General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 03-04-2009, 01:11 AM   #1  

Default The "Kirstie Alley" announcement here is a bit dated

Is it still considered "bashing" to say she gained the weight back? I mean it's kind of accepted knowledge now, isn't it?

I mean people DO lose weight and then gain it....Lord knows I have and more times than I can count.

Like Oprah, she's a cautionary tale.
K8-EEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:13 AM   #2  
Operator265

I find it pretty timeless myself. It basically reminds us that we can discuss issues, but not to get mean about it. It may be relevant to a topic to mention that even with Oprah's money she struggles if it is something you can relate too. But, don't make snide and stupid comments that would hurt if you read the post with your own name in place of Oprah's(or whoever). You could very well be talking about a situaton that another member is going thru.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:20 AM   #3  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I'm just glad my weight struggles aren't in front of millions.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:20 AM   #4  

Height: 5' 4 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailidh View Post
Amen sister!!
shelbysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:16 AM   #5  

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'4"

I think the spirit of the message still rings true. A few years ago, we had Kirstie hawking weight watchers. Now, Winona is promoting Alli, Belinda Carlile promoting nuitrisystem, and Valerie Bertinelli promoting weight watchers, with Phylicia Rashaad just starting on her WW journey. What happens if Belinda or Valerie start looking as if they are gaining weight? What happens if Winona isn't successful with Alli, or Phylicia only loses 10 lbs on WW?

I think we all know that weight loss is hard, and just b/c a celebrity is on a commercial saying they are committed to losing weight, but they can't get it together or they gain some of it back doesn't mean they are a failure.

I know personally I have endeavored several time to lose weight, being 210 at my highest and 160 at my lowest since college. But, battles with depression and anxiety, and repeated attempts to quit smoking derail me every time. I am hoping to be successful this time, but it is a constant struggle.

I really feel for these women, putting themselves out there like that. I do think Kirstie has gained a good bit of weight back, but I kind of feel sorry for her rather than a desire to mock her. I also kind of feel for her, having dropped a lot of weight and then gained more than half of it back a couple of years later.

Last edited by BettyBooty; 03-04-2009 at 08:17 AM.
BettyBooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:04 AM   #6  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Its for Kirstie Alley and 'other celebs'. What would you want people to say about you? Really the idea is not to say anything that you wouldn't say to someone's face or wouldn't have said to your face if it was you.

If Kirstie Alley has gained all her weight back, I feel for her, we all know the struggle.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:05 AM   #7  
Operator265

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailidh View Post
10-4!!! My weight loss has been a topic of discussion at work. With 100 men and only 5 women, it certainly got noticed. And, even with knowing me and being able to ask directly hasn't prevented a lot of ridiculous assumptions.

Nope, no new man around, just doing it for me.
Nope, didn't lose it all just cause I gotta more physical job, it has also taken a lotta planning, work and outside exercise.
Nope, dumba$$, I don't wanna go out to dinner with you after work.

Thank heavens I don't have every POS yellow journalist in the world coming up with crap about it just to sell papers. What a nightmare.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:15 AM   #8  
Priscatip

Height: 5' 6"

I can't even imagine having every pound you lost and gained in all the magazines at the grocery store. And the baby bump watch, how terrible would that be. I agree, we should feel for them, they're just other people and every one is watching them.
Priscatip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:14 PM   #9  

Well originally I was the one in trouble for bagging on Kirstie, LOL, and my issue with her was not that she gained the weight back because in that way we are SISTERS UNDER THE SKIN AND BIG TIME!

My issue was that she was still hawking a commercial weight loss program when she in fact was gaining all the weight back, which I thought was dishonest. But now I don't have that issue any more.

Far be it for me to diss anybody for yoyo dieting, it's my personal M.O.! But I'm not squeezing myself into girdles and going on TV telling my sistas XYZ corporation solved my weight dilemmas.

And yes it seems that once you take the $$ for doing that -- that you invite people to comment on your weight!
Old 03-04-2009, 01:18 PM   #10  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

That's the thing... I feel for all of them, but I happen to know that I am not getting paid for losing weight!! If you put yourself out there, it can be scary. But don't cry too hard for them until you see the paycheck!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:51 PM   #11  

Pesonally I've known people who have had to go off JC because of all the hidden costs of it....which I don't think are properly disclosed on those commercials, like, they act like the JC costs the same as what you are spending now but you have to buy your own fruit, veggies, and dairy to supplement their pre-fab food and if you have to cook for your family besides, it can be very expensive.

That's why it irked me that that Kirstie who not only got the program for free got the BIG BUCKS for promoting it -- continued to promote it after it stopped working for her. Honestly if it was me I would have owned up and walked away from the contract before making those last couple of ads which IMO were downright fraudulent.

As for the the post saying "how can you know how much she weighs if you don't weigh her?" etc....come on....when you lose 70 pounds and gain back 70pounds it it really necessary to have a measuring tape to confirm it? How about EYES? I saw her fairly recently at a Chinese restaurant and she is back in her Fat Actress era wardrobe, mumus and huge trench coat. It's not like body type age and etc etc like in the message here.

I mean I feel for her cuz it sucks to gain the weight back but if you ask me the difference between her & the more successful Val B is: 1) exercise and 2) therapy. Kirstie flat out said that aside from "dancing around the house" or whatever she didn't get too into exercise and Val is absolutely committed to that and also according to her (excellent btw) book also worked on the psychological issues that led her to overeat. I honestly believe that NO PROGRAM even one that's paying you a million dollars has a prayer of working without those factors in it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashnl View Post
That's the thing... I feel for all of them, but I happen to know that I am not getting paid for losing weight!! If you put yourself out there, it can be scary. But don't cry too hard for them until you see the paycheck!
Old 03-04-2009, 02:05 PM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Well obviously people have eyes, they can either believe the Jenny Craig commercials she did or they don't. At least its the same person as opposed to many other commercials for weight loss products where they will show someone 'before' and 'after' when its either a different person or someone who was paid to gain weight for a before picture.

As I said, I don't think her weight, no matter what it is, or her weight gain, should be a source of gossip. 3FC is a place of support, even for those that aren't on here.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:53 PM   #13  
Sandy....

S/C/G: 270/207.8/155

Height: 5'5

Wow, I didn't know KA gained her weight back! I thought she was coming out with her own food line, which is why she left JC? I saw her talking about her own food line on Oprah about a year ago I guess.
mygritsconfessions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:57 PM   #14  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
As I said, I don't think her weight, no matter what it is, or her weight gain, should be a source of gossip. 3FC is a place of support, even for those that aren't on here.
Good point, especially as many of us don't share our "real" names, and we have no idea whether they are or aren't here.

I would hate to overhear friends or strangers, even just stating the facts, "Did you hear, Colleen gained back at least 30 lbs?" It may be "just a fact," but it's still the idea that they would consider my weight a suitable topic of their conversation.

Last edited by kaplods; 03-04-2009 at 03:01 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:20 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 229/SeeTicker/155

Height: 5' 9"

I feel for everyone who likes to eat too much, including myself. Heaven, to me, would be a place where you can eat what you want and not gain an ounce.

I do think that when celebrities accept millions of dollars from a company to show how a product helps them to lose weight, and THE POINT is for them to do it in the public eye, so as to promote that product and make the company rich, then that celebrity opens themselves up for the criticism that will inevitably ensue if they don't hold up their end of the deal, and if they proceed to be dishonest about how they're really doing.

Of course, 3FC has every right to ask us not to discuss specific cases.
babenwaiting is offline   Reply With Quote