Guilty pleasures--weight-loss TV shows

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • First confession up front: I watch too much TV. It's on while I do other things, but it's still on a lot. This means I get to watch a lot of different TV shows. One of my guilty pleasures, even since before I started losing weight, was TV shows about weight loss*.

Tonight's tear-jerker weight-loss show was X-weighted. It's a one-hour show on Slice network (which used to Life network but re-branded), and for those of you who are curious, there's some info here. Tonight's episode was about a woman, an unemployed single mother with two daughters, one of whom had cerebral palsy. The woman started the show with the goal of losing 50 pounds over the six months of filming, and had the fitness goal of biking 50 km while towing her disabled daughter behind her. Since they film for six months, they shows the person's successes and also her struggles--an injury that affect her workouts; a trip to Toronto to visit her sister, who was pregnant with triplets and had to have a c-section too early in the pregnancy, and lost one of the babies; her struggles with money, work and buying more expensive, nutritious food. By the end of the show, I was all teary--not only had she lost 50 pounds and an amazing 23 inches, she completed her 50K bike ride, including towing her daughter, going up a giant hill, and completing it in great time. Everyone who had supported her throughout was there and so happy for her, as was she.

I also watch The Last 10 Pounds Bootcamp and Bulging Brides. They're not as in-depth as X-weighted--they seem to emphasize "dieting" (to look good for a reunion, an event, or a wedding, not for health) instead of long-term eating and exercise changes--but they're still motivating to me, and besides, I think the guy is cute. (Info

I love shows like that. I really think they're motivating, and I like to see what works for other people. I also like to see that even people who succeed have challenges along the way.

So people, fess up: what weight-loss TV shows motivate you? Or even just captivate you?
  • I watch the same ones you do! And I also saw the x-weighted one today. I also like Superskinny vs Supersize.

I also like the shows on TLC about the obesity problem. They had this story about this guy that lost 700 pounds with Gene Simmons and then within 7 years he gained 800 pounds. I think it's one of the saddest things I can imagine. It's also motivational because it makes me realize how lucky I am to be able to move and run etc, not to mention how lucky I am to be able to actually live a normal life.
  • I love X-Weighted. I used to watch it on TVTropolis but they've discontinued airing it, so I never see it anymore. I have watched the episode you are talking about, Nakedmango, and a lot of their episodes make me tear up.

As for the trainer, Paul Plakas, I think he is great...he tells it like it is. I was on his website and decided to send him an e-mail, just to tell him how much he and the show have taught me, and tell him a little about my own weight loss. He e-mailed me back a few days later, congratulating me on my weight loss and thanking me for being a fan. So there's my celebrity crush, I thought it was nice he wrote back!
  • Quote: First confession up front: I watch too much TV. It's on while I do other things, but it's still on a lot. This means I get to watch a lot of different TV shows. One of my guilty pleasures, even since before I started losing weight, was TV shows about weight loss*.

Tonight's tear-jerker weight-loss show was X-weighted. It's a one-hour show on Slice network (which used to Life network but re-branded), and for those of you who are curious, there's some info here. Tonight's episode was about a woman, an unemployed single mother with two daughters, one of whom had cerebral palsy. The woman started the show with the goal of losing 50 pounds over the six months of filming, and had the fitness goal of biking 50 km while towing her disabled daughter behind her. Since they film for six months, they shows the person's successes and also her struggles--an injury that affect her workouts; a trip to Toronto to visit her sister, who was pregnant with triplets and had to have a c-section too early in the pregnancy, and lost one of the babies; her struggles with money, work and buying more expensive, nutritious food. By the end of the show, I was all teary--not only had she lost 50 pounds and an amazing 23 inches, she completed her 50K bike ride, including towing her daughter, going up a giant hill, and completing it in great time. Everyone who had supported her throughout was there and so happy for her, as was she.

I also watch The Last 10 Pounds Bootcamp and Bulging Brides. They're not as in-depth as X-weighted--they seem to emphasize "dieting" (to look good for a reunion, an event, or a wedding, not for health) instead of long-term eating and exercise changes--but they're still motivating to me, and besides, I think the guy is cute. (Info

I love shows like that. I really think they're motivating, and I like to see what works for other people. I also like to see that even people who succeed have challenges along the way.

So people, fess up: what weight-loss TV shows motivate you? Or even just captivate you?

Yup, I love X-weighted, bulging brides and the last 10 pounds bootcamp. I don't actually like the Biggest Loser -- it's too long and drawn out. I love Brookhaven Obesity Clinic. I don't know why!

But my FAVORITE guilty pleasure TV show is Real Housewives of Orange County!

~CGH~
  • I like all these shows as well. I'm really excited b/c Ruby starts here in Canada in next week and its supposed to be really good. I like Brookhaven Clinic as well but find it a little depressing when the patients sneak take out. I was able to quit Real Housewives though since coming to Canada.
  • I watch all the same ones, plus I do watch biggest loser too, but it is long and I fast forward through some bits.
  • Yay! I am not the only one.

Has anyone picked up some good tips from those shows? I like to look at Nadine's daily food plan on Bootcamp/Bulging Brides.

And, most importantly, are there any weight-loss shows that I'm missing that I should be watching?!?
  • I could watch weight loss shows all day long. If they could just have them all on one channel I would sign up for it!

I really like X Weighted as sensible motivation. It happens over 6 months and these people are doing it while still living their normal lives. They have to deal with kids, jobs, relationships and all the stuff you can't prepare for. It makes you think that weightloss is actually possible without taking time out from life.

Having said that I absolutely love The Biggest Loser. It's a bit all over the place on UK TV so today I have only just seen the first 2 episodes of the US season 4 despite spending last year constantly watching season 5!

JackieRN I'm the same with Brookhaven Shows. I get so angry with some of the patients there when they sneak in food or complain about being there. They are so lucky to be in a place that wants to help them when there must be countless other people out there who would give anything to get that chance and would really do well there.
  • Quote: I could watch weight loss shows all day long. If they could just have them all on one channel I would sign up for it!
    Now that is a GREAT idea! Can't believe they don't have that yet! I don't really get very many tips per se from the shows, they just inspire me.

Quote: JackieRN I'm the same with Brookhaven Shows. I get so angry with some of the patients there when they sneak in food or complain about being there. They are so lucky to be in a place that wants to help them when there must be countless other people out there who would give anything to get that chance and would really do well there.
    YES! me too. Especially because at the beginning they were BEGGING to be let into the clinic!!!

~CGH~
  • I love all those shows! Although I think I watch bulging brides and the last ten pounds boot camp to see tommy the trainer...not so much for the results of the weight loss. X-weighted is great, I was so inspired by yesterdays episode.
  • Quote: I love all those shows! Although I think I watch bulging brides and the last ten pounds boot camp to see tommy the trainer....
    I know! He's a really fine specimen. I saw him walking down the street in Vancouver and squealed with delight! Too bad I was inside my car and couldn't say anything.

~CGH~
  • Oh that Tommy is hot isn't he and I like his approach as well, especially at the end when they do the final challenge. I'll have to checkout bulging brides.
  • X-weighted always makes me cry. Probably because I'm over joyed that they got to reach or almost reach their goal. It hits close to home.
  • I've never seen x-weighted, what channel is that on?
  • In Canada, it's on Slice, but in the U.S., I believe it's on Discovery Health.