Does PMS get worse as we get older?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • In my 20's and 30's any signs of pms (moodiness, crankiness, cravings) were limited to a day or two before my period actually started. Now it starts a full week before and it's driving me crazy. Nothing has really changed except my age.

I'm 42 now and just started having some mild hot flashes at night and wonder if hormone changes start making pms even more miserable.
  • You're probably closing in on the change and thats what is making it worse. I would say so far my PMS is much improved over my 20's where I would fly off the handle in yelling fits.
  • Mine has definately gotten worse as ive gotten older.
  • I am 43 and mine has definitely gotten worse...I really didn't have PMS in my 20's and 30's, with perimenapause closing in it's defintitely here with a vengenance......there are days I just want to cry and others I am so irritable I can't even stand myself.
  • Mine gets worse whenever it is convenient for me....
  • Mine was worse in my 20's. Of course, I'm not peri-menopausal, so... time will tell...
  • I am 44. I think I am in perimenopause now. I have noticed that my PMS has gotten worse also. I get bloated and really irritable about a week before my period. Haven't had any hot flashes yet but my hair is thinning dramatically, my periods are heavy but very regular and the cramping is severe again (like in my teens). Being a woman is such a lifetime joy!
  • Well, it's good to know I'm not alone.

I have to say, I sometimes think being a woman is a bunch of hooey.
  • I am 48, and I can say YES my PMS and periods have gotten worse with age. To the point that on May 19, I had endrimetrial ablasion. Goggle it if you are unfamiliar with it. I am hoping for great results.
  • I'm 34 and it's definitely getting worse the older I get.
  • I'm 30. I think mine has improved slightly, after having my beloved son 4 years ago. Very rarely am I mentally reaching for the knife drawer now at that time.

Still, there's plenty of time to completely reverse that trend!

Thinks being a woman is a bunch of hooey +1
  • Mine has improved, I used to be soo fussy. I'm 34 now. Though the actual period itself seems to be longer and heavier these days ugh.
  • I am 42-- and my PMS has definitely gotten worse-- so much so that my husband claims he does not even know me anymore.
    Guess I should get some help for that? LOL!
  • Quote: I am 48, and I can say YES my PMS and periods have gotten worse with age. To the point that on May 19, I had endrimetrial ablasion. Goggle it if you are unfamiliar with it. I am hoping for great results.
    Hi Annie, I had endometrial abation almost a year ago (I'm 53). It was the best thing I ever did!! But, as it does not affect your ovaries, it does not change your hormones. It solved my periods from ****, but I still have the moodiness, etc. But hey, at least the hormones are still being produced, which is a good thing, healthwise.
  • Those of you living with a man should make him read this. Very interesting article written by a man who went through hormone therapy for prostate cancer. He "gets" menopause and PMS.

Cut and paste:

(I guess I am not "25 or over" so I can't add a link. I will repost when I reach "25." If you want to look for yourself, search for "My Life as a Woman," by Dana Jennings.)