Stickk.com ?

You're on Page 1 of 4
Go to
  • Does anyone else use it? I've tried it a few times & am having another go at it. I find it helps keep me on track when I have to check in, & it's extremely beneficial to me that it sends reminders. There is an option to bet money on your commitments, but I always do the bet free version. Has anyone tried betting money on yourself? Do you think it provides any more motivation having money staked on your commitment? I would like to hear your opinions and experiences with this service. Please & thanks.
  • Hi there!

I've read on an article about the site that adding actual money into the bets definitely increases winning outcomes, especially if you choose to donate it to an "anti-charity", an organization whose views you strongly disagree with.

With the anti-charity, the average compliance is 80%!

For myself, I would want to put my money against myself in the "worst" way possible and I would choose an anti-charity from their lists.

And I would make it a BIG potential loss. Since they have my credit card number -- and I would use a debit card to make it even more threatening -- there would be no weaseling out.

I think I would set it up so that every week (or every month), I'd have to lose X pounds. Maybe 1.5 pounds/week, or maybe 2 pounds/week. And then, if I missed a week or a month, I'd have to pay in $50/week, or $200/month. Then I'd have a final contract too, that if I didn't lose all the weight by X date, I'd fork over, hmm, $2,000? To me, that's a really large sum, and one I would definitely not want handed over to my anti-charity.

In fact, right now, I am waiting on a replacement debit card in the mail, after having my original one used for fraud (grrr!) early this week. But my bank has been great at replacing the money... once I have my new card, I'm planning on joining Stickk.com. I should have it by September 4th.

I am an expert weasel-outer and I find it all too easy to justify slip-ups and continue saying "I'll start over tomorrow." This way, I'll have a real financial and moral incentive to stay the course.

I think it's a great idea.
  • I have never heard of it until I read this post
  • Well i'm on Stickk and it's worked well for me in the past, but I haven't had much accountability given i didnt have a referee or supporter.

My screen name is crowbar

add me as a friend and we can support each other!
  • I've been trying it, but my scale died and now my weight has changed dramatically (for the worse) because of it. I think if I was actually betting money, it would work for me, but there's not much incentive to me for the free version. Seriously, if making commitments and betting that I would lose X amt of pounds by a certain date had ever worked for me, I wouldn't be where i am right now, lol.... but the money option is definitely intriguing, as I'm very tight with money, and can't imagine having to fork money over to a cause I hate because I ate too much or exercised too little... I might try it next payday.
  • I had never heard of it either, but I just signed up. (My name is Kyo_Odori. Add me!)

Luckily I don't have to risk much for it to scare me as I'm almost broke. I just put down $5 a week. I like the anti-charity idea.

... It just dawned on me that this might not work so well during TOM, when I normally don't even weigh myself because it's so bad. I might just have to lie. Maybe if I'm not caught up by the next week I'll fork over the $5.
  • I am bumping this because I (cough) got my butt on-board and joined today!

I am on Stickk.com as BerkshireGrl also, and anyone on there who wants to buddy up, feel free to add me as a friend!

I have pledged to lose at least 1 pound a week, or I will be forced to donate $100 to an anti-charity every time I fail to lose that pound. This is a legally-binding contract and once signed, is for real. Termination can only be made after a medical excuse form faxed by a doctor's office is verified.

I am praying for no long plateaus, heh! But in my past weight loss attempts, I have never hit one, so *fingers crossed* this will continue.

I will be Refereed by my sister, who will verify my weekly loss via digital photos of my scale readout as I stand on it

No wussing out this time!

ETA: Contract is for 99 weeks, at 1.18 pound a week mandatory loss. I am planning on getting it done sooner than 99 weeks though! But I thought I'd give myself a bit of coverage just in case I do hit a dreaded stall.

crowbar and Frigg, I have "friended" you on Stickk

EEEEEEEP! Hahaha! This is thrilling, yet kind of terrifying at the same time. But I want to be accountable. I have been trying to lose weight for a long time - heck, I joined here in 2003 - and I have so far failed to reach the finish line. This time, there is no retreat. Here goes!
  • BerkshireGrl, that's a big commitment.

Needs guts to make that decision.

Good luck on your journey.
  • Thank you, Silver!

I have been lacking courage for a long time, but this time, I decided to make the leap. I've had it with the fatness
  • Okay - I just joined & added all of you!

I did the free version.. no money here to give if I didn't lose! :/ BUT hopefully we can all keep each other accountable!

my username on stickk is kuhrisuh
  • I also joined and added you guys! Add me at StarryEyes86

I love the idea. And it has a weekly weight for me to aim for...that's cool.

I didn't bet any money, only because I'm so broke and don't even have disposable income at the moment.
  • StarryEyes, glad to see you too!

I'd be thrilled to see all of us lose all our weight! :
  • I just signed up, too. My user name is Gayatri, LOL. I have to lose only 1 lb per week and will donate $10 per week to my anti-charity if I fail to meet that goal.

I need referees / support. Please add me as a friend, too, so we can all support each other through this journey.

Thanks,

Gayatri
  • Gayatri,

Cool beans!

It looks like you are contracted for $101/week though - is that a goof?

I friended you back!
  • Berkshiregrl, I just noticed that you and I almost have identical starting points and goals =)