General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 12-21-2008, 05:22 PM   #1  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Red face Jumping to Conclusions...OUCH!

During the sermon in church today our Pastor shared a story with us that happened to him yesterday. First I want to say that our church hands out baskets at Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas for those in need. The baskets are full of food, toiletries and other goodies plus a turkey or ham. This year was the largest ever for our church at Christmas, 110 yesterday. Some baskets are picked up and others are delivered by us.

Yesterday our Pastor was walking to his car in the parking lot when he noticed a lady carrying a turkey in one arm and a large basket of food in another. Noticing she was having trouble opening the door of a very expensive luxury automobile he went over for assistance. A very expensive car.

went like this...........

Pastor "May I assist you, looks like you could use a hand"

"Thank-you I can, are you the Pastor here?"

"Yes"

"Pastor, everyone is so nice here, I feel so embarrassed coming for this basket. I really want to tell somebody WHY...but all your people want to do is give the gifts. I wanted to say that my husband and I both had very good jobs, jobs we thought we would never lose, we both got laid off in the same week. We bought a home at the peak of the market because we thought we would never get another chance....it is being foreclosed on now. I hated driving up in this car because of what people might think! But it is a lease car, in the line of work we were in our clients expect to ride in nice cars. We have tried to give it back but they won't take it! I don't know what we are going to do. Thank-you so much for giving us a nice Christmas dinner and more....thank-you."

Our Pastor jumped to a conclusion about the car....same as me when he started sharing the story.

I imagine a lot of folks are in a similar boat right now.

Prayers for all of our boats not to sink.

Have a MERRY CHRISTMAS...it isn't about what you have...it's about love.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 05:47 PM   #2  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

Wow,
Just goes to show, you can't judge a book by its cover. May we all stay afloat in the coming year...
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:22 PM   #3  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for the reminder Gary! I find WHENEVER I become judgmental and critical of others, without first walking in their shoes, I almost always end up embarrassing myself.

There is almost always more to the story than we see, unless we take the time to find out.

So much pain and so many in need this year. They continue to be in my prayers and DH and I are doing what we can in our community.

May we all remember that this season is about love and caring and sharing - following the example our Lord gave us

Last edited by CountingDown; 12-21-2008 at 07:23 PM.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:35 PM   #4  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Yes, GARY, I can so relate to that story. As you know, in May of this year, our older car clunked out on us. A nice school teacher (who we knew) was planning on buying a new car this spring, so she sold us her old one (which was much newer than our old one) for only $500.00. Now this car was valued at much more, but she wanted to help us out, as we were stuck with no car.

Well, I can't tell you how many people keep asking us "How can you afford such an expensive car?" We paid cash for it out of savings we had put away long ago; so we don't have any payments to make. But, they just can't seem to get that into their heads.

We are not $wealthy$ people; we are not even in the middle strata, but GOD has gifted us with the ability to be frugal and good stewards of the funds we do have. We put money away in savings each month, so that when the bad times come, as they always do (and our income fell just this very month); but we are still doing well, simply becuz of handling our finances the way the Bible says we should.

Just goes to show, that many people make the mistake of thinking people have money they don't; or have something they shouldn't; or maybe, we just shouldn't be so quick to judge others. Some people look like they are doing well but may have terrible debts from medical bills. Many people in the US are having to start over right now; and we are praying for them.

I just want to thank GOD for the many blessings and benefits He has provided for us this year. As you know, we had a tuff year; but He has pulled us through and this Christmas, we can celebrate the coming of JESUS, his Son, with HOPE and PEACE and JOY, just like He intended for us all to do.

MERRY CHRISTMAS, EVERYONE !!!
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 09:27 PM   #5  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwant2Bhealthy View Post
..... but He has pulled us through and this Christmas, we can celebrate the coming of JESUS, his Son, with HOPE and PEACE and JOY, just like He intended for us all to do.

MERRY CHRISTMAS, EVERYONE !!!
I have seen your home Rosebud and know of your car of course. I am sure this gals house and car are more "desired"....however I feel that she may not have the peace that you will this Christmas. No matter where we are and what we have we have the celebration of HOPE! as you well said!

As with COUNTINGDOWN our prayer list gets longer
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote