General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-25-2008, 10:48 AM   #46  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Me too, but seriously no one could see why she was upset enough to maybe make a comment like that?
No, I really can't. Especially on *this* board where we have all struggled with being overweight and we have all been the subject of hateful, hurtful comments like that from strangers. Those of us who are members here should know better.

And being upset does not give someone a pass to be hateful. Ever.

Last edited by PhotoChick; 11-25-2008 at 10:49 AM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:50 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 231/165/140

Height: 5'5"

Ugh, I hate to say this, but it's how I feel. Although I don't believe it's always that persons fault that they are overweight, I don't think there is anything wrong with asking someone to pay for 2 seats. Someone mentioned previous that they are losing revenue from that seat and since being in business is all about making profit, they have the right to charges for 2 if you take up 2. Emotionally, I can see how it isn't good to subject someone to that, I can't even imagine how awful that must make one feel. But at the same time, those of us who are overweight, know we are overweight and kind of "expect" things to be more difficult for us because of our size.
Extasee58865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:55 AM   #48  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
No, I really can't. Especially on *this* board where we have all struggled with being overweight and we have all been the subject of hateful, hurtful comments like that from strangers. Those of us who are members here should know better.

And being upset does not give someone a pass to be hateful. Ever.

Well I just don't agree. People get mad at each other all the time and say hateful things they don't mean. Even to people they love, let alone to strangers that they've never met in person.
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:56 AM   #49  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
People get mad at each other all the time and say hateful things they don't mean.
That doesn't make it right.

Edited to say - I think we've probably taken this part of the conversation as far as it can go. I'll just agree to disagree with you on this point and move on.

Last edited by PhotoChick; 11-25-2008 at 10:59 AM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:58 AM   #50  

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
That doesn't make it right.

I didn't say it did.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:16 AM   #51  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

People just take the extra seat too personally....the customer service agents do not wait around all day and wait to embarrass overweight people if they need to purchase another seat.

You have to pay for an extra or overweight bag right? Why not another seat if you can't fit into just one? That's a big amount that airlines have to eat esp if they have to let everyone do it.
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:17 AM   #52  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Has anyone seen early models of planes? Even from 20 years ago? They were much more spacious than our current models. Seats are getting smaller, aisles are getting narrower and leg room is getting shorter. All the while the US population is getting fatter.

If airlines did make it so seats had a bit more room, then it would increase the cost of flying and would reach back to the consumer. Airlines aren't a very profitable business but we do depend on them a lot. If airlines made it so a passenger wouldn't have to pay for two seats but needs them, then they'd have to price their tickets for such. Currently, there is no easy way to price for someone who needs two seats other than having the person buy two seats. I honestly don't think someone should be required to buy two seats but its also not fair for someone who buys a seat not to be given a seat. I read a story not too long ago of someone who had no seat on a plane because an overweight passenger took his seat and most of hers.

I think the ideal solution would be to make it so someone could buy 2 seats but at a slightly discounted price. That way the airline knows how much space they have and everyone has a seat. Otherwise perhaps go into the territory of setting a weight limit on when someone has to buy a second seat and asking that during the process. Of course no one really wants to go there and people distribute weight differently so weight doesn't determine width.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 11:46 AM   #53  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by modkittn View Post
Well I just don't agree. People get mad at each other all the time and say hateful things they don't mean. Even to people they love, let alone to strangers that they've never met in person.
I think that is a personality and sometimes cultural thing. Because, yeah, I get mad, my friends and family get mad sometimes, but they just don't get hateful. Really. But I know lots of people who fight in ways that horrify me, and the next day every one is happy. I think the way of fighting that includes hateful stuff as just a normal way of doing it, is incomrehensible. And the people that do it seem to find it incomprehensible that we *don't* do it. I like to feel like I have a moral high ground here, but the older I get the more I realize just how much difference can all be a part of "normal."

Last edited by JulieJ08; 11-25-2008 at 11:46 AM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:03 PM   #54  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
I think that is a personality and sometimes cultural thing. Because, yeah, I get mad, my friends and family get mad sometimes, but they just don't get hateful. Really. But I know lots of people who fight in ways that horrify me, and the next day every one is happy. I think the way of fighting that includes hateful stuff as just a normal way of doing it, is incomrehensible. And the people that do it seem to find it incomprehensible that we *don't* do it. I like to feel like I have a moral high ground here, but the older I get the more I realize just how much difference can all be a part of "normal."
I don't say mean or hateful things when I get mad but I know that other people do and all I was trying to say was that I understand why Melody was frustrated and upset. Everyone jumped on her for saying something mean about obese people. Fine, I agree that it was mean and uncalled for. But no thought to mention why she was so upset. What was said before she chimed in was also wrong and mean to a different group of people and most here just glossed over it.

Last edited by modkittn; 11-25-2008 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:17 PM   #55  

S/C/G: 195/172.8/145

Height: 5'2

I say we let it go now. Melody hasn't posted again since so who knows if she has even looked at this thread since her post to know what any of us feels about it. I'm not so sure "hijacking" this thread to discuss something other than airplane tickets if fair to the original poster.
We have all stated how we feel about it so lets move on.
DisgruntledOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:24 PM   #56  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Has anyone seen early models of planes? Even from 20 years ago? They were much more spacious than our current models.
Geez, and here I was thinking it was just because I was a teeny little thing then But you are right. I remember being a size 12ish (not huge) and having the sides of the seat dig so uncomfortably into legs that I had to spend the entire flight with my legs crossed.

I think they sold those old planes to the discount airlines. ATA was famous for tiny seats for tiny people. My favorite plane model is the one with the 2 seats at each end. DH and I put the middle arm rest up and it's just like having a bench seat.

Last weekend we went to see the Eagles in concert. We paid ALOT of money for 3rd row center tickets. I had never been to the stadium before so wasn't sure of the seating but worried that since we were on the main floor, would we be sitting on rickety folding chairs. They weren't rickety but they sure were small and were locked together so you couldn't move them. I just fit into my seat and was looking over at the regular seats, wishing I had paid less and had a more comfortable seat. The seats to the left of me were empty until just about the start of the concert. I couldn't believe that someone would let those expensive seats go unused, but I do admit to saying lots of prayers thanking God for my good fortune and the extra room I guess I was being cocky because along came 4 people - 2 adults, a teeny weeny petite thing and her hubby who was very very large. Who do you think the guy sat next to? Yep, me. DH and I were sort of cozy with each other but these 2 must have been fighting because he was giving her a wide berth and was spilling over into my chair. As he sat down, he actually sat on top of me. Then he proceeded to sit like a guy with his legs spread out in a wide V. I did not pay that much money to sit squished so I pushed back on him. DH offered to switch seats with me before I started beating on him. But I said no, I was defending my tiny square of a metal chair. Once the concert started, (which was awesome), I moved to the edge of my seat and stayed there. At times when the rows behind me stood up, I did too so it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

I guess in that situation, you just "pays your money and takes your chances" - I'm sure no one is going to pay double for 2 premium seats in an event like that.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:28 PM   #57  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bme View Post
As he sat down, he actually sat on top of me. Then he proceeded to sit like a guy with his legs spread out in a wide V. I did not pay that much money to sit squished so I pushed back on him. DH offered to switch seats with me before I started beating on him.
Man, I HATE that.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:31 PM   #58  
Choose your hard

I remember seeing an article this summer when gas was so outrageous that the airlines were hurting more than ever. With the general population weighing more in general, the planes were heavier and consuming more fuel, costing them more money. The article's author joked tongue in cheek that perhaps the airlines would have to have a scale as you boarded and you'd pay for your seat "by the pound" (depending on what you weighed). Of course they can't really do that, but from strictly a business persective with a very narrow profit margin, they have to find some way to cut costs.

I think that's why they limit and weigh luggage now. If your bag exceeds I think 50 pounds, you pay a substantial extra fee.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:34 PM   #59  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
Man, I HATE that.
Me too! And it's not limited to airplanes. I've had this problem on trains and buses.
It absolutely infuriates me. I get it. You have man parts.

Sorry. We can return to our regularly scheduled program...
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:51 PM   #60  
Choose your hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug41 View Post
Me too! And it's not limited to airplanes. I've had this problem on trains and buses.
It absolutely infuriates me. I get it. You have man parts.
Hey ---does this mean guys should pay double for their extra "passengers"

Sorry... I couldn't resist

Last edited by happy2bme; 11-25-2008 at 12:51 PM.