3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   Do you believe in god/religion? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/175292-do-you-believe-god-religion.html)

glitterducky 06-27-2009 04:06 AM

Do you believe in god/religion?

What are your ideas about god and religion in general?

Let's stay calm about this because this can and probably will get heated. Please feel free to move if needed. I didn't see a religious forum. :dizzy:

Rosinante 06-27-2009 04:42 AM

I believe in God.

Religion is a man-made (and by and large man = male, not just man = human) set of rules designed to help people relate to God, and therefore to be approached with caution as well as deep respect.

God talks to me through Anglicanism - episcopalian Christianity. It's how I serve him (I'm a minister of religion) but it's also how he's saved me from sinking into a mire of depression, some 20 years ago.

helwa588 06-27-2009 05:00 AM

Yes I do believe God. This universe is too huge for it to have just appeared on it's own. I'm actually a very religious purpose. I believe religion guides you through life. I believe you need guidelines in life. And for me personally religion is what gives me those guidelines and direction in life.

Lila Leeds 06-27-2009 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ailidh (Post 2802315)
I believe in God.

Religion is a man-made (and by and large man = male, not just man = human) set of rules designed to help people relate to God, and therefore to be approached with caution as well as deep respect.

I am a "day time athiest", but your quote makes me want to believe.

sakurasky 06-27-2009 06:58 AM

No, I don't.

My religious friends would always be dumbfounded when they first found out, and the same comment would come out of their mouth:

"Then what DO you believe in? You have to believe in something."

So, having been told that so many times, I've come to presume that's what religion is to people. It's just something to believe in. Which is fine. Unless you brainwash, and I mean literally brainwash, your children, and that is just NOT cool at all.

Reddalice 06-27-2009 07:26 AM

I don't subscribe to a religion, though I take learned behaviors from the environment I was raised. As in, I don't believe in God or Jesus as a prophet or savior, but I'm known to say things like "Oh my god" or "Sweet Jesus" or spice that with profanities and other strange bits such as "Christ on a Bike!"

I'm spiritual and relate to a divine feminine.

Thighs Be Gone 06-27-2009 08:02 AM

I believe in God. I believe we will be held responsible for our actions. I believe in an afterlife. I do not consider myself a Christian but do not deny that Jesus did in fact, live.

bacilli 06-27-2009 09:26 AM

I believe in God. When I was 15, my mom allowed me to stop attending her church and go in search of a church I could call my own. After 2 years of studying different religions and attending different churches, I came to the conclusion that most religions are the same at their base. It's all about a "higher power" that loves you no matter what and the faith in that higher power can help you be a better person, with a reward at the end.

I very much believe that there is a heaven and a ****, and that I will go to heaven when I die.

I don't, however, believe that someone from another religion won't be there with me. Who am I to judge someone else's faith? I can show no "proof" that my beliefs are right, so I can't "prove" theirs are wrong.

I think for me it boils down to faith. My faith is the only "irrational" aspect of my life - for everything else I must be able to see it, read it, touch it, experience it etc. That alone bolsters my faith - because I still believe it even though it's not tangible.

TJFitnessDiva 06-27-2009 09:52 AM

No I don't....I lean more towards a pagan belief but not full blown wiccan. I'm still learning about it and trying to see if I there is actually a name for it. I guess I'm more spiritual than anything for now :lol:

harrismm 06-27-2009 10:59 AM

Not at all.Its all way to hard to believe for any rational person.(no offense)Jonah...lived in a whale???Virgin birth???plus many many more.I believe the bible is all mythology.no different than fairy tales.I am a scientist and I believe in evolution,which there is much scientific proof of.

bucketwithapurpose 06-27-2009 11:05 AM

I've always wanted to believe in a god/savior/whatever, but alas, everytime I try I just feel like I'm praying to myself. It feels awkward, and it's just not for me.

I'm all for religion, as long as it's taken as a guideline. When people start killing each other for who's man-written text is better then another's man-written text, I think we should start looking at how we're preaching the text and question if we're really doing it as it was intended.

I myself am a buddhist with some hindu influence, but overall agnostic about the whole god thing. It works. It feels right to me. :]

Tracy 06-27-2009 11:06 AM

I am a christian,and do believe. I saw many things that prove this.My faith is getting stronger,and I just know. However I am still searching for the church that is right for me. I do pray,and talk to God. But,have not been going to church,as I am told I should. Some might call me hyprocrite.But,I know I am becoming more spiritual.I am spiritual,but defiently not religious.:angel:

Lori Bell 06-27-2009 11:14 AM

Having experianced the true miracle of birth, I am totally convinced that there is something more powerful at work in this universe than man alone. I have found over the years that women with children are more *likely* to "believe" than men or childless women. (Not always, and just in my life experience)

I attend church and I teach Sunday School, but I still have many unanswered questions and I convey that to my students. I do not care for the hypocrites who pick and choose what they want to believe. I would prefer not to attend church because I don't like the gossip, criticism, the judgemental money grubbing and spending attitude that happens at a place of worship. I go for my family, my husband especially because he asked me to go. To me, I know deep down in my heart that Jesus Christ would not want money spent on a Million dollar pipe organ or a $50K stain glass window. He would want that money spent on sick children and needy families. I think I would be more comfortable worshiping in a field than at the "Crystal Cathedral, give me a break...As if Jesus would really want that.

bargoo 06-27-2009 11:25 AM

Religion

Quote:

Originally Posted by glitterducky (Post 2802310)
What are your ideas about god and religion in general?

Let's stay calm about this because this can and probably will get heated. Please feel free to move if needed. I didn't see a religious forum. :dizzy:

Check Faith Based Support Group see Christian Encouragers .

bargoo 06-27-2009 11:30 AM

I believe in God and his only son Jesus Christ who sacrified has life for me that I may have life eternal.