Central Service Technician?

• Anyone here a Central Service technician or know much about it? I was laid off from a boring old office job in March and have since been unsuccessfully looking for a new job. I finally decided I need to get into the medical field if I want a decent chance at not only getting another job, but keeping it. My local county college offers a few medical training courses with a certification at the end. The Central Service technician course is the one I signed up for. It's 6 weeks long and my local hospital HR rep says it's fairly in demand, so I shouldn't have too much trouble getting in once I'm done. From there I plan to make use of their tuition reimbursement to take some other medical courses. I know it involves instrument sterilization, I'm just curious about the day to day details that come with experience.
  • Hi Once, I've worked in hospitals a lot and Central Service Techs usually sterilize/autoclave and prepare surgical instuments for the operating room. Years ago you didn't need to be 'certified' but today its often required unless you have previous experience... The techs do see a lot of 'dirty' stuff though... as they have to deal with 'incoming' contaminated.
    I would check out the labor.org website for pay structure. I always liked my hospital jobs... Phlebotomy (drawing blood) is another popular job... pretty good pay... good luck

this is a great site : ONET Online... I use it to look up job descriptions..

http://online.onetcenter.org/link/summary/31-9093.00