General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 12-04-2009, 06:34 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 290/283/150

Height: 5'10"

*raises hand* Or because they've never been on their own before and let loose in an all-you-can-eat buffet everyday that is laden with unhealthy choices.
megwini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:58 AM   #32  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

It's memories of the all-you-can-eat salad and cereal bar, that irked me so much about this class. It wasn't the fat-chicks who were eating Captain Crunch sundaes for lunch and dinner.

It was the first time I'd seen what eating "whatever you want" looked like (and it wasn't from what was on my plate). My BMI was over 30 at the time, though I was always very food-conscious (especially in a cafeteria setting), and while I didn't lose weight in college, I really didn't gain weight either (until my last semester, and I chalk that up to stress, because I was working an internship and an overload of classes to be able to graduate in three years instead of four).

Heck, at 18 I could have TAUGHT a nutrition and weight management class (I'd been "studying" weight loss nutrition since I was old-enough to check out books in the adult section of the library, at age 8 or 9).

Last edited by kaplods; 12-04-2009 at 02:02 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:12 AM   #33  
hand to mouth disease?

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/175

I would have been able to opt out of this class at any point in college--I was a swimmer and a performer...I often missed meals due to my class/rehearsal schedule and I was very muscular and physically active from morning until midnight. It would have been critical for me to have precisely those skills for when I WASN'T a 20 year old swimmer/performer in college. I don't understand why they would waive anyone from a program like that.
weebleswobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:37 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 242/in progress/132?

Height: 5' 7"

The interesting things about this course are:

1. All students get BMI tested to see if they need to take the course. The policy was instituted 4 years ago. A student had 4 years in which to be tested and see if they need to take the course. Many put this testing off for 3 years and are now in their graduating class and find that they need to take the course.
2. The course is 3 hours a week, and it is an attend only course. You attend, you pass. You don't need to show improvement, just that you attend. It is based on activity, such as aquafit and dance aerobics.
3. The BMI that they are looking for is a BMI of 30. These are obese students, not students in the overweight category. Obesity is multi-factorial, for sure, and part of it is education and activity based.
4. The school recognizes that BMI is not a defining measurement of obesity. IF your BMI is 30, you get a waist measurement to make sure that you are not one of those athletes with a high BMI who doesn't need the course. This weeds out the students further.
5. There is no fee for this course, and the participants have the advice and guidance of trained health and fitness professionals.
6. In the words of the program director:

"James DeBoy, chairman of the school's Department of Health and Physical Education, says the requirement is just like courses to help students' communications or math proficiency. The faculty also has a priority to be honest with students, he said.

"We, as educators, must tell students when we believe, in our heart of hearts, when certain factors, certain behaviors, attitudes, whatever, are going to hinder that student from achieving and maximizing their life goals," he said.

Moreover, if there were unlimited resources, the fitness opportunities would be for all students, but that is not the reality, he said."

I'd have benefited from this course for sure in University. With my prerequisites and mandatory courses required for my degree PLUS the limitation on actually taking PE based courses on non-Ed Phys Ed/non-Kinesiology or non-Rec Admin students, it would have been most helpful to have a guided course with professional advice for free. Lets face it, there are off-hours courses out there but at MY Uni, they all cost money. I was strapped for finances as it was. Maybe if I'd had this type of intervention, I could have avoided the years of non-activity and obesity that followed.
misskimothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:55 AM   #35  
hand to mouth disease?

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/175

dunno. They make you take a lot of gen-ed stupid classes. I think you could do without one (insert one gen-ed "blow-off" class here) and develop one life-skills class with exercise including modules on things like: "how not to marry a jerk" "how not to eat yourself to death" "how not to work yourself to death" "how not to ruin your credit" "how to cope with major stress" "how to raise your children so nobody needs to call child protective services"...you know, that basic stuff that's really important but most kids' parents don't teach them...
weebleswobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:31 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 290/283/150

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
It's memories of the all-you-can-eat salad and cereal bar, that irked me so much about this class. It wasn't the fat-chicks who were eating Captain Crunch sundes for lunch and dinner.
Oh yeah, I totally agree. I look around now and see that like at least half of the students seem to be eating utter junk food like EVERY day. Many of the thinner ones are eating just as badly as I was. It just caught up to me sooner than them, I guess. But that sure as heck doesn't make them any healthier on the inside than I was when I was obese!!!!
megwini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:40 PM   #37  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

When I first went to college, I lost 30 lbs. I never liked buffet/cafeteria style food. I hated eating at the cafeteria. I used to basically eat turkey, swiss, mustard sandwiches on sour dough.

I then switched schools and had my own kitchen but had a crazy class schedule and was living on coke (the drink and not diet). I ate horribly and gained the 30 lbs back and then gained 30 more in the course of 3 years.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:44 PM   #38  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

I didn't gain weight in college...OK...so I only went to the local JC for a couple of weeks...at night...had soda and chips out of the machines during break...

I used to bring snacks to my daughter's college tennis matches....bagels and donuts for the morning matches (healthy and not so healthy) and cookies/chips/pastry things and fruit for the afternoon matches. I always had low-cal cookies, baked chips, etc.

The treats were for both the men's and women's teams.

I almost always came home with all the "healthy" stuff and little of the rest...
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 02:01 PM   #39  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
When I went to Illinois Wesleyan EVERY student had to take two P.E. credits. At the time, I thought it was kind of dumb, but because everyone had to do it (except those on the athletic teams for two or more semesters), it was no big deal.
Wow, I went to Augustana College in Illinois and we had a similar requirement! I was going to post this too. It was a requirement every student knew going in. The rationale for having P.E. at the college level was in part to expose people to new activities they may not have tried otherwise, and that they may hopefully carry on with once they leave college. (That's a liberal arts education for you!).

But to single out people with higher BMIs is just wrong wrong wrong. Because a high BMI does not necessarily make you less healthy than other health factors. Certainly, not more than smoking...does this college seek out smokers and make them attend a course in health? I can also kinda see the rationale of employers being less likely to hire an overweight person than a normal weight person, but what about an employer who catches a smell of cigarette smoke on a job applicant? Isn't that a turnoff too? Isn't that person going to cost the employer more money in terms of health care?

So yeah, this is absolutely ridiculous. One of the best things about college was that I was free to make my own choices and choose which activities I wanted to learn more about...not being shamed then forced into activity by people who have no business knowing my weight.
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 02:07 PM   #40  

I don't know of too many healthy people with a BMI over 30 and a waist measurment over 35 inches. This is who the course is for. BMI is not an absolute of health, true, but a BMI over 30 in the usual indivual is an indication of obesity. Obesity is NOT a healthy situation in and of itself. This shouldn't be a case of "well, why not tackle other problems?" Unlimited funding doesn't exist. This program is in a college composed of a population that has a huge historic issue with obesity and the resulting Type 2 diabetes, heart disease and stroke. Like the director says, the college feels that to ignore this particular obvious factor that will limit the quality and quantity of life for its students is irresponsible. We should be applauding this small initiative and hope that funds become available to tackle health issues for all students regardless of BMI and other health issues such as smoking. Most campuses are already tackling binge drinking issues and STD/promiscuity issues. This is the next on the list. Just MHO.

Last edited by misskimothy; 12-04-2009 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:08 PM   #41  
Make it to the moon...

S/C/G: 5/8/19: 319/254.0/150.0

Height: 5'5"

I was a varsity collegiate athlete, with a high BMI... I placed in the state and qualified for ECACs every year... I have a high BMI... I think it's BS to go by BMI as I could list at least 15-20 girls in my sorority who have "normal" BMIs but NEVER exercised.
KimL1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 02:13 PM   #42  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

what I wonder is do people really equate obesity with promiscuity and binge drinking and doing drugs?

maybe in the sense that someone thinks - oh it's no big deal for now, i'll deal with it later.

but do other people look at me with the same amount of judgment and disgust as say- a meth addict or a girl doing the walk of shame across campus?
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 02:18 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskimothy View Post
4. The school recognizes that BMI is not a defining measurement of obesity. IF your BMI is 30, you get a waist measurement to make sure that you are not one of those athletes with a high BMI who doesn't need the course. This weeds out the students further.
That helps, but unfortunately leaves out all the ridiculously unhealthy and unknowledgeable students with a BMI under 30. In fact, I think it actually sends them a message that they must be healthy as they are.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 02:19 PM   #44  

I equated it with respect to a public health issue that has consequences health wise for the population in question. It isn't a moral issue. It is a health issue. This has nothing to do with weight being morally bad. Sorry if you read that into my post. What I was saying is that there are lifestyle choices that can result in health issues. Colleges are addressing them. That's all.
And as the director says, he would love to see all students have this course for free but it isn't financially feasible. Gotta start somewheres, no? Instead of ignoring the situation and then reading stories on this site about how education isn't there and how the government and institutions should be doing more and using the lack of education as a reason for one's obesity?

Last edited by misskimothy; 12-04-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 02:22 PM   #45  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

misskimothy- oh i didn't read that into your post at all! It just made me think of that! I certainly wasn't upset with your post.
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote