General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 06-15-2009, 07:07 AM   #1  
agility-nut

S/C/G: 258/see ticker/170

Height: 5'9

Default Yoga anyone?

I am 50 years old and 60 lbs overwight. My gym has free yoga classes and would like to try it. Does anyone here do yoga. With my stats, should I even try?
Janis427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:13 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Yes, you should try. But you should not just take the first free yoga class that comes your way. A lot of times the instructors at gyms have had maybe a weekend training class, or a week long, and aren't as trained as instructors at a studio.

Find a local yoga studio and talk to the instructors. See if they have experience with older people, and with helping people with lots of extra flesh. I have very large breasts and I often have to modify the poses for myself since they get in the way at times.

Also, check out the book (and I think theres a video) called MegaYoga about yoga for larger people. And when looking for classes look for words like gentle, restorative (done with bolsters and pillows to support you), yin (poses on the floor, held for a few minutes at a time).
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:15 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

You should definitely try yoga...BUT:

~Speak with the staff at the gym, and see what qualifications and experience the instructor has. You want a certified YOGA instructor...not a personal trainer who normally works with strength training, or an aerobics instructor, etc. who is teaching their first yoga class.

A yoga instructor is DIFFERENT than a general personal trainer, etc. They are going to be much better trained.

I teach belly dance classes at two locations-at a gym, and at a yoga studio. Night and day. I will not take a yoga class from an aerobics instructor. Period.

At the yoga studio where I work on Thursdays, they have multiple classes based on your individual needs-chair yoga, prenatal yoga, beginners, intermediates, advanced, restorative yoga, and so on.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:36 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

most definately try yoga. Give it a shot...but like aphil said...make sure it is a certified yoga instructor who knows what they ard doing. That being said...when you go to a yoga class...don't feel like you have to get in the exact pose...every good yoga instructor will tell you to listen to your body..if you have to bend our knees to do a pose do it. Get into a stretch only to the point the you feel comfy...the more you do it..the more flexible you will be come and the stronger you will become...good luck and have fun..yoga is wonderful...strenght, flexibility, relaxation and exercise all in one class.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote