Mape Syrup To Sweeten A Pie?

• I have the apple pie in the oven, am supposed to take it to a party, now am having second thoughts. It was from a Taste of Home magazine ... When I tasted the pure maple syrup "naked," it didn't taste quite like I remembered (not as flavorful or yummy.) I'm an experienced cook/baker, and know better than to do something new for a group! The original recipe was for pears and cranberries, but you could substitute apples for the pears ... which I did as I could find no ripe pears. The pie has a walnut-crumb topping ... which I can sneak a fork past to taste if the pie's too sweet ... OR NOT! Just wondered if anyone else here has sweetened with the syrup??? Thanks ...
  • I've never tried that, but it sounds delicious! There are different grades of pure maple syrup, some taste more maple than others. I personally prefer grade B, which is cheaper but seems to have more flavor - at least to me.

Your pie really sounds delicious and I'm sure will taste it as well
  • Your pie sounds delicious! I'm sure it will be fabulous....send any leftovers my way, 'kay?
  • Suzanne and midwife, thanks for your replies!

The pie was absolutely GREAT! If you like cranberries, you would love it. Got lots of compliments at the party ...