General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-29-2010, 07:42 PM   #1  
Diet Started: 1/4/10

S/C/G: 164/ticker/99

Height: 5'0"

Default Waist Measurements and Pant Sizes

Okay! So either I'm absolutely horrible at getting my waist measurements, or being short really messes things up!

So I measure my waist to be 37.5", and the lowest EVER that I've measured it was 34.5" (when I was 147.2lbs).

Now no matter where I check, I find that a waist measurement of 37.5" means a pant size of about 18-20. And a 34.5" would be a size 16-18.

Ummmm, no not even CLOSE!

At 37.5" I'm wearing a very loose pair of 14's (though 12's are just a smidge too tight) and when I was 34.5" I was more than comfortable in my 12's. My hip measurements also overestimate my recommended sizes, but not as badly as my waist.

So... A question for the shorties: Do you usually wear pants smaller than what's "recommended" for your measurements? Or am I just doing this wrong? I am looking at both petite sizes and normal ones.

In the same token, I guess I can ask you tall girls: Are your sizes underestimated as mine are overestimated?

And for everyone: How do sizes work out for you? Do you find them rather accurate, or a bit off? Do you think I could be measuring wrong? When you measure your waist, do you inhale, try and make your belly as big as possible, or try to relax and measure it wherever it lands?

Last edited by Wild Vulpix; 01-29-2010 at 07:44 PM.
Wild Vulpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:42 PM   #2  
Starting Over...

S/C/G: 256/ticker/156

Height: 5' 9"

I'm almost 5'9" so I would be one of the tall girls, definitely not as tall as some of the chicks here! I always went by natural waist, because that is what I was told at some point in the last year. When I was at my lowest, in June/July 171.6, I was able to fit in 12's (a bit tight tough). My measurements were 29 natural waist and 39 hips (biggest part). My hips will always be that much bigger since having kids. I just checked on Walmart's site for their size chart and it says I should've been between 10 and 12, which 12's were tight as I said. 14's were nice and loose. So it was only a bit off, not as bad as what you are experiencing! Everyone is different and all body shapes will contribute to different sizes. Right now I don't even measure and I probably won't measure again until a good while after I have my baby, I'm 6 months pregnant right now. So sizes are waaaay off. Pretty much sticking to 14's and 16's right now. Definitely did not want to be in 16's again but what can you do. Anyway, hope this helps!

Oh, as for measuring: I've never sucked in my gut or pushed out, just relax. Try measuring at your natural waist too. That may help.

Last edited by aangel22; 01-29-2010 at 08:45 PM.
aangel22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:43 PM   #3  

I have the exact same thing with pants. I'm right in between 41" and 42" right now when I measure and according to charts should be wearing either 20 or 22Ws, but tonight I bought a pair of regular 18s. They were a little tight, but they fit.

I don't know if it's because of my height - I'm short too - but I've found that I can usually wear pants with a waist measurement claim of 3" to 4" less than my actual waist measurement.
emilydreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:04 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Size charts were traditionally, and I think most still are, based on the smallest part of your waist, which may be way above where the pants rise, unless they specifically say otherwise. I never find the charts to be exact, but not so far off as they are for you.

I never though height had anything to do with it, but maybe being apple shaped does.

At 147 my waist was 29.375 but at my belly button it was 34.5, and I would have been in a loose 12 or in a snug 10, roughly. Which is pretty much what a random size chart, Old Navy, would predict using my natural waist (rather high up) but not at my belly button.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 01-29-2010 at 09:09 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:07 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 216/207/140?

Height: 5'2

I have found that the sizing charts are usually off for me as well. I'm 5'2 and currently have a natural waist of about 39.5 and wear a comfortable 16. According to the sizing charts I should be about a 20 but that would be swimming on me. When I was at my lowest about 168 my waist 36 and I was a comfy 12. So I wondering if it does have something to do with height. I should add I am short waist and my hips measure about 7 in larger than my waist. I notice that true plus size is even more off like from Lane Bryant or higher end plus size clothes.
LadyTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:32 PM   #6  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

It's so crazy! Right now I am measuring 40 at my natural waist. Depending on which charts I use I should maybe be a 16 or 18. I am currently wearing very loose 14s and can get into 12 and be physically comfy, but they don't look good enough on me yet for me to wear them in public. I, like Julie, blame it on the apple shape instead of height, but I don't know.

LadyTL - You cause me further confusion since I am also 5'2" and our waists are only 1/2 inch off and you say you are in a comfy 16. So how the heck if we are the same height and I have a 1/2 inch larger waist am I something like 1.5 pants sizes smaller? WTF! Not of course fussing at you, my fussing is directed at the stupid clothing people. Out of curiosity do you know the brands of the pants you are wearing comfy 16s in? My 14s are xoxo, lei, xhiliration, stamp10, old navy, levi, and faded glory. I'm still a 16 by cato's standards, but only them that I am aware of.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:49 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 241/223/160

Height: 5'4"

I never used size charts to decide what my size should be until a few months ago. I was wearing an 18 in jeans then. I wanted to order a pair of Right Fit jeans from FashionBug online and since the site suggested measuring for the different fits, I did. Well, according to my measurements I was supposed to order a size 24 something (they have those different colors/categories, cant remember which I was in) and it was just HUGE. Ridiculous.

So, I will therefore never use size charts again.

Right now, I need a 20 for most jeans to be comfortable and not tight although some 18's and even a 16 fit me.

The fit is weird tho, they are too baggy in some places but since I'm carrying much of my weight in my bloated tummy, I need the 20 for the comfort in the waistline.

The other day, I measured my waist as 43 inches at the smallest part and my hips at 50.5. According to the non-RightFit FashionBug size chart for jeans I should buy -

a 22W which supposedly fits a 39 inch waist and 50 inch hips

OR

a 26W which supposedly fits a 43 inch waist and 54 inch hips

But I would buy neither of these sizes.

I shopped for jeans in the real world back in November and I tried on and bought all 18's and 20's from both the "misses" and women's rack.

A 26W would be nowhere near my size. I can't be that bad at taking my measurements LOL~! I measure low hip like it says and the smallest part of my waist ( I still have a curve even tho my belly sticks out in front so I think I have that right).

Now for size 12/14 the FashionBug size chart seems to be in sync with what I remember my measurments to be when I was wearing a 12 or a 14.

40.5 hips or 42 inch hips - 29 inch waist for a size 12, although I think mine was more like 31 or 32 back then.
Mariella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:45 AM   #8  
Diet Started: 1/4/10

S/C/G: 164/ticker/99

Height: 5'0"

This is sooo interesting!

I do measure around my navel. In fact, I measure right over it as opposed to an "inch above" like suggested. Measuring now, I get...
Over navel, relaxed: 36"
Over navel, exhaled: 38"
Over navel, inhaled: 34"
1" above navel: 35"
Smallest area (just below rib cage, 3" above navel): 33"

Even with the SMALLEST measurement, I'm still on the high end of size 16 pants! And there's just no way that's so. (I'm using wiki to get the pant sizes.)

I'd like to hear more of your guys' experiences Keep them coming!
Wild Vulpix is offline   Reply With Quote