Birth Control question

• So...have any of you, after losing quite a bit of weight, had to change your birth control pill to another type?

I've been on basically the same pill, in name-brand and generic form, forever. Never been on anything else. Same pill now that I was on 80 or so pounds ago, and I'm having some issues with some (TMI, I know) spotting during the second week of my active pills. Have been doing this for a few months now. I wonder if it's not time for a change.

The first time I asked my doctor about it he said it was possible I needed a change, but that we should wait to see if I kept the weight off (nearly 2 years ago). I asked him last year and he looked at me like I was crazy...like there's no WAY I needed a change due to weight loss.

What are any experiences any of you have had??
  • YES. This happened about 1.5 years into maintenance. After the switch, no problems!
  • I think if it was working when you weighed more it will work even better now that you weigh less. However, there are a million birth control options available so if you are the least bit concerned or unhappy, try something new. I have the Implanon implant and I can not say enough good things about it.
  • I know that I definitely had to change BC when I was heading towards my highest weight, because my symptoms were uncontrollable--but after fighting with it FOREVER, my doctor finally gave in, and said I could get a Mirena, even though I had never had a kid.

I wouldn't be surprised if it were the same on the way back down. Too much estradiol/progesterin can do all sorts of weird things to your body.