3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   You're gonna do WHAT?!!! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/200926-youre-gonna-do-what.html)

mwhitefoot 05-03-2010 12:15 PM

You're gonna do WHAT?!!!

Yes, it's apparent that many people around me right now have decided that I have gone completely mad. A few days ago I signed up for the Chicago Marathon- all 26.2 miles of it. Never mind that I Jazzercise and don't run (haven't gone on a run since high school). Forget the fact that I am 270 lbs. right now. I'm just going to go for it.

I guess I just got to a point where I became so sick of the dreams I have that are always pretensed with "When I lose weight I'll..." (fill in the blank). I got ticked off that I have basically put off going for what I want until I'm at goal.

Some people are supportive, some are not, and I'll be real that all are pretty skeptical. It only fuels me more. I signed up to fundraise and run on behalf of the American Red Cross. The whole things is really daunting at times, but I am so excited. I have a pretty intense training schedule ahead of me and I had to turn in my Atkins diet for your standard low-fat, low cal because of the long distances I'll be running, but it's ok. Something just snapped inside of me and I decided that I can't be sitting on the sidelines just dreaming anymore.

Guess I just need to vent and hear other women that are plus size, but still going for their fitness goals. My first night of training was yesterday and I kid you not within 5 minutes I had a car full of guys yelling out their window at me. I've definitely changed because before I would have probably wept about it at home, but instead I straightened up even more because there is nothing to be ashamed about. So stupid- people make fun of fat people for being fat, but then also make fun of them when they're working hard to change. Oh well, still glowing :)

midwife 05-03-2010 12:27 PM

Wow! Congrats on signing up! I'm very impressed! Have you seen the running threads in the exercise forum? Lots of runners around here.

Hmmm.....I'm almost motivated to consider a marathon myself.....

:cheer:

JustBeckyV 05-03-2010 12:27 PM

WTG - I wish I had your courage. I have started running and wanted to do a 1/2 marathon but have continually talked myself out of it :(

Good luck to you!

motivated chickie 05-03-2010 12:42 PM

You want this, so I say go for it. I hope you can rally a support team around you including a fitness coach, running buddies, and supportive friends. The next six months in training will teach you so much about yourself and what you can do.

But I wouldn't consider finishing 26.2 miles to be your ultimate goal for success. You don't know yet what your body wants to do. I've been running off and on for 20 years and my body does not like races over 10 miles. I simply am not a marathoner, but that's okay with me.

Pay attention to your body. Injuries are common with beginning runners and please don't do too much, too soon. I've had tendonitis and even got a stress fracture in my pelvis once. Those injuries disabled me for several months. Now, I am very careful about my mileage and have not had an injury in several years (knock on wood).

Keep posting here. I see this is your first post. Try to post once every day so that you can get support. There are subforums that you can post in and will give you specific guidance.

mwhitefoot 05-03-2010 12:43 PM

Thanks for the support ladies and I say GO FOR IT! Yes, I get completely freaked out sometimes when I think about all that I'm going to have to do to make it happen, but I haven't felt this pumped in awhile :)

mwhitefoot 05-03-2010 12:44 PM

And thank you Motivated Chickie- have to remind myself not to go too hard because i don't want to get hurt

beautifulone 05-03-2010 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwhitefoot (Post 3274694)
Yes, it's apparent that many people around me right now have decided that I have gone completely mad. A few days ago I signed up for the Chicago Marathon- all 26.2 miles of it. Never mind that I Jazzercise and don't run (haven't gone on a run since high school). Forget the fact that I am 270 lbs. right now. I'm just going to go for it.

I guess I just got to a point where I became so sick of the dreams I have that are always pretensed with "When I lose weight I'll..." (fill in the blank). I got ticked off that I have basically put off going for what I want until I'm at goal.

Some people are supportive, some are not, and I'll be real that all are pretty skeptical. It only fuels me more. I signed up to fundraise and run on behalf of the American Red Cross. The whole things is really daunting at times, but I am so excited. I have a pretty intense training schedule ahead of me and I had to turn in my Atkins diet for your standard low-fat, low cal because of the long distances I'll be running, but it's ok. Something just snapped inside of me and I decided that I can't be sitting on the sidelines just dreaming anymore.

Guess I just need to vent and hear other women that are plus size, but still going for their fitness goals. My first night of training was yesterday and I kid you not within 5 minutes I had a car full of guys yelling out their window at me. I've definitely changed because before I would have probably wept about it at home, but instead I straightened up even more because there is nothing to be ashamed about. So stupid- people make fun of fat people for being fat, but then also make fun of them when they're working hard to change. Oh well, still glowing :)

This is one of the most inspiring things I have read lately, and seems just what I needed to read. Thank you! Good luck! How did you decide on a training schedule? Take care and know that I'll be rooting for you! :cheer:

Issa 05-03-2010 02:47 PM

Thats awesome! Kudos to you for challenging yourself! Keep us posted on the training and how your doing :) I'm jealous!

sarahyu 05-03-2010 04:10 PM

Just remember to follow the training plan and get a really good pair of running shoes and replace them after 500 miles. If you go to a place that helps you fit the shoes to your gait and such. you may wind up spending a few extra dollars but let me tell you, it is so incredibly helpful.

Pay attention to your body and find like minded people and try to train with a partner if you can find one. Good job on not letting the jerks in the car get you down.

Which race are trying for? Does it have a long time to finish?

mwhitefoot 05-03-2010 08:46 PM

There is a 6 hr 30 minute time limit for the Chicago Marathon which averages each mile at about 15 minutes- but then you have to add in rehydrating at water stations, etc. My goal is to finish in the time allotted... just going to keep myself moving :)

I'm on a slightly modified Hal Higdon training schedule. It consists of shorter runs during the week and then your longer endurance run on the weekend, plus a few times a week I'll be cross training with Jazzercise (which is good because those classes have strength training included). It's a 20 week schedule which will put me right before the marathon.

To be real, I can tell it's going to be a brutal process. I've always been one to jump in the deep end of the pool rather then wading through the shallow end, but oh well :) Sarahyu- you are spot on about shoes. I am so glad I looked up tons of info about running shoes before going shopping because the people at Foot Locker and Finish Line treated me like an absolute moron. They basically told that anything on "the wall" will do and didn't offer up any advice until I started asking real questions and they realized I had done my research. After several hours and 4 different stores my husband and I found a pair that had everything I needed (I have BIG feet for a girl- hard to find shoes in my size). I swear my new running shoes are the reason why I'm not dealing with shin splints right now from last night's first run.

Have another run going tonight- trying to make sure I don't skip any days because from what I've been told with endurance training- consistency is KEY. Thank you so much for all the positive words- it's really motivating and I am so appreciative of it :)

southofriver 05-05-2010 05:29 AM

Well done to you mwhitefoot for taking up such a huge challenge. Glad to hear you have good shoes and indeed a husband who will make the effort to support you - very helpful!

I have also noticed people shouting at me when out running - especially when I started trying to lose weight. Half of the people who shout are probably overweight themselves but instead of doing something about it, they prefer to point and laugh at others who are trying to get fit. You are absolutely right - you have nothing to be ashamed of and they ought to know better.

A marathon is a huge distance and I wish you all the best of luck with your training plan. Let us know how you get on.

sarahyu 05-05-2010 08:25 AM

I love to read John Bingham's books. They've really inspired me when I was ruuning. "The Courage to Start", "No Need for Speed" and "Marathoning for Mortals" are all very good books. He's the Penguin and basically the father of the "back of the pack" runners.

I had to stop running for awhile because my knees-well not really my knees the muscles and tendons and stuff connecting my knees to the rest of the body are out of wack and causes knee pain when I run. I have really strong muscles on one side of my body and week ones on the other side. I was supposed to do a whole bunch of excercises to strengthen and never really got back to running.

Issa 05-05-2010 02:08 PM

I get people are jerks sometimes but yelling at someone out trying to change their life is pretty low. Absolutely they should know better. Good job on everyone having the courage to keep at it and get back out the next day in spite of those things! :)

motivated chickie 05-05-2010 02:21 PM

I'll be curious how your journey turns out. Have you thought of starting a blog where you can update people on your daily progress?

MCMommy 05-05-2010 02:37 PM

mwhitefoot - that is wonderful...I am so proud of you and your attitude:D Maybe, just maybe, you may inspire me to do great things as well. Then again maybe not!:p

But know that there are women on this forum who are willing to support you and pick you up if you feel like falling! :hug:

Good luck and keep us posted!