General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 04-10-2010, 10:02 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

I've been watching the show on hulu as well. I am enjoying it a great deal. I'm not a reality show fan, or a tv fan in general, but he is really trying to do some good, and it's great to see.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:29 PM   #32  
Ruth

S/C/G: 98.0/95.5/69.0

Height: 173cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viviane View Post

If you can't watch it through hulu, have you tried it at abc?
Yay, that works! Thanks. There are quite a few streaming sites for which I get the "this content is not available outside the US" message. I get a bit excited when I find one I can actually access.

ETA: Bastages! Apparently I can only get the 5 minute shorts. "You appear to be outside the United States or its territories. Due to international rights agreements, we only offer this video to viewers located within the United States and its territories".

It's not broadcast here, not even on cable (most tv here is free). So it's not like showing it would impede the ability of the broadcasters to make money. FFS.

Last edited by Primm; 04-10-2010 at 10:33 PM.
Primm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:32 PM   #33  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I LOVE the Red Light/Yellow Light/Green Light concept. It teaches that no food is "never", but some have to be eaten in more moderation...sometimes, for really unhealthy choices, that means on special occasions only...sometimes that's once or twice a day. Plus you get all you want of the healthy stuff!

What a brilliant, brilliant concept.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:36 PM   #34  
Ruth

S/C/G: 98.0/95.5/69.0

Height: 173cm

Yes, I thought it was pretty clever too. And something that's basic enough for 5 year olds, but that 17 year olds will get as well.
Primm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:44 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 305/245/135

Height: 5'6"

Primm-
Damn! It's too bad they do that! If you really want to see it, you could try to use a U.S. proxy server/service.
Viviane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:51 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 195/191/125

Height: 4'11

I wish Jamie had thought to mention that the veggies in the noodle dish were probably the right volume before being cooked. Not fair for most veggies to compete w/ dense starchy potato slices that don't shrink much after cooking.
Morgan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:46 PM   #37  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

He's been told about the regulations before, so I think the pasta dish was intentionally made so that it wouldn't meet the guidelines so he can show how nonsensical the guidelines are. 1 1/2 cups of french fries counts, but 3/4 of a cup of mixed vegetables don't.

Also, I would bet the guidelines are written in a way that precooked volume has no standing. I worked with the "guidelines" indirectly when I worked in a juvenile detention home. The jail made the food, and we went and got it.

We made the kids take everything so that all the meals were reimburseable (but they didn't have to eat any of it, they just had to take the tray). From watching Jamie's show, I see that it's changed to the food just has to be "available" the kids don't even have to take it (like the "optional" salad).

That really makes crazy sense. The kids eat 3/4 of a cup of veggies and it doesn't count, and yet if the veggies are "offered" but so unpalatable that they're not taken at all THAT does counts.

I remember when the jail sent over liver (I like liver and this stuff looked like shoe leather). We made all the kids take the trays, wheeled out a garbage can let them throw it ALL away and made peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches for everyone. All those meals "counted" for reimbursement, even though only one kid ate any (on a dare more than anything).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:44 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

I finally got caught up on the web and started watching the show on TV. I am so glad you all (and others) posted about it. I really enjoy the show and appreciate what he is trying to accomplish.

I've been trying to slowly adjust the way my two teenage sons eat when they are at my home. I'm trying to get the idea of portions down for them and the importance of fresh fruits/veg, fiber, sodium content, etc. Trying to do it gently so they won't be too resistant.
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:18 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 262/ticker/140

Height: 5 8"

I'm so relieved to read that everyone is positive about the content and principals of the show. I think Jamie's heart is really in this - and anything he can do to bring awareness is a great thing. We have to bridge the healthy gap with future generations and get them off this fat-sugar-salt addiction road.
hayleycreates is offline   Reply With Quote