Books that make you cry

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • As I posted in the Whatcha Readin' thread, I just finished Lonesome Dove for the umpteenth time. I adore this novel, but man, I cry like a baby the entire last third of the book.

But, in a good way I love books that make me feel - happy or sad or even angry.

Here are some other books that have made me cry (that I can remember easily, off the top of my head, I am sure there are more):

Year of Wonders - the plague!

Through a Glass Darkly (sequel sucked, imo)

Love is a Mix Tape

Where Loves Goes

Crack in Forever

I particularly remember A Crack in Forever and Year of Wonders because I read them on planes - sobbing my eyes out, figuring every other passenger thought I was nuts!
  • The Time Traveler's Wife. I know people either love it or hate it. I'm not one to seek out books that make you cry or things that are overly emotional, but this one did it for me.

Also, pretty much every book in the Outlander series, at some point, made me cry.
  • My Sister's Keeper
  • (An oldie, but a goodie) Love Story

The Notebook
  • I loved Lonesome Dove!
  • Anything by Lurlene McDaniel.

her books are aimed at more high school age....but they deal with kids/teens with serious conditions and fatal illnesses (cancer, diabetes, heart trouble, everything...)

I always pick up one of her books when I need a good cry.
  • PS I love you was SO sad/good I didn't even WATCH the movie when it came out, because there's no way it could compare.

Eventually did watch the movie, though.

.. I was right. It didn't compare.
  • i LOVE The Time Traveler's Wife!!! SUCH a good book.

another one that makes me cry: The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. i can't even read portions of it because i start sobbing.
  • "A Bridge Called Hope:Stories of Triumph from the Ranch of Rescued Dreams" by Kim Meeder The author owns her own horse ranch for children who have been abused and all of her horses are rescues too. You can't turn a page without crying a little bit. Her stories are mostly about the children who come to her ranch and how the horses get there. Her first book, "Hope Rising: Stories from the Ranch of Rescued Dreams" I couldn't get passed the 1 chapter and it's fairly short chapters.
  • "Perks of Being a Wallflower" was a very good book.
  • Lonesome Dove is required reading in my family!

Time Traveler's Wife and My Sister's Keeper were both books that warranted a good cry when I was done.
  • Quote: (An oldie, but a goodie) Love Story

The Notebook
    The Notebook the actuall book made me cry so much more than the movie did! Even made my hubby tear up!

The movie 'the bucket list' was also a tear jerker for me.
  • My German 3 book in high school...

I just sat there thinking..."what the heck were you thinking dude"
  • oh yeah perks of being a wallflower.

Dogs of Babel by Carolyn Parkhurst- one of the saddest books I've ever read. So good.

Any of the Sevenwaters trilogy books by Juliette Marrilier.
  • Books that have made me cry:

Where the Red Fern Grows
    Old Yeller
    Of Mice and Men
    Grapes of Wrath
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    Cold Mountain
    Loving Frank
    The Notebook
    Glass Castle
    Secret Life of Bees
    Diary of Ann Frank