Oh deary me.

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • So I just tried out my elliptical for the first time. Holy crap that thing is a work out and a half, after about 10 minutes of regular speed and 5 of a little faster, I was done. For those who have an elliptical, how was it when you first got it, how long can you go on it for now?
  • Most people I know who use the elliptical were only able to go 5-10 minutes at a time, but were able to extend that after a fairly short period of time.

I would do 10 on the elliptical and then 10 on the bike and then 10 on the elliptical until I could do all 30 minutes on the elliptical. I can go up to about 50 minutes now.

I don't recall it taking very long- I worked up to a 30-40 minute average in maybe a few weeks?
  • When I first started, I'd been doing 30-40 minutes on the treadmill - but 5 minutes on the elliptical kicked my butt! Now I can go for 30 minutes or more (there's a 30 min limit at our gym if someone is waiting). I like it
  • When I started on the elliptical, I'd already been doing various other forms of cardio...but I started at 45 minutes. Worked my way up to my current hour. I did have to have the resistance low, though...
  • Well, I am glad then that it is an actual hard work out, and I'm just not THAT out of shape. lol
  • i started being able to do 7 minutes, now i can do 15 in like two weeks! its tough! just push through it as much as you can x
  • Thanks ladies! I WILL work my way up!!!!
  • I think when I first started, 7 mins was my limit. Keeping in mind that I hadn't worked out in YEARS when I first started.

I also found that - for me - if I could make it past the 11 minute mark, it got easier. I have no idea why 11 mins was my magic number, but it really helped me mentally to hit that point ... it's like I hit my stride or something.

AT this point I *can* do an hour or more. I don't want to. I usually do 30-40 mins of HIIT on the elliptical, when I do it.
  • am I supposed to lean forward at all?? or keep my entire body straight?
  • You want to keep your back straight, but relaxed. Tighten your butt, keep your abs firm, and work with your legs and hips. It's ok to lean forward a little, but you don't want to be pitched forward too much, or you'll wind up on your toes a lot - which makes your toes go numb!

• ahah okay thanks, I ask because the handles move with it on this one and they seemed a little far away to stay completely straight.
  • When I got mine, at first I struggled to do 10 minutes on the lowest setting, but after two weeks I was up to 30 minutes at a moderate setting, and after another week or two I could comfortably do 45 minutes at the same moderate setting. I kept a spreadsheet of my workouts every day (how long, which resistance level, calories burned, etc) and I was surprised to look back and see how quickly my endurance built. (Speed, however, is a whole different question, lol.)
  • As for the leaning - does your adjust? You should be able to adjust it to a comfortable setting. Check it out I had to make a few adjustments to my own before I was comfortable.
  • I could do 5-6 minutes when I first started. Now I can comfortably do 60+ if I want. Stamina did build up pretty fast once I started consistently using it
  • I just got my elliptical like 2 or 3 weeks ago, and the first time I did it I lasted like 5-10 mins haha. I now can go for like 30 mins. But my knees are KILLING me I've got long legs and my strides aren't long enough.