Whatcha Reading Jan 2009?

You're on Page 1 of 7
Go to
  • Happy New Year Everyone!! It's that time again. Tell us all what you are reading.

I am reading The Secret Life of Bees.
  • Hey, yay for the new thread for this year!

I did a lot of travel and got a lot of reading done. Recently, I have read:

Bodies Left Behind by Jeffrey Deaver - a thriller I borrowed from my mom. Not my usual fare, but it was okay. I really liked the twisty ending.

The Day I Ate Whatever I wanted by Elizabeth Berg. I'm a big Elizabeth Berg fan and really enjoyed this collection of short stories. Appropriate for this board, there were several stories about weight/weight loss. There were also good stories about love, aging, relationships. I really liked it!

Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb. Wow, this was a thick, meaty TOME of a book. It is kind of hard to describe, the author talked about Columbine, trauma recovery, prisons, slavery, addiction - it ended up spanning several hundred years (due to some recovered letters). I found it very very readable, could hardly put it down.

Book of Dahlia. An extremely unlikeable character gets cancer and the author peels back layer after layer until I felt sympathy and like I really knew her. Also, the author could really be hilarious.

Black Flies - medics in Harlem. Very gritty - like The Wire for medics.

I am currently reading Toss of a Lemon. I liked the first half, but it's dragging a bit. Not sure how long I'm going to keep fighting through it - plenty of other stuff waiting on the shelf!
  • Right now I'm just finishing up "Such a Pretty Fat" by Jen Lancaster. Funny stuff!
  • I just finished The Heir to Sevenwaters by Juliette Marrilier this morning. Good stuff. I'm on to Orson Scott Card's newest in the Ender series.
  • I just got "Tis" to listen to while I'm walking. It's read by the author, and I enjoyed his reading of "Angel's Ashes."

I'm also reading "Toxic Parents" and "The 9 Steps to Financial Freedom."
  • Im reading the second twilight book: New moon
  • i'm reading the new Stephen King collection, "Just After Sunset."

if you go here, you can see all the books i read in 2008!
  • I'm not reading at the moment...I'm writing. I started a novel a few years back and decided to put it on the shelf for a while until my son went to kindergarden. So, now that he's in second grade, I decided to restart it. So far, I like it. I love writing.
  • Quote: Im reading the second twilight book: New moon
    I think New Moon was my favorite of the series. I like a book with conflict. It keeps the pages turning. I have to say, though, that the triangle she started with Edward, Jacob and Bella left me feeling weird. You'll see what I mean when you get to books 3 and especially 4...very weird. But worth the read.
  • Quote: i'm reading the new Stephen King collection, "Just After Sunset."

if you go here, you can see all the books i read in 2008!
    Can't open that link, prompts for a login name

Here is my book list (I started adding books read by date last spring):

http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/1035707?shelf=read
  • I'm reading "Pledged" by Alexandra Robbins. Not too far into it yet, but I'm enjoying it.
  • re reading Poppy Z. Brite's books 11 years later after I got done with the Twilight Books these Grown Up vamp stories are giving me nightmares lol
  • I am reading Life of Pi right now. So far, I like it. So many people have told me that it is a must read.
  • I just recently finished my first Jen Lancaster book - Bitter is the new Black. I really dislike the author (or at least her tone) but I couldn't quit reading it and want to read the next one. Also read a Christmas novel called O Little Town last week. It was sweet and simple. Currently reading a couple of nonfictions Five Conversations you must have with your Daughter, and Barack Obama's Dreams from my Father.
  • Where did all the fat go? By Dr. Rob Huizenga aka physician to The BiIggest Loser Cast.