the media is making me ill (rant)

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • im watching a show on eating disorders and models. i think we all need to remember that not so long ago the most beautiful woman in the world was a size 14

i want to be thin and healthy as much as we all do, but i think its time that we start teaching our daughters that this

is neither healthy or attractive.
  • Right on!!!!

That poor girl is starving is she one of the modeling sisters that died?

Marilyn Monroe was beautiful, curves in all the right places.
  • I know it isn't part of the point you're making, but the emaciated girl in your thread is photoshopped, this is the original on the right:

While the unphotoshopped girl is still thin, it isn't helpful for you to see photoshopped women and think they're real
  • its even more despicable in my opinion that they photoshopped her to make her look even more underweight.

either way, i think marilyn looks way better.
  • Marilyn was very sexy indeed
  • Not to diminish your point at all (I think the 'modern' model is disgusting), but we need to keep in mind that Marilyn Monroe was a size 14 for her time. A size 14 in the 1940s would be approximately a size 10 today. Yes, she had more on her than the average model/actress today, but she was still relatively small.
  • Quote: Not to diminish your point at all (I think the 'modern' model is disgusting), but we need to keep in mind that Marilyn Monroe was a size 14 for her time. A size 14 in the 1940s would be approximately a size 10 today. Yes, she had more on her than the average model/actress today, but she was still relatively small.
    According to Snopes.com, she would be a size 8 by today's standards.

But I agree, modern models are way too skinny.
  • I think Marilyn was also pretty short, which makes a difference in how dress size looks. A friend of mine met her on a USO tour and said that she was tiny.
  • regardless of what size anyone was/is look at the difference in bodies. look at marilyns waist and thighs. i dont recall seeing any non plus sized models that look like her in recent history.

and my point wasn't really to quibble about who is what size, i couldve inserted any actress from her era next to any model of today. i was saying that women didnt used to have to be 5'11 and 90 lbs to be considered attractive.
  • I agree Julia!!
  • Oh, totally agree, Julia!
  • Curves are beautiful and so is healthy
  • Quote: its even more despicable in my opinion that they photoshopped her to make her look even more underweight.

either way, i think marilyn looks way better.
    The 'they' that photoshopped the picture was someone trying to show an extreme underweight model, not something actually presented by the media. I also think we discussed this picture a while back but I could be wrong.

I think there have been issues the modeling industry and their unrealistic portrayals of women. I also think they are trying to change that somewhat but it is probably something that will take time.

For the most part though, I think high fashion doesn't care about the average woman or their wants/desires.
  • Thank goodness that model is photoshopped..I was thinking how could they even let her walk down a runway like that and not say anything or call to get her help.
  • I just want to remind everyone that we need to be careful not to bash people for how they look, no matter their weight.

But I do agree that the media can really be a problem here, as it helps create unrealistic expectations about what is attractive, and about what is possible for most of us.