3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   General chatter (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter-72/)
-   -   What is it with FREE food??? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/general-chatter/167517-what-free-food.html)

belezura 03-23-2009 03:24 PM

What is it with FREE food???

Ok, by now I already know I am food addicted.
I remember that every single day, many, many times.
It is very hard to control myself when I see delicious food around or even smell them, but somehow I manage to avoid them.

For some reason I find it much more difficult to turn down FREE food! Or let me put this way: I think it is a lot more easier to turn down payed food then free ones (which almot sounds like impossible to refuse).
I think if I didn’t have so many situations where I would have free food, my diet would be easier than what really is when I have to say NO to free food!
Could someone explain it?

tinycities 03-23-2009 03:41 PM

I would guess that the issue with free food is that it's generally presented in a way that means as soon as you become aware of its presence, it can be eaten immediately. There's practically no stages between getting the urge to have some, and actually eating it, meaning there's very little opportunity to consider the decision and have some willpower kick in.

Even when compared to convenience food you might have in your own home, there's still stopping what you're doing, getting up, and going to the kitchen and opening the packaging. That and the fact that if you have the packaging, you probably know the nutritional values of the food too, which may be offputting. There's also a social factor to it as well, in that people often eat more when in a group of other people eating; when you're at home and you want a snack, it probably isn't being socially reinforced.

I think the allure of free food comes from its immediacy, making it much harder to resist!

saef 03-23-2009 04:21 PM

For me, it's a cultural & psychological issue.

My mother's family was far from well-off, and she has instilled into me the importance of never paying full price for anything & of comparison-shopping. I've joked that her motto is: "If they're giving it away for free, take two."

When I see something free, or included as a package deal with something I've already paid for, I'm greedier than if I had to buy it separately. I have interrogated myself about this. It's a feeling of having to get all that I'm entitled to, of getting my money's worth, of not carelessly letting an opportunity slip by.

It's the buffet-eating mindset & for me, it's dangerous.

beerab 03-23-2009 04:59 PM

I think that's why when people go to buffet's they pig out even more so. I've had to teach myself that I'm not just paying for the food, but the service of them preparing it for me and laying it all out- and in general I now just stay away from buffets lol. But if I have to I load up my plate ONCE and try to keep it that way.

Mmmm right now I'm remembering the last buffet I went to in Vegas- it was AWESOME!

nelie 03-23-2009 05:44 PM

Buffets have always been easy for me "eww that food has been sitting out for how long?" Only buffets I ever liked were Indian buffets and that is because the food is definitely fresh and its good to try a little of stuff you haven't had before.

Free food can be difficult, bagels are one of my weaknesses and often for work breakfasts, bagels are offered and its hard for me to resist.

PearFreak 03-23-2009 09:18 PM

Hehehe... I feel the same way Belezura.

flatiron 03-23-2009 11:24 PM

I just posted somewhere I can't resist free food! In my line of work the promotors are always bringing out free food. LOL! Also for some reason many of the older folks at my church like to bake me cakes and pies! I think they just like me and want to do something nice for me and if you look at me it is obvious that I like to eat so it's pie time! LOL!

And even the grocery store I go to most (Harris Teeter a kinda gourmet grocery store) always has plastic bowls of free samples of everything from meats to cheese and pieces of cookies and fruit! LOL! Sitting right there with tooth picks in there ready to go for FREE!