General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 08-16-2008, 03:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 154/140/ undecided 129ish ?

Height: 5.6

Angry And people wonder why i dont like going outside....

Well I finally got the motivation to go out for a walk this evening, which is hard enough for me as it is. let alone within 10 minutes to be faced by a group of teenage boys and being harrassed called emo and other names etc...i thought hmm well whatever not like they are going to do anything. To then walk another 20mins to be faced with another couple of teenagers who proceeded to call me emo and such now no offence to the people who are not like this but when i go out and cause no harm to others or say any horrible things, i find it quite upsetting that i get harrasment from others ...which then reminds me why i had social phobia to begin and that some humans are just there to make life harder for others. Not only this but reminds me that maybe i should not try to go outside and sit indoors instead .... now i hate to ***** but i am finding this world we live in harder and harder to get by in and i must say it is getting me quite down
makelovenotwarcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 04:05 PM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I'm SO sorry that happened to you! Unfortunately, there are many crazy people out there in the world. I was once driving in my car when I was a teenager and there was a car full of teeneagers next to me. Well, as they were driving off...one of them spit right on my face. He didn't have the nerve to do it earlier, when I could have done something about it. Really, though, what could I have done? Those teenagers are not normal. I don't really get why they harassed you like they did....I just don't understand. Either way, you should be very proud of the fact that you continued to walk. I know this might be a dumb question, but what about putting on some headphones and listening to music? Maybe if they see that you can't even hear them, they might not bother with the comments. I don't know if you believe in God or Karma, but I think they'll get what's coming to them. I hope you hang in there and know that sometimes, a few people ruin it for the rest of us (think of terorrists), but we can't hide in our homes, because then they win.

Huge bear hugs to you!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 04:08 PM   #3  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

You should REALLY look in to taking a self defense course! It's exercise in a safe environment (yay!) you're learning how to kick people's *** (Yay!) and it'll give you a new outlook on going out in public, which will make you stand straighter and walk more firm, and people will be more intimidated and leave you alone so you can avoid jerks like them (YAY!)

But - I am really sorry that you had to go through that.. I live on campus at my university and we get drunk punks like that all the time, and it makes me REALLY uncomfortable too.
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 04:11 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I thought emo was more a compliment than an insult among teens. My niece proudly calls herself emo on her my space page and I didn't know what it was, so I looked it up and it refers to a people wholike and identify with a type of neopunk music "emotional hardcore," and secondly the kind of clothing you wear that reflects that preference.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 04:18 PM   #5  
Just keep breathing!

REALLY emo is also stereotyped for idolizing suicide/cutting, clinical depression, everything being the "end of the world" and melodramatic (ie; I got a papercut, it represents the black abyss of my soul) and general weakness. (Plus bisexuality, and a disregard for cultural norms) It's been glamorized in pop music, and because it hits the pre-teen early teen age group the hardest, it's easier for the puberty-aged kids to "feel alone, together" so it took off like a wild fire.

Now, of COURSE I'm not saying your niece is one of -those- stereotyped emos. She probably just likes the music and the style - but thats the explanation behind the bullying.

I had to explain "Emo" to my sister and her friends a few summers ago. (They're all in their late twenties so they missed out on the age group phenomenon) and we found this video - which is making fun of emo, so it's pretty crude (and might be offensive, but that's not what I'm aiming for), but it shows the "outsider" view of people our age, on the emo community.

Last edited by GradPhase; 08-16-2008 at 04:23 PM.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:29 PM   #6  
Used to be Archy

S/C/G: 220/171/145

Height: 5'4

Kaplods, wearing emo type clothes will get you harassed or physically assaulted in many places, though. I don't understand why that is. In Latin America I thought it was because the guys will wear really tight pants or women's jeans and it was just an extension of the general homophobia there.

I'm sorry you went through that makelovenotwarcraft. It's hard when you're different from your peers. Don't let it get you down, let it get you stronger. It does take a while. When I was in my punk phase (think mid 90's) I would get relentlessly teased in my neighborhood. I then started walking around like if people crossed me, I would spit on them. Come to think about it, I kinda miss those days...

Anyway, it took me a while to get the courage to just go out and be myself, but it is worth it.
Eves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 04:30 PM   #7  
Giving no Ground

S/C/G: 245/217/135

Height: 5'5"

Makelovenotwarcraft... I'm not sure why they would call you Emo unless you were wearing/doing something they would consider that or if you have had a history with them. I can understand your discomfort with being harassed. I think it's just a teenager thing. I would recommend either standing up to them or finding something you can do in the house, maybe a work out DVD? Or maybe you could pick up an exercise bike for cheap... I know the small table top ones you can get for $45 though I don't know how effective they are.

Kaplods... I come from the more Goth/Punk side of the spectrum, and we've been around much longer than Emo and to many in these genera's to be called Emo would be an insult. Eskinomad is absolutely right with the stereo type

(I'm 33 now still 'n still a freak)
Skullarix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 04:34 PM   #8  
Waiting on a hot body

S/C/G: 165/153/135

Height: 5'7"

Don't worry about it too much. Emo is a compliment these days :P So many people are trying to be emo esp highschoolers.

I went for a walk in a seemingly ok area a few months back. I was out for a total of 5 mins before I started to walk back. In that time, I was spit at one time by a black woman walking the opposite way of me and 2 other times, a car pulled up and asked me to get in. I never went back to that neighborhood, but it's very hit and miss it seems. Just try a new spot. I run a 3 mile route that is GREAT and I have yet to get harrassed!
MalibuBeachBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 04:39 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 154/140/ undecided 129ish ?

Height: 5.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuBeachBound View Post
Don't worry about it too much. Emo is a compliment these days :P So many people are trying to be emo esp highschoolers.

I went for a walk in a seemingly ok area a few months back. I was out for a total of 5 mins before I started to walk back. In that time, I was spit at one time by a black woman walking the opposite way of me and 2 other times, a car pulled up and asked me to get in. I never went back to that neighborhood, but it's very hit and miss it seems. Just try a new spot. I run a 3 mile route that is GREAT and I have yet to get harrassed!
Yea i mean i understand some people want to be called it but when i have dressed the way i have since i can rember it is quite insulting to suddenly be called emo because other people have decided they want to dress certain ways / act emo or whatever i have no intention to be that i am just being me the person i have always been. And yes i must say i like the martial arts idea at the moment i don't think i could hurt a fly ^_^
makelovenotwarcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 04:42 PM   #10  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

I second the vote for headphones. Then just keep on walkin...

BTW - I had quite the freak phase myself - purple mohawk and all...Hey - it was the 80's, people.
chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 04:45 PM   #11  
Waiting on a hot body

S/C/G: 165/153/135

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by makelovenotwarcraft View Post
Yea i mean i understand some people want to be called it but when i have dressed the way i have since i can rember it is quite insulting to suddenly be called emo because other people have decided they want to dress certain ways / act emo or whatever i have no intention to be that i am just being me the person i have always been. And yes i must say i like the martial arts idea at the moment i don't think i could hurt a fly ^_^
Yeah, I see what you are saying but it's awesome that you have your own recognizable style and you aren't afraid to show it. I wasn't like that until recently. It shows that you have a lot of self confidence, probably even more than you give yourself credit for having but with the martial arts thing... not a bad idea. It can be quite fun and rewarding as well. Good luck.
MalibuBeachBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 04:46 PM   #12  
Just keep breathing!

Every rape resource and help organization says NOT to use headphones if you're walking alone because your guard is down and you can't hear whats going on around you, making you a prime target.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:38 PM   #13  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

im sorry that happened. I remember what my old martial arts teacher said: "Some people are just a**holes, because they like being a**holes, and they dont want to change". Its not something that is to do with you, its probably them just feeling insecure and wanting to look cool in front of their peers. They are the sad ones, not you

I agree with the martial arts idea! I've been doing one since i was about 14 and i have never regretted it
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 06:43 PM   #14  

When I used to walk quite a bit -- I would wear headphones, just wouldn't turn them on The jerks who had comments to say stopped, because they thought I wasn't listening but I could still hear the wierdos who were approaching.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 07:04 PM   #15  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby897 View Post
When I used to walk quite a bit -- I would wear headphones, just wouldn't turn them on The jerks who had comments to say stopped, because they thought I wasn't listening but I could still hear the wierdos who were approaching.
wow thats such a smart idea! I never thought of that
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote