General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 05-17-2009, 08:22 PM   #1  
LBH

S/C/G: 279.8/276.9/170

Height: 5'10"

Default Convection Toaster Oven?

Hey All,

Just looking for some opinions! My toaster oven is dead. I like the idea of the convection toaster ovens, but am looking for opinions. Do you have one?

What is your main use of it? (toast or cooking things)?

What are your pet peeves about it?

Favorite thing about it?

Thanks!

PS, I use mine everyday, for everything - but more cooking/warming than toast. I depend on it almost as much as the microwave!!

Last edited by LBH; 05-17-2009 at 08:25 PM.
LBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I had one, it eventually wore out, but I liked it when it was working. I have even baked a ham in it as well as a pie,
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:12 PM   #3  
Workin' It

I have one, love it. Make toast, hot dogs, frozen pizza for DSS, have baked pork chops & chicken in it in the past, made a pie one time. Lots of uses.

ETA - I also reheat a lot of things in it - keeps them crispy.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 05-17-2009 at 09:12 PM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 09:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

We use it for everything... baking, chicken, tofu, roasting vegetables... embarrassed to say, we never use the regular oven. Everything cooked in the toaster oven comes out good though!
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:55 PM   #5  
~*Lupo di Autunno*~

S/C/G: 162/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I love mine, too. It mades GREAT roast chicken breasts. I have an Oster from Costco.
Wolf Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:06 PM   #6  
LBH

THanks Ladies! If you don't mind, what make/model do you have? I've always had B&D's, but this last one was a different brand that DH bought...don't even know what brand. It's the only one I've had that actually broke though.

Also, does your have an annoying beep when you open the door? My last B&D had that, and DH was in the habit of leaving the door open when he was done with it!
Old 05-18-2009, 01:24 PM   #7  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Are these more energy efficient than reg. ovens. It seems I use my oven way too much for many of the things I cook. With summer coming, I don't want to get the house hotter than it has to be!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:29 PM   #8  
slowNsteady wins the race

S/C/G: 191/ticker/145

Height: 5'-4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone View Post
Are these more energy efficient than reg. ovens. It seems I use my oven way too much for many of the things I cook. With summer coming, I don't want to get the house hotter than it has to be!
I don't know how efficient they are, but heating up the house is definitely a factor I think about in choosing to use my toaster oven over my conventional oven.

The big oven perceptibly heats up the kitchen, especially when it's on the broil setting (on of my favorite ways of cooking chicken/fish). The toaster doesn't do that. It heats up quickly and cools down fast.

Also, as a person living alone, I don't need the capacity of the large oven. The broil tray/grille that my toaster oven came with is plenty for one or two pieces of meat and it comes out perfect every time. I've even baked fish in the broil tray (just put down some foil first so that there is no clean up)
rocketbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:20 PM   #9  
LBH

Yeah, I don't know about how efficient it is, but it definitely more convenient! And that's even with my family of 4! I can make the boys chicken nuggets or hotdogs in no time. Pizza "toasted" comes out perfect. I've made 1/2 dozen cookies in there for the boys for dessert and snacks. "Cheesy toast", french toast sticks, fish sticks, bagel pizzas, quesadillas...
Old 05-27-2009, 07:39 PM   #10  
~*Lupo di Autunno*~

S/C/G: 162/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone View Post
Toaster ovens usually use more energy to heat up per square foot than conventional, but because they have a fraction of the capacity of a regular oven, are actually more energy efficient.
Wolf Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote