General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 11-05-2008, 10:18 AM   #16  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

That is awesome. Wow. Unchartered waters. Bon Voyage!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:34 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Colleen~this is wonderful news!! But shouldn't you have posted it in mini goals rather than general chatter? Don't get me wrong--you'll probably get more views here. Especially from those of us who cherish what you have to say.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:28 PM   #18  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Mini goals may have been a better place for it - but I wasn't even aware of that particular forum. I browse the site by "New Posts," rather than specific forums (and often find myself posting to a thread without even realizing what forum I'm posting in), so for someone who's been around so long I'm not as familiar with all of the forums as you'd expect.

If it belongs somewhere else and a moderator feels it should be moved, I certainly would have no objections. I just wasn't even thinking of this as a goal met, but just generic good news. Part of it, I think is that I no longer think of weight loss as a goal (not that it isn't a wonderful consequence), but my goals aren't weight related at all (I know that may sound rather stupid, being this is a weight loss site), because I think goals should be actions rather than results. And while "losing weight" seems like an action (after all it is linguistically a verb), it's more a consequence of other behaviors, than a true action. My only goals are to sleep and eat better and move more than before (which ideally will result in weight loss, but even if it doesn't will have other wonderful consequences in health and personal satisfaction).

Don't get me wrong - I love the weight loss. I get on the scale every day, and when the weight goes down, I celebrate - and when it goes up, I'm a bit disappointed, but my real goal is improving my health through increasing healthy habits. The weight really is "bonus." One of my big - ultimate goals is to be able to horseback ride. To do so, I'm going to have to strengthen my back and legs alot, and for the horse's sake, wait until I've lost a lot more weight (or find a saddle-trained draft horse).

It's so easy to make this about the numbers - feeling the need to celebrate this milestone shows that as much as I try, it's hard even for me to escape the number focus. I'd love to see more of us celebrate "hey I could tie my shoes today without holding my breath," or "I don't need blood pressure medication anymore," than to make it about the numbers, but I guess it's part of the process. Still, I really do think that the less about the numbers it becomes, the more healthy it is. Trying to find my optimal level of health and happiness at whatever number that ends up being, is my ultimate goal - and that's a little hard to put milestones on.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:56 PM   #19  

Height: 5' 8"

That is just too awesome for words!

I know what you mean about the "numbers" but we are such a numbers driven society, whether it's hours in the day or miles driven, I think it's sort of ingrained in us to pay attention to them. 60 lbs gone through healthy choices and changing bad habits is an absolutely wonderful number to pay attention to. You celebrate all you want!
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:02 PM   #20  
needs constant reminding

S/C/G: 164/maintenance since 8/08

Height: 5'4"

congrats to you, Kaplods

kittycat40 is offline   Reply With Quote