General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 07-31-2009, 12:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

Default Hypoglycemic?

Anyone else here hypoglycemic, or borderline?

Probably about a year ago I went through the whole "glucose tolerance" test and was diagnosed as "borderline hypoglycemic." (I wasn't at ALL until I lost weight....grrr)

I think it may have gone over to less "borderline" and more of a full bout of hypoglycemia. I've been looking up information on what to eat and what not to eat, and it's all so confusing! One site says whole wheat and whole grain bread is good, another says no bread is good. One says to eat potatoes, rice and pasta because they're complex carbs, and another says all carbs are bad.

If anyone else is hypoglycemic, what do you eat?
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:00 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Look at glycemic index and glycemic load. You want to eat multiple times per day, preferably small meals. You want to eat foods that are lower on the glycemic load (which is related to glycemic index) scale.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:57 PM   #3  
plant geek

I too am borderline hypoglycemic. The most important guideline that helps me is staying away from simple carbs (white bread, white rice, potatoes, candy, sugar etc). Complex carbs such as whole wheat bread, sweet potatoes, and whole wheat pasta (in moderation) seem to be just fine.

Also I eat at least 5 times per day. Breakfast, 2nd breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack, and then dinner. Traditional breakfast foods such as cereals, waffles, pancakes etc are LOADED with sugars/simple carbs! So if you can eat non-traditional breakfast foods for breakfast such as a lean turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread and an apple you might find you feel much better.

One of my favorite breakfast foods is a breakfast casserole made with eggs, egg whites, mushrooms, green peppers, salsa, and a protein (turkey flavored with taco seasonings, lean breakfast sausage etc). The casserole paired with some fruit really works well for me.

Good luck!
leachalami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:46 AM   #4  
Nightwish lover

S/C/G: 263/180/170

Height: 5'9

I'm having the issue of getting dizzy almost constantly, so i'm always snacking. I think it's hypoglocemia, but i'm not sure. I plan on going to the doctors, once i get health insurance, just to figure out what the heck is wrong. I don't think it's diabetes, but of course, i don't know what diabetes feels like.... I was told about 2 years ago that i had hypoglocemia, but that was a result of a medication i was taking.....
slayingthedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote