General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-15-2008, 09:13 PM   #1  

Height: 5'2"

Default But what if you're SHORT??

Would appreciate any advice on finding exercise equipment suitable for someone with short legs! I would love a recumbent bike, but can't find any where I can REACH the peddles comfortably.

Thanks!
pmhlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:36 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/188/120

Height: 5'4"

Hi, at the gym I go to almost all the machines are adjustable in one way or another. I'm not much taller than you and I go to the gym. My trainer only has me on cardio just before our sessions to get my heart rate up (usually I'm on the elipitcal) and then we work on weights. The machines he says help burn calories but don't do alot for building muscle - and I feel his point the day after every session...believe me! Haven't been sore using the machines as I am after working out with him. Anyway, hope this helps...Colleen

chunckymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 09:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

One of the first things the gym owner did was show me how to adjust everything for short people. The recumbant bike I like goes two notches shorter than I need even.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:28 PM   #4  

Default Looking to *buy*

Guess I should have made it clearer: I am looking to purchase a recumbent bike. Generally, lots of stuff at the gym can indeed be adjusted to fit me, but when it comes to *buying* a recumbent bike, I am hitting a wall!
Old 11-15-2008, 11:42 PM   #5  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

We are NOT short! We are vertically challenged!
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:46 PM   #6  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

I bought a True Performance Series PS 900 recumbent bike. It is adjustable even lower then I need and I'm also 5 foot 2- AND my 6 foot 4 husband also uses it comfortably. Very easy to adjust and is the best bike we found. We also looked everywhere and couldn't find anything that we thought was good enough for the price. We bought a floor model from a professional store and it cost us about $2000.00
We had to search for anywhere that even sells professional grade stuff- but well we're heavy and we want it to last and it was worth the money for us.
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:31 PM   #7  

Default Biting the bullet

Thank you! I guess I won't find a bike at Sears or WalMart. There are several serious fitness places here, so I may just have to bite the bullet and fork out some big $$.

Last edited by pmhlb; 11-17-2008 at 03:43 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:18 PM   #8  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Even with adjustments, I have to sit on the edge of the seat.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:54 PM   #9  
I'm a khaleesi!!

S/C/G: 260/188/130

Height: 5'3"

I'm shorter then you and have no problems on recument bikes (hint: there is usually a lever under the seat to adjust it).
I enjoy the treadmill and the elliptical also.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 06:00 AM   #10  

Hi Ghost,
The seat adjustment does not make a difference for me; the problem is that my legs are proportionately shorter than most 5'2" folks. Yestderday, I found a very low SCHWINN bike with a HUGE adjustment range. So it looks like my problem is solved!
Old 11-23-2008, 07:17 PM   #11  

Default Ironman 'Charger' recumbent bike -- soliciting comments!

I decided against the Schwinn, as I learned that parts are not readily available for it (older model). I have decided to buy a *new* bike! I went shopping today and found a very unique recumbent bike: the 'Charger' by Ironman. It fit me (!), has some nice gadgets, is easy on the eyes, and has a fantastic seat. Has anyone had any experience with Ironman equipment? See it at ironmanfitness.com/product.php?id=charger&cat=bikes
Looking forward to your comments. Thanks!

P

Last edited by pmhlb; 11-23-2008 at 07:27 PM.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:57 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Are you wearing sneakers with decent sized soles when you try the bike? I'm 2 inches taller than you, true, but I can usually get the bike to more into a small enough position to make me comfy.
kelly315 is offline   Reply With Quote