Need LOTS of opinions :)

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • So, I recently found out that a local animal shelter actually puts animals down if they've been in the shelter along time.The HUGE animal lover that I am, wasn't very happy with this. So, I decided to find ways to help raise money to help prevent that, to buy supplies they need to help take care of the animals and hopefully help find them homes. I came up with "Candles for Charity" its an insanely stupid name for it, but thats just how I ended up naming it. I enjoy making candles, and I thought, why no make them for a good cause? All the profits from them would go straight to helping animals.

I just need alot of opinions on this before I start making millions of candles, haha.

Thanks
  • What kind of candles are you talking about? Stick candles, jar candles, votives? Do you make different scents? How much do you plan on selling for? I LOVE CANDLES! I'd buy some if they were the right kind for the right price, tell me more! :-) It's super nice of you to think of doing something like that.
  • The holidays are coming up, and that means holiday bazaars!!! It hopefully isn't too short notice - I'm sure there are some craft bazaars planned soon in your community. If you think it's possible to make enough candles to sell by then, what a great way to get yourself out there! Everyone loves candles during the winter, and you could make them holiday- or winter-themed too.
  • I really just know how to make gel candles, but I can put them in basically anything. I already made two that are in these old fashioned jars (i'll post a pic below) I can add scents to them, or colors, but I think in gel you can't have both. But I can make jar and votives. I've made margarita candles too for friends. I probably wouldn't sell them for more than 5 dollars. Depends on the size, the gel wax isn't that cheap. The scents arn't that cheap either.

Here's some pictures:

"Old Fashioned" they have a cranberry vanilla scent. The only two I have though.

The last two I made for a friend.
  • i think it sounds like a wonderful idea, my only thought after reading is have you spoke with the shelter? will providing them with some extra money be enough to make them keep the animals longer? and how much longer will they keep them? will they still end up putting them down? are they already overcrowded and if people keep bringing in more animals what happens? i hate the thought of animals being put down. i would just want some more answers from the shelter before proceeding. i know that the shelter where i am at is always looking for contributions, food, money, or whatever else they may need b/c i don't think a lot of people think about what it costs to have one open. i think raising money for the shelter is a great idea! i know that they would be grateful to you for helping them out. i'm just saying ask more questions. if you are wanting to do this to try to prevent animals from being put down, make sure that is what you are going to get. great idea though!
  • Well, I was just about to email the United States Humane Society. I used to donate to them every month. I thought it would be nicer to donate them because they help animal shelthers all over the US. Not just the one near me. I think it would be nicer to help with all of them instead of just one.

I'll talk to them and let you guys know what they say
  • My advice would be to talk to the shelter and tell them your concern and interest. You might be able to work with them and maybe they could help host an event or something.

It may be their policy that no matter what they will put animals down. You may actually have better success working with local rescue organizations. Rescue organizations will often take animals out of shelters before they are put down. Also, does your shelter have a foster program? Could you be a foster parent for animal? How about being a volunteer?

There are very few county/city shelters that won't put animals down. I know my local shelter will put animals down but they do everything to adopt animals out and its just a matter of space. They have a huge foster program and they have lots of community outreach projects.
  • Just a thought... what kind of liabilities are you taking on? Will you need to get insurance? What bookkeeping will you need to do to make sure that you don't get into any kind of tax trouble?

Sorry, but I work in insurance, so this is how I think. I would be concerned about product liability exposures. What if one of the candles broke and a fire started? Whether you did anything wrong at all doesn't matter sometimes when their is a lawsuit.
  • While I think it is a very honorable idea, the reasons why they put the animals down in the first place is because they are overcrowded. An overcrowded shelter is not a good environment for an animal. They do not get the attention they need. Food and shelter is just the beginning of an animal's basic needs.

As Slashnl mentioned, you also need to be aware of state/federal laws regarding these kinds of charities. You, most likely, will need some sort of license and a tax code. It seems like a lot of work to start, but if neglected can end up costing you thousands in fines.

This link may give you some of the answers to the more mundane aspects of starting this endeavor.
    http://www.wikihow.com/Start-a-Charity

I encourage you to find a way to raise awareness about adopting animals from the shelters, and in general making wise decisions before buying a pet in the first place so they do not end up in the shelter. Population control is also important. Most shelters offer a reduced price on spaying and neutering, especially if the animal is a stray.
  • Quote: My advice would be to talk to the shelter and tell them your concern and interest. You might be able to work with them and maybe they could help host an event or something.

It may be their policy that no matter what they will put animals down. You may actually have better success working with local rescue organizations. Rescue organizations will often take animals out of shelters before they are put down. Also, does your shelter have a foster program? Could you be a foster parent for animal? How about being a volunteer?

There are very few county/city shelters that won't put animals down. I know my local shelter will put animals down but they do everything to adopt animals out and its just a matter of space. They have a huge foster program and they have lots of community outreach projects.
    I agree with Nelie....talk with the shelter first. Your best bet would to move on to help the rescue organizations...these are the ones that will help remove animals from that shelter that are at an immediate risk to be put down.

I do wildlife rehab so I'll get a call from our local shelter if they happen to get a "domesticated" wild animal....I'll then go pick it up and hopefully teach it to live back in the wild. If they are too imprinted then I use these as education animals and work with the local zoo in educating the public about these animals. Not the same, I know, but without donations and grants I wouldn't be able to do this.
  • Thanks for the opinions guys.
  • Talk to the shelter and if they aren't willing to work with you, look for a local rescue organization. Rescues take animals from shelters, house, feed and train them and find them "forever" homes. They are always in need of donations.
  • my mom runs a non profit animal rescue and i know they always appreciate donations of any kind whether it's money or supplies.
  • Quote: Well, I was just about to email the United States Humane Society. I used to donate to them every month. I thought it would be nicer to donate them because they help animal shelthers all over the US. Not just the one near me. I think it would be nicer to help with all of them instead of just one.

I'll talk to them and let you guys know what they say
    Do whatever is right for you. But I think it is just great when your efforts can be local and connected to you. It builds community.
  • i think its a great effort you want to do..but definately talk to the shelter first. I'm a veterinarian and was once a shelter vet. What i will tell you about shelter medicine..many won't like or understand. due to the massive amount of overpopulation...kill shelters are a necessity. Until people start spaying/neutering their pets...it will always be a necessity. What happens with a no kill shelter is either one of two things..either
    1. the nokill shelter gets filled up very fast and can no longer take animals in or
    2. the nokill shelter takes too many pets over their required amount they can contain...that starts the spread of diseases and causes many animals to be euthanized due to chronic sickness.
    While a no kill shelter is great and wonderful..until people start taking responsibilities for their pets (spay/neuter) kill shelters will always be a necessity. I hated doing what i had to do (i was actually a army veterinarian with a animal shelter on post). But i also knew i had to do it. i've been to no kill shelter and have seen some at their best and worse. If they over populate their shelter (which a lot want to do) then animals get sick and sometimes never recover..no matter how good cleaning procedure are etc. i wish you luck in what you want to do, just talk to the shelter first.