3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   Hobbies for downtime (aka binge o'clock) (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/191885-hobbies-downtime-aka-binge-oclock.html)

Raichu 01-23-2010 06:56 AM

Hobbies for downtime (aka binge o'clock)

Hey guys, what kind of hobbies do you like to engage in during your downtime?

'Downtime' is always when the binge monster strikes. A really positive change for me was identifying my 'passive' hobbies (listening to music, appreciating art) and turning them into 'active,' engaging ones (mixing and creating new songs, going out and finding things to photograph.) It has made all the difference!

What are your favorite things to do to keep your hands and mind busy?

salsa chip 01-23-2010 07:06 AM

There is ALWAYS a paper I should be writing :D

Other than that, there's a house to clean, laundry to do, etc.
When that's over...my latest hobby is aviation. Not that I can fly, but I enjoy learning about how aircraft work (the aerodynamics and stuff) and how airports operate (esp. with ATC and separation and that).

Quite often I get bizarre ideas for projects that would undoubtedly Change The World For The Better - so at the weekends I can spend an hour planning those out and preparing for world domination :s:

And then I have my "Books not essential for degree or work but something I'd really like to read" pile that's about a mile high....:book2:

techwife 01-23-2010 09:49 AM

learn to crochet or knit. Michaels has great starter kits and you can sit and watch TV, keeping your hands busy so they can't subconciously grab food and stick it in your mouth when you least expect it. I suggest crocheting because then you can buy a whole bunch of colors of yarn and make granny squares. Amazon also has AWESOME and trendy new pattern books...as well as the starter kits. its may favorite thing to do while watching TV...which is when I start jonesing for the snacks.

srmb60 01-23-2010 10:01 AM

I like the internet too. I come to 3FC. I like texttwist on facebook. I ebay a bit.

Since I need two hands to type ... all I have with me is my bottle of water.

I'm sure folks are tired of hearing this but, my elliptical is plunk in the diningroom where I can see the TV. I watch sports with my fella's and exercise.

Lizaly 01-23-2010 02:57 PM

I just thought about that a few days ago and a friend of mine suggested designing tshirts!
She always buys cotton tees and tanks at HM. They have quite a variety of plain white, black or colored ones for 4,90€, 6,90€ or 9,90€. I bought one today and my friend gave me some of her paintbrushes and fabric paint and some stencils, too. I think it will be real fun.

NicoleNYC 01-23-2010 09:40 PM

I have about a bazillion patterns from sublimestitching.com and I'm always working on a something.

dragonwoman64 01-24-2010 03:14 PM

binge o'clock, that's pretty good

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lizaly (Post 3112267)
I just thought about that a few days ago and a friend of mine suggested designing tshirts!

I did silk screening in highschool, you might like that. It's a little more involved and more of an investment that painting on fabric. something to keep in mind.

I like knitting too, I'm in the first third of a lap blanket, maybe I'll do that today. reading. I like to write. I agree that being more "active" helps for me. I like to take walks (like photography too). the gym. I'm beginning to get more involved in volunteer work.

carrie77 01-24-2010 10:17 PM

I scheduled my daily workout time for when I would usually have my "binge" time. I used to plop down in front of the tv with junk food. Now, I still watch my favorite tv show, but I do it while on the treadmill or strength training. After a couple of weeks of getting into that habit, I didn't really miss eating at night anymore. I'll still have the odd snack if I am hungy but many times I'm not hungry, and if I do eat, it's 100-200 calories of something healthy instead of 2000 calories of junk.

IrishRose 01-24-2010 11:03 PM

I'm definately with the knitting and crochet crowd. Keeps the hands busy and you can watch tv while youre doing it.
I'm also an avid reader, which prevents me from getting up and going to the kitchen.
Also any craft that allows me to weild a hot glue gun. These days I'm really into making wee hats. LOL!

Amy8888 01-27-2010 03:23 PM

I do loom knitting. I used to knit but I always dropped stitches. Loom knitting is so much easier for me, and projects seem to go much faster. If you're interested in this, look into Knifty Knitter by Provo Craft, or look at a generic set at Hobby Lobby. I think my first set of four round looms was about $10, and I think that in my adult life, this is the one hobby I've stuck with for the longest period of time (a year and a half and going strong!). It is also very easy to teach yourself how to do it using the instructions provided with the looms and/or looking online.

Firecracker777 01-29-2010 04:37 PM

i tend to do use work. cleaning, laundry, dishes, etc. I just moved out with my bf and so Im realizing now that my mom isnt there to clean..i have to! haha but it keeps me busy and away from the food!

Aunty Jam 01-29-2010 04:48 PM

I crochet while I watch TV, it's great to keep the hands busy. Other then that I'm active in dog agility & training and keeping tropical fish. I'm always trying to come up with new tricks to teach my younger dog, I'm always amazed at what I can teach him. And there is always work to be done in the tanks, all of my tanks have live plants in them so there's usually some pruning or cleaning up to be done.

On-line forums are good too ;)

bbigham 01-29-2010 10:10 PM

I tried knitting but very quickly learned a new stitch pattern: knit one, purl one, nibble one, knit one, purl one, nibble one. So, I switched to spinning yarn but after a while I started nibbling during that too (picking angora fibers out of one's teeth is definitely an art).

I don't eat while at the computer, so that helps. And I haven't figured out a way to eat and weave at the same time. But my favorite evening activity is reading and that is one thing that just cries out for munchies.