I'm moving into a big girl apartment!

• So, I am moving into an apartment from my dorm room on Saturday of this week. I'm super far behind in terms of packing/procuring stuff, etc, and I have a teeny, tiny little car, a few burly manfriends, and a boyfriend with a pickup truck. Thankfully, I don't have to buy furniture, but everything else is fair game. I'm sure plenty of you have done this moving thing before... any tips on packing/organizing and making the move as smooth as possible or where to go for stuff?
  • So awesome!!! Congratulations!!! I've moved 23 times, and I'm not even 21 yet. Label each box by which room it belongs in - and have FUN! Take LOTS of pictures!!!

If you need house stuff - garage sales, and craigslist are the way to go! We got our first adult apartment last August (and it still looks pretty gruff hehe) and we're buying homey stuff a little at a time. Our most recent buys were a knife set and a treadmill - but we're still saving up for a big kid bed. It's a long process but you'll get there!
  • When I had got my first place I got a ton of stuff from Big Lots! Don't know if you have those out there, but I was able to get all the necessities for cheap! Pots and pans, plates and silverware, cleaning stuff, shower curtain, throw pillows, bath rugs...everything!
  • Good job.
  • Congratulations!!!! That's awesome!
  • Congrats! Can't wait til I make that big step! Hav fun!
  • from someone who just drove across country from seattle to nc by myself less than 6 months ago and could only take what fit in my tiny car. I reccommend using garbage bags for clothes and other soft things. they are much more moldable than boxes and can be fit and squished into tiny spots that would other wise be wasted space. Also Ikea if you have one near you use to sell like a starter kitchen set, basic pots and pan set, mixing bowls, serving dishes, ladles, serving silverware, and a few things of tupperware for like 50 bucks. Best deal ever for all the stuff that was in there!
  • Label everything with the room it goes in, and what's in the box. Then put it in that room when you carry stuff in. It seems anal, but it saves SO much time once those burly manfriends go home

When I first moved out on my own, I went to Goodwill and bought a few kitchen essentials, and started building from there. Garage sales are also awesome, if you have time.
  • Make a "necessities box." This is what I put in it

Roll of toilet paper
    first aid kit
    Ibuprofen
    Shower curtain and hooks
    toiletries (shampoo, deoderant, soap, toothbrush, toothpaste.)
    snacks
    paper plates and cups
    clean sheets and a blanket.

This way no matter what happens that first day in the apartment you don't have to go digging through various boxes for important stuff.

Trust me Toilet paper is VERY important and when you really need it you don't wanna take 20 minutes to find it or have to run to the store to get it.
  • I am thinking the necessities box is a brilliant idea. Thanks for all the tips, guys! I'm so excited!
  • Yay exciting!
    I love getting new things for my house. M flatmates break stuff though lameee.
    But yay hope the move goes well. Labelling everything and having a necessities box are great ideas!
  • BEG your landlord to let you paint... promise to paint it white again when yuo leave. I have painted my apartment for the first time and, for the first time ever as I am nearing the end of a lease I am not looking for a new place. It actually feels like my home. It makes an amazing difference