual toast to her and the awesome woman she is.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 09:35 PM   #4  
trying to impress myself

S/C/G: 296/see ticker!/140

Height: 5'4"

thanks! i like the idea of a champagne toast...didn't think of that.
and i'll have to take a look at port angeles...i've heard lots of good things about it
fillupthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:09 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/121

Height: 5' 1"

You've gotten some great suggestions.
~Putting out nice (neatly folded) towels (and hand towels, and washcloths)
~Getting fresh flowers (make sure she isn't allergic)
~Getting a fruit basket (You could even make one yourself)
~Bake some muffins (there are healthy recipes out there!) for when she arrives.

A website I found suggested this, and I think it's a nice touch:
If they arrive after a long trip, put a little basket of refreshments on their night stand. A simple bottle of water, a package of nuts, maybe a banana, and a little welcome note can really make them feel welcome.

Google some top places for tourists to visit near you. Or you could pick up travel brochures if you have the time.

Last edited by Quiet Ballerina; 05-28-2010 at 12:10 AM.
Quiet Ballerina is offline   Reply With Quote