General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 01-01-2009, 11:03 AM   #1  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Default Sick people everywhere!!

So I've had sick people in my house since right before Christmas and I keep getting sick!! Actually, I just haven't been able to completely kick this cold (does everyone in the free world have this thing???).

I'm trying to be diligent in my cleaning. I've been washing all the bedding and towels more frequently and have been opening windows to air things out. I'm also taking clorox wipes to all my door knobs, handles, etc...

However, there is a sick person staying on my couch! Aside from getting a new couch (which I would LOVE, actually), how can I disinfect it during/after her stay? I thought about getting a spray bottle and putting dilluted bleach in it, but I don't want to stain my pillows and what-not. What's a good non-stain ratio for bleach?

Any tips from you cleaning experts on stopping this terrible cycle of snot and sleepless nights?

Sincerely,
Dizzy in Denver
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:29 AM   #2  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Dear DIZZY ~

I don't know if "everyone" in the free world has this cold but I do and so do all the guys on my crew. Getting better each day NOW for me....came down with it Christmas Eve.

Never disinfected a couch before....too many kids on it!

I am feeling well enough now to go do a "slow" 5K.....

C-Ya and hope you feel better soon
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:58 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 184/175.5/155

Height: 6'2"

I'm also not sure about disinfecting the couch. I'd try Lysol spray, if anything. Not bleach.

DD#1 had the stomach virus earlier in the week. DD#2 has that cold that's going around. Now DD#1 is getting the cold too. It's just a matter of time before I catch it. Diligent about hand washing and NOT touching my face though. I'm sure I'll catch it all on Monday when I have to be back at work.

Stay well!
RunnerKim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:06 PM   #4  
Let's do this!

Gary- thanks! Enjoy your run. Maybe you'll sweat it out running?

RunnerKim: Lysol! Perfect! I don't use it normally, so it would probably work. Thanks! I wash my hands constantly. I wash them the second I enter the house and before I leave (and plenty in between). I just don't know how I brought this on! I think I brought it home from the gym. Perfect, huh? Hope your kiddos feel better and that you stay well!

Last edited by junebug41; 01-01-2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 12:45 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Gosh, I wish I WASN'T one of those sick people. Hopefully it will be a one off kinda thing.

Anyway, I don't know that you can disinfect a couch. I would avoid it while they're there, and then clean it (I'd use a carpet steam cleaner with an upholstry attachment) when they leave. Soap and water really do most of the work anyway.

Also, and I'm sure you're already doing this, but more important than constantly disinfecting surfaces is to constantly wash your hands, and NEVER touch your nose or eyes. This cold I have was my wake-up call to be completely diligent about this the rest of the season.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 01-01-2009 at 12:46 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 02:34 PM   #6  
Let's do this!

Then why do my eyes have to be so itchy

Houseguest has now decided that my favorite dry clean only comforter (like, off my bed) would be the perfect thing to keep her warm as she coughs and sneezes on my couch.

We have reached germ overload, people. I repeat, germ overload.

ETA: and

Last edited by junebug41; 01-01-2009 at 02:39 PM.