General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 10-03-2008, 10:20 AM   #31  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

The thing with Anne Rice is that it is just painful for me to read. I read Interview with a Vampire and suffered through it.

As for changing tastes, I used to read lots of VC Andrews stuff when I was in high school. Lots of mindless stuff. Either in college or shortly after college, I tried to pick up one of her books and couldn't get through the first few pages. I couldn't believe I used to read her stuff! (and I mean like 20 books at least)
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:28 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
As for changing tastes, I used to read lots of VC Andrews stuff when I was in high school. Lots of mindless stuff. Either in college or shortly after college, I tried to pick up one of her books and couldn't get through the first few pages. I couldn't believe I used to read her stuff! (and I mean like 20 books at least)
Oh same here. Except I think I read somewhere that VC Andrews is just a pseudonym for a group of writers? I don't remember details but I seem to recall reading that the 'real' VC Andrews may have written the first 2 or 3 books (the Flowers in the Attic series) and after that it was a bunch of other people?

Hm. Now I have to go look that up.

Edited: Ok, looked up. So the first 8 books were hers and the remaining books were ghost written by someone hired by her estate. Oh well.

Last edited by PhotoChick; 10-03-2008 at 10:31 AM.
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:35 AM   #33  
Just Me

yeah VC andrews died but left lots of notes on books and a ghost writer (or multiple) wrote the rest. Still they are all the same style. And I say 'her' really in reference to the overall style/theme/etc.

Last edited by nelie; 10-03-2008 at 10:36 AM.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:40 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Oh yeah, I LOVED Flowers in the attic. I'll have to look into Georgette Heyer. I love well-researched historical fiction. I worked my way through almost everything in the Jean Plaidy oevre (she also writes as Victoria Holt, but preferred the Jean Plaidy stuff).

It is funny how tastes change. If you had asked me 20 years ago, my top 10 would have included Flowers in the Attic and a couple of choice romance books! (of course, many of my favorite books weren't published 20 years ago, but I hope know what I mean).
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:03 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Oh yeah. I love Jean Plaidy. Her Victoria Holt stories are a little more "gothic romance" and the Plaidy stuff is more straight historical fiction, I think.

You and I seem to have similar reading tastes, Glory!

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:14 AM   #36  
I heart 3FC

S/C/G: 210/197/135

Height: 5'2" Age: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephi View Post
I'm a big Agatha Christie fan too.

My favorite is And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie. I was forced to read it in 8th grade, and I loved it!
Ooh, that's another good one! I was on an Agatha Christie kick for a while in college, I should read some of those again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazza View Post
Its probably easier to list authors:

- Stephen King
- Dean Koontz
- Chuck Palahniuk
- Bret Easton Ellis
Do you like the Odd Thomas series by Dean Koontz? The first book is another of my all-time favorites.

Last edited by just keep swimming; 10-03-2008 at 11:14 AM.
just keep swimming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:01 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

My favorite Dean Koontz books are: Lightning, Watchers and Strangers. I read everything he wrote for years, but realized I was enjoying his books less and less. I tried to read the first Odd Thomas book and just got horribly annoyed (ditto the Seize the Night books). I've given up on him now - which is a shame.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:17 PM   #38  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

The Diary of Anne Frank.
Rain of Gold by Victor Villasenor
I used to love Flowers in the Attic too.
I love any books on the subject of weight loss for inspirational purposes.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:36 PM   #39  
Just Me

Oh I remember reading the Diary of Anne Frank when I was young and I loved it.

Funny thing is I've NEVER heard the name Victor Villasenor mentioned outside of my family! I was sure that the books he had written weren't read by anyone. He is a quasi friend of the family.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:44 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 327/270/199

Height: 5'11

My favorite book is Redeeming Love. It's so good.

I also loved reading Little Women as a child.
Here we go again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 01:55 PM   #41  
happy in her own world

S/C/G: 260/260/130

Height: 5'2"

ollie - funny you should mention George RR Martin - I'm re-reading the series again right now. And it is making out to be the best series I've ever read. Only problem is- he's behind schedule and I'm dying for the next one to come out. I started reading them again because some liar in the bookstore told me that his next one was coming out end of September. Not true... :C So- if I wasn't mad at him, he would have made my list too.
lizziep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 05:27 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 252/223/160

Smile

Wow! I love this thread!
My first book I fell in love with was Where the Red Fern Grows.
Went through my share of Romance novels.. Then was hooked on the Old Stephen King and Dean Koontz novels. I read almost all of the VC Andrews books up until about 10 yrs. ago.
Currently I have read:
Jodi Piccoult's Nineteen minutes, The Tenth Circle, My sister's Keeper, and Change of Heart. Outlander series, Luanne Rice books, Beach Music (Loved it) all of the Harry Potters, Alex Cross Series by James Patterson, Water for Elephants, The Red Tent, The Kite Runner, The Life of Pi (loved it), The Book Thief (really good!!Really Loved it!) The Secret Life of Bees (can't wait to see the movie!)The Mermaid Chair, The Pilot's Wife, The Time Traveler's Wife...I could go on and on and on...but I guess I will stop. If I think of one that I just have to share, I will send another post. BTW..I am now reading Pillars of the Earth (really like it but am only half way through. When you really love a book, don't the characters stay with you? They almost feel like family. Happy Reading!!!
Hattie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:12 PM   #43  
=D

Quote:
Originally Posted by just keep swimming View Post

Do you like the Odd Thomas series by Dean Koontz? The first book is another of my all-time favorites.
In all honesty, I didn't like the Odd thomas series as much of some of his other books. Of his recent ones, I'd have to say that Life Expectancy was the one that I enjoyed the most.

Glory87 - I totally agree. I've stopped enjoying his books and thought that his last effort - The Darkest Evening of The Year -wasn't anywhere as good as the stuff he wrote in the 80s and 90s. He's just lost his p-zazz. (yes, invented word)

=D
mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:15 PM   #44  
Choosing with every bite.

S/C/G: 212.5/182/155

Height: 5' 7"

Several of my favorites were already named - so to avoid repeats, here are some that I love that were not named yet.

Instead of the Thorn (Georgette Heyer, but not a Regency)
Guns, Germs & Steel, Jared Diamond, Non-fiction
A Painted House, John Grisham (future American Classic)
Holes, Louis Sachar
The Princess and Curdie, The Princess & the Dragon George McDonald
The Sharpe Series, Bernard Cornwell
The Camulod Series, Jack Whyte
Shell Seekers, Rosamunde Pilcher
The Pern Series, Anne McCaffrey (& some of the later ones Todd McCaffrey)
Wrinkle in Time, Madeleine L'Engle
1632 Eric Flint
Little House on the Prairie series, Laura Ingalls Wilder

And I'm sure I'll think of several more that I won't be able to believe I missed.

Last edited by WebRover; 10-04-2008 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Added Little House
WebRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:40 PM   #45  
I heart 3FC

S/C/G: 210/197/135

Height: 5'2" Age: 28

Ooh, Louis Sachar! I LOVED the Wayside School books when I was a kid, and reread one of them when my college roommate took a children's literature class. Still hilarious and really clever.
just keep swimming is offline   Reply With Quote